Old 07-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
NextGen 3.5 won't turn over

I want to get my NextGen 3.5 working at which time I will decide to sell it and use the money for solar or keep it. The issue is it will not turn over, the mechanic says it is a fuel injector and that a new one is around $700. Before I buy this does anyone know where I might be able to get one cheaper?

I have thoroughly blown the repair budget this year
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #2

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
Lollygag, not really sure if your problem is like mine but every so often my nextgen won’t start up either. I open the sound shield and pump the arm with the grey boot that I am pointing at in the picture to the left several times then try to start the genny. Sometimes it works the first time and sometimes I have to repeat once or twice and then it usually cranks over. I have no idea what that think is all I know is that it helps my issue, perhaps it might help you too.
Attached Thumbnails
EB0B449B-E573-49A9-9982-982AA21589B1.jpg  
Freeport, NY
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
Guru

Thanks, I will give that a try tomorrow. I have had that stick before and had to pull it to get gen to shut off. If it works I owe ya one.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #4

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
Hopefully it will and if we ever get up your way I will take you up on it.
Freeport, NY
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #5
Dwk

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
First off I'm no generator mechanic but fail to see how a fuel injector will not allow the genset to turn over. Fuel injectors deliver fuel, starters turn the diesel engine over. I bought a new injector for a larger diesel for far less ($245), $700 seems very expensive for a fuel injector.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #6
Guru

Thanks that was my thought too. I am slowly starting to learn how to maintain some of the mechanical stuff. Using this year to learn how to do this so I can save some money but also be prepared in case something goes wrong
Old 07-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
By "turn over" do you mean the starter does not crank or the engine does not run?
You can remove the injector and take it to an injector repair shop for a rebuild. Google "injector repair shop near me" and give one a call.

Looking at the NextGen site, the 3.5 is a single cylinder 7 hp Kubota diesel with Bosch injection. That injector should be common and readily available.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
Older 3.5 had some problems with the exhaust corrosion and letting water drip back down into the cylinder. It’s a direct shot. The new ones Send the water downstream and can not do this. The old one looks like a polished bean can. The new one is bent pipe with orange insulation.
Now let’s get some facts straight. Will the starter crank over the engine? If so is the electric fuel pump suppling fuel to the injector pump. Next is the fuel shut off working? You can pull this manually.next is fuel getting to the injector? Test by loosening fuel nut at the injector and crank engine. I am the Long Island dealer for Next-Gen and can help but you must be more specific as to what is happening
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #9
Arc
Guru

Name:  51E2B746-E62F-40B1-86D6-786E57FA7839.jpeg
Views: 222
Size:  38.2 KB

Old and new
Old 07-13-2020, 06:09 PM   #10
Guru

When you crank the starter it just makes a sound like it is trying to start but does not. If you do it enough times it may start and run fine. But if I then shut it off and try to start again the same issue. So far we replaced the relay, glow plug and fuel filter.

I will check the exhaust tomorrow to see it it is old or new version. The generator was rarely used before we got the boat, I don’t have the install records but it is likely 2013-14ish

Thanks for the help
Old 07-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #11

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Get a better mechanic.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:14 PM   #12
Arc
Guru

Check Fuel quality, electric fuel pump, trapped air in injector line, fuel solenoid shut down, oil sender, over temp sender
Old 07-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #13
Arc
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwestman View Post
Get a better mechanic.
op should learn his machinery. He can do this.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #14
Guru

This is why I posted, I wanted others to chime in. I am going to try to fix. I am not very confident mechanically but slowly getting better.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #15

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Not implying that you can't fix it yourself. I would get a better mechanic to look at it and diagnose the problem. Then learn to fix it myself. Best way to learn your equipment is to learn from someone who knows what they are doing.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #16
Guru

I know what you are suggesting. The yard mechanic is a bit of a curmudgeon so getting info and learning from him is out. Working on options for a better mechanic.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:10 PM   #17
Dwk

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
The manual for this generator has a trouble shooting section that's comprehensive Have a look ,your problem is covered.. http://www.nextgenerationpower.com/I...rt/UCM1-35.pdf
Old 07-13-2020, 08:20 PM   #18
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I went through hell with my 3.5 NG and ended up packing it off to the factory in Jacksonville. The price differential between fixing mine and getting a new one was low enough that I just bought a new one. Because Hurricane Michael blew my pier and lift down, the boat lived in the water for 18 months with the NG's exhaust facing a long fetch which can generate 2-3 footers for short periods in a bad blow. I was running the generator once a week to ensure all was well, and then one day it did not budge with a fully charged battery. I pulled the glow plug and with a rag in front of the opening hit the starter. The engine rolled over easily and pumped a cylinder full of seawater into the rag. Reassembled and started ok. Then two or three oil changes to make sure all was well. Good thing I was starting it as often as I was. The new one is still not a lot better getting started, but it runs. I also found out that the manual is quite correct about running 30% antifreeze (ethylene glycol I believe) in hot summer water here. I was getting overheat shutdowns until I switched from 50-50 premix I use in my Yanmar. I run it HARD. My first 3.5 NG had no fuse in the power line to the 12 Volt DC exhaust fan, and when that piece of junk Jabsco squirrel cage fan motor seized up, the whole DC wiring harness burned up and filled the boat with white smoke at 2200 in an anchorage far from home on a hot night - I shifted bunks to my brother's Grand Banks 42 to which I was rafted. The new harness I ordered came with a fuse, hmmmm. However, I had a better idea. I was able to shoehorn a Vents AC brushless centrifugal fan of about the same CFM as the Jabsco back in behind the genny. In order that it not be subjected to a bunch of spikey voltages at genny start, I installed a 30 second time delay for it. I NEED that cooling fan down here, but others have said up north not so much. My boat has a 13.5 kBtu rooftop air conditioner as well as a 10 kBtu Dometic Turbo marine AC unit (upgraded from the inadequate and then failed 7 kBtu marine AC the boat came with). Believe it or not, my 3.5 NG can run both ACs because I installed Micro-Air Easy Start circuit boards into both of them reducing the startup surge by 70% - it is hard to hear it take on the load when the compressors kick in. I think all that could have sent a kid to Auburn on out of state tuition rates for a year. Oh, and I really like the local start rig (with integral hour meter) the new genny came with because it allows me to flip the motor lid and be right there on top of it to start it instead of the insanely located starting switch on the power panel the boat came with - it's OK sometimes, but not always the best, especially with no hour meter.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:20 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
When you say it won’t turn over, I would take that to mean that the starter won’t engage and crank the engine. If you mean that it will not start then that is a completely different issue. I also see no way that an injector would stop the engine from cranking. It certainly could stop the engine from starting. Find a good mechanic and have him/her to tutor you on the engines. Pay them for an hour or so of time teaching you and it will be a good investment.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:25 AM   #20
Guru

Checked this morning and it has the old "bean can" exhaust. The engine is cranking just not starting. As stated if i am persistent I can sometimes get it to start. Wife's uncle who has done all his own work on a MS30 is going to come down and futz with it.