Old 12-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Michigan City, Ind
Next silly question A/C

Went to website for Active Captain. Saw a bunch of ads for different Operating Systems: Windows, Apple, linux, android, Iphone, etc. Not being all that computer savvy, just enough to know there are no Nigerian Princes trying to give me money, I did not find anything referencing my OS (google chrome) unless the Android apps are compatible. Did run a sample on the android and it seemed to work ok but was only a sample. Any computer guru/geeks got any input on this? Of course I mean geeks only in the very best light. My 15 year old granddaughter is waaay better at this than I am but she's in school right now!
Wanderin Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Chrome supports Android and is in the process of being rolled into it. Very few computers running on Chrome as an O/S rather than as just a browser. I assume you have some kind of chromebook?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #3

City: Jacksonville,Fl
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: Chien Hwa Senator 43
Google is a browser, not an operating system. If you are using a computer (laptop or desk type) that was NOT made by Apple then you are probably running Windows. I hope this helps a little.
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
There are no ads on the ActiveCaptain website. If there is, I'd sure like to find out who's paying for them...

There is no app support for Chrome. No developer has ever asked about Chrome support. I'd certainly help the get there but there just isn't that much use of it. There are multiple Android ways to use ActiveCaptain offline.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB View Post
Google is a browser, not an operating system. If you are using a computer (laptop or desk type) that was NOT made by Apple then you are probably running Windows. I hope this helps a little.
Mostly correct, but Google does actually have an operating system. It's used on Chromebooks. When used on a desktop it requires Chromebit, which is a dongle that lets your desktop respond like laptop. It's based on a Linux Kernel, open source version is Chromium. There are quite a few manufacturers building and selling chromebook laptops.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
There are no ads on the ActiveCaptain website. If there is, I'd sure like to find out who's paying for them...

There is no app support for Chrome. No developer has ever asked about Chrome support. I'd certainly help the get there but there just isn't that much use of it. There are multiple Android ways to use ActiveCaptain offline.
Actually a chrome system can handle android apps now. Now, I'm not yet sure what the OP has. But if he has a current version of Chrome OS on a Chromebook, he should have no problem running AC under Android.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Michigan City, Ind
I have a Samsung Chromebook XE 303C as my only laptop/computer. Does everything in "the cloud". When my Windows XP took a dump I knew I was going to have to learn a whole new OS, whether it was 10, Apple, or whatnot, and the guy at Best Buy talked me into going Chrome, for ease of learning (not), no worries about storage or hacking (uh,, somewhat) and downloading rather than CD hard drive. Like I said in OP, my technical skills peak at about an IBM Selectric II with Daisy wheel. My very first computer was a Texas Instrument back before Y2K.
Wanderin Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
The web based A/C site which has the Live Map tab will only run that on a computer that supports Flash- Windows and maybe a Mac. All mobile devices AFAIK, do not support Flash.

But there are plenty of navigation apps for all kinds of devices that do support A/C data. I use Mx Mariner on my Nexus 7, and it looks very similar to the A/C web site, but with GPS navigation capabilities. There are apps for iPads, and others that do the same thing. The A/C web site describes them all.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote