Old 09-24-2018, 04:40 PM   #1

City: Paducah, KY
Newbie Requires Help in Many Areas Please

This is my first post to this forum. As per the title, I am a "newbie" to the world of trawlers and trawleresque vessels. Up to this point my largest boat was a 14' V hull that was originally owned by one of college professors that used it as a "personal" Coast Guard Aux vessel. That said, I would love to have any and all help in the following areas (and any other area you deem appropriate): Used vessels in the $40,000 - $85,000 price range; how to obtain information about courses involved in captaining said boat; classes on maintenance of boat; gas vs diesel; single vs double engines; ideas concerning doing the loop; insurance and tow (AAA for boats) pkgs; etc. I have read everything I could find on this forum and hate asking for repeats; however, I feel that it's imperative to get the most current thoughts and ideas from those of you with experience.

So far my boat search has turned up the following with designs that I tend to like: 1986 Present Sundeck 42,
1984 President 41 Dbl Cabin, 1980 Bluewater 53 Convertible, 1988 Marine Trader 40, 1981 Mainship 40 Pilothouse (SRG), 1979 Bluewater 45, 1978 DeFever Dbl Cabin (Called a Trawler and a Motoryacht?), 1977 Thompson 44, 1974 DeFever 40, and a 1987 Albin 43 Sundeck. I know you're probably saying: "This guy is everywhere with his likes!" I totally agree and for that I would refer you back to the word "NOVICE".

All in all I love the layout style of the 1986 Present Sundeck 42. At 67 yrs. young, I prefer not to have to climb a lot of extremely vertical stairs. Also love the idea of hand rails that are taller - I'm 6'4" if and when I can stand up straight. I also appreciate hand holds in the cabin areas. Aft main cabin w/ensuite head (electric preferred) and guest cabin fwd with guest head would be my choice setup. I seem to like the bimini/isen config. Love the idea of a non-slip surface. Basically - good layout and senior friendly.

Please let me know your ideas - they will all be appreciated (even the ones that I've read that tend to be a little "snarky"). Thanks in advance for helping this Bear find his retirement starting point!
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Welcome!

Wow, a lot to talk about, and you didn't even ask which anchor is the best. Yes, most of those topics, if not all, have been discussed at great length, quite often without conclusion, at least not a conclusion that works for everyone. Reviewing those threads and the wealth of information and contrasting opinions and inputs they contain can be valuable in helping someone reach a conclusion that works for them. Rehashing rarely reveals anything new and sometimes quickly wanders into strange lands.

My opinion: It's best to limit a post to a single topic, read as much as you can on it, ask questions about what you've learned or read but may not be completely clear on or yet able to make a decision, and then use the responses to reach your own conclusions.

Be sure and review Boat Search 101.

You'll get tons of guidance from others. Good luck with your search for truth.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Guru

Have you been on any of these boats yet? I ask because many start off just like you. One of the first things I try to get people to decide on is whether they want sundeck/aftcabin which will require you to climb from the aft cabin/sundeck down to the swim platform anytime you get on/off the boat not at a dock. For me that is a hassle I'll avoid at all costs. I figure if I'm buying I'd just as soon get the design I like. Stern door and cockpit are first choice (34 Mainship/sportfisher style) and aft cabin with walkaround deck like Thompson 44s is second choice. Bringing groceries, pets, or gear onboard from a dinghy in bad weather or a rough anchorage ain't no fun when standing on a swim platform and then having to negotiate a 5-6' vertical slippery ladder. But that's just me, some see that as part of the adventure they can tell their buddies about, "Boy y'all shoulda seen the look on Ethel Mae's face when she went ass over teakettle off the stern ladder with that sack of beer and cold cream........"
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. We have a 41’ President DC. It is a sundeck and we love it. It allows us to sit outside in bad weather. Also gives more room in the aft cabin. It is all a matter of choices. You need to go aboard as many boats as you can and see what fits your needs best. Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Welcome aboard, looks like you have some clear ideas about what you like or not, at least more than me when I was looking to my first boat!

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:46 AM   #6

Many Thanks

GregBrannon - Thanks for the advice. Wow, how did I forget to mention my anchor choices/needs. Guess I'm slipping in my old age. Many thanks for the link to Boat Search 101. That'll be my next stop!

twiisted71 - I appreciate the headsup on the stairs. "Stern door and cockpit are first choice (34 Mainship/sportfisher style) and aft cabin with walkaround deck like Thompson 44s is second choice." DO NOT like vertical stairs. I will certainly keep that in mind. This is why I love this forum. Already getting useful information.

Comodave - I've actually been looking at a 41' President DC as my second choice so far. I rated it a 9 out of 10 of course I'm doing this on a visual basis based on there ad posting. Thanks for the advice on actually go on as many boats as possible. Anything you'd like to share about likes/dislikes about your vessel? Would love to hear more when you have time.

Lou_tribal - My wife of 1month - we both were waiting for each other - sez that I'm meticulous. What she really means is that I'm anal, she just won't say it.

Thanks again everyone. Looking forward to many happy times in this forum. Feel free to add more insights as they come to mind. I remain as always ….

Bear
Old 09-25-2018, 02:06 AM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
There are sundeck style boats with moulded steps leading from the swimstep up to the sundeck here in Australia, namely the Riviera 35 Sundeck/Aft Cabin. They take up some space in the aft cabin, but it still works.

Whether you have boats with similar easy steps, rather than the vertical novice climbing wall with rungs, I know not, but you might. The boat I have in mind is on my marina, and was chosen because it was knee arthritis friendly.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:03 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Welcome aboard TF
Wife of 1 month... have to ask
What are her must / wants in a boat?
Have you asked?
Does she have any / enough boating experience to know what she needs / wants?
I'm serious not trying to be funny... if planning on the loop you will spend a LOT of time on the boat and TOGETHER in a small space. Best to get it right the first time.
Suggest... have her form her must & want list them compare w yours and...
Ah the art of compromise...
Do it her way! (OK now being funny)
Your challenge is to get on enough boats and imagine daily life to really prioritize the lists so you buy your second boat the first time around.
Make the research and search FUN... visit marinas... boat shows...etc to see many and talk to owners about how they use theirs, what they like dislike about their boat for their style of cruising.
If you have a nearby Sail & Power Squadrun aka Americas Boating Club Chapter you would both do well to join and take a few courses... many goid ones to choose from. You will not only learn something but will greatly expand yoyr network of knowledgable folks with similar interests.
'Nuff said... enjoy the quest!!!
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:20 AM   #9

Many Thanks, Don!

"I'm serious not trying to be funny... if planning on the loop you will spend a LOT of time on the boat and TOGETHER in a small space. Best to get it right the first time." I totally agree with this approach.

"Ah the art of compromise...Do it her way! (OK now being funny)" INDEED! I have already learned that as she is a major player in the decoration and museum business.

"Make the research and search FUN... visit marinas... boat shows...etc to see many and talk to owners about how they use theirs, what they like dislike about their boat for their style of cruising." More great advice here!

Thanks again, Don for the wonderful thoughts and ideas. Have been searching out classes in the area. You would think that, within 50 nautical miles of Paducah we have four major rivers and two major lakes, there would be ample classes in one of our area colleges. NOT SO unfortunately. Looks like for now, I'll be starting online. Haven't given up the search and will be planning our next vacation on the search. Thanks again, Bear
Old 09-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #10

City: Central Tennessee
Vessel Name: boatless
Bearman!
Welcome. I first learned to sail on Kenlake. Kayaked all over LBL. Such a gorgeous place.

I too took Power Squadron classes and learned much. But NOTHING has taught me as much as this forum...reading it, asking questions, learning from others in all sorts of boats (but seemingly the same types of issues); this has taught me much.

Then, getting on boats, helping others, walking marinas, talking to owners....this teaches me much still. Every boat owner wants to talk about his boat and what he has done, learned and the mistakes he has seen others do!

It has taken me several boats to find what I want and need (at least at this stage of life). It is ok to buy, learn, cruise some and then find a vessel that further meets your needs (I have known people to buy a different vessel half way through the Loop as they find something better to their liking).

So welcome. Learn. Have a lot of fun. Spend all your money. And soon you will be the guy others turn to for a laugh, wisdom and knowledge.

Tim
kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:43 AM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Hmmm....Anchors, wives, road trips, classes....Not too much I can add.

Aha! Charter.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Greenville KY
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities II
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' ACMY
Good morning Bearman and welcome to the forum. I am pretty new to the forum myself. I have found lots of great discussions on here. I am not far from you; Green Turtle Bay near Barkly Dam. Have you looked at Green Turtle Bay Boats for Sale listing. They have several listed for sale, maybe something that at least you could get on and look at some layouts. If I can help you in any way let me know. Charlie
Bare Necessities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #13
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman View Post
That said, I would love to have any and all help in the following areas (and any other area you deem appropriate): Used vessels in the $40,000 - $85,000 price range; how to obtain information about courses involved in captaining said boat; classes on maintenance of boat; gas vs diesel; single vs double engines; ideas concerning doing the loop; insurance and tow (AAA for boats) pkgs; etc.

Courses re operating: USCG Aux, US Power Squadrons, local clubs, hire a local captain to provide instruction, eventually maybe commercial sea schools (e.g., Annapolis School of Seamanship, and similar).

Courses re maintenance: less easy to find. You have to learn how to be an electrician, plumber, engine guy, HVAC bubba, etc... Engines maybe aren't as difficult (basic diesel courses are especially easy, I think) but often some of the other is trial and error. OTOH, it helps to be active in the owners' club for your particular boat, once you find that; many will have fixed something and can tell you how...

Single vs. double: There is no more current info than what you can read in all the other gazillion threads. There are some factoids, and there are some opinions. I haven't seen a new factoid in years.

Re Loop: Consider joining the AGLCA.

Insurance: Use a broker. And get a policy that includes towing.

Tow packages: get the unlimited from either BoatUS or SeaTow, or both.

As for boat selection... I can only describe our process, which was to break down the concept into specific features we must have, would like to have, etc... The must-haves went something like this:
- Stairs, no ladders
- Good side decks
- swim platform (for big dogs)
- transom door (for big dogs)
- centerline queen (at least) berth
- a dry head
- diesel(s)
- etc etc etc (about 10 more items...)
- with a boat attached.

After that, we went looking at boats.

-Chris
Old 09-25-2018, 08:27 AM   #14

Many Thanks, TIM!

Interesting thoughts Tim.

"I first learned to sail on Kenlake." I take it your lived for a time in Murray?
My first boat was owned my Neil Mason (Music Ed/MSU teacher) who was the Captain of the local Coast Guard Aux.

I've begun doing all of the things you have suggested and am finding them to be true.

"Every boat owner wants to talk about his boat and what he has done, learned and the mistakes he has seen others do!" I'm learning this is also true.

"So welcome. Learn. Have a lot of fun. Spend all your money. And soon you will be the guy others turn to for a laugh, wisdom and knowledge." Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Gotta get moving,
Bear
Old 09-25-2018, 08:34 AM   #15

Many Thanks, Charlie!

Charlie,
"I am not far from you; Green Turtle Bay near Barkley Dam. Have you looked at Green Turtle Bay Boats for Sale listing. They have several listed for sale, maybe something that at least you could get on and look at some layouts. If I can help you in any way let me know."

Thanks for that. I will certainly be in touch. Yes, I have seen at least two boats that I plan on seeing at Green Turtle Bay. Just trying to find the time that the wife and I can do it together. I've learned the old saying is very true, "HAPPY WIFE ~ HAPPY LIFE!"

Thanks again,
Bear
Old 09-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #16

Great Advice Chris! Thanks

"Courses re operating: USCG Aux, US Power Squadrons, local clubs, hire a local captain to provide instruction, eventually maybe commercial sea schools (e.g., Annapolis School of Seamanship, and similar)." Started reaching these yesterday!

"it helps to be active in the owners' club for your particular boat, once you find that; many will have fixed something and can tell you how..." Once again, wonderful advice. Will do that this week.

"Re Loop: Consider joining the AGLCA." YES! I'll do that today!

"Insurance: Use a broker. And get a policy that includes towing.
Tow packages: get the unlimited from either BoatUS or SeaTow, or both. " A must do once again! Thank you for the advice in this area also.

"The must-haves went something like this:
- Stairs, no ladders
- Good side decks
- swim platform (for big dogs)
- transom door (for big dogs)
- centerline queen (at least) berth
- a dry head
- diesel(s)
- with a boat attached."

All of these suggestions are perfect. Looking forward to getting on this now!

Thanks Again,
Bear
Old 09-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Moved thread from "Welcome Mat" to "General Discussion"
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #18
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Welcome to TF. Enjoy your oncoming "New Life"!

I recommend Tollycraft boats!

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...dedSelected=-1
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Bearman
I looked up USPS Squadrons and it looks like the closest to you is Evansville.

Distance: 86.7 Miles
Evansville Bend Sail & Power Squadron District: 24 Chartered: 1977 - Web Site
Email: ron.eberhart@wowway.com
Location: Tri-State Area around Evansville, Indiana - Southern Indiana
Centered around: EVANSVILLE, IN 47714

You might still check it out - many courses can be done on your own or with a few in class sessions. I have found many of the USPS courses well done and worth the time / effort. You may also find that squadron may hold activities closer to the water than the big city?? Just a thought?
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #20
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
What kind of boating do you foresee doing? Both in the immediate future, and long-term?

Many a relationship has been known to suffer because one person ends up truly disliking the boating experience presented by the selected boat. As in, not everyone likes the same things when it comes to boats (speed underway, stability at anchor, etc). You won't know this until you know this. Best work on figuring out what WILL NOT WORK before trying to force a selection too soon.

Then there's the magic question of how much money are you prepared to hemorrhage while owning a boat? A bargain on the purchase price might turn into a money pit of repair expenses. That and operating costs will vary wildly depending on what kind of boating you have in mind. Being in one area regularly will incur local marina expenses. Traveling to others will incur transient expenses along with fuel and logistical support.

Be sure your new bride understands what's involved BEFORE buying something.