Newbie Requires Help in Many Areas Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You had me at “trawleresque vessels”...

Haven’t heard that term before (did you come up with it?), but it is oh-so-appropriate for the majority of vessels owned on this forum. Good one!

sorry for bothering to offer any comments

No, no, no. :facepalm: I'm sorry if I've offended you. Not my intent at all just some of our Southern humor showing through - which is why I used the smiley faces. Please don't hesitate to advise me on what to consider. As I said, I know very little about this process and need everyone's help - yours included.

My comments were simple meant to be humorous. I'm the one that should apologize. Please accept mine and let's continue to correspond. :thumb:

Bear:whistling:

Trawleresque

You had me at “trawleresque vessels”...

Haven’t heard that term before (did you come up with it?), but it is oh-so-appropriate for the majority of vessels owned on this forum. Good one!

Not sure that I've heard it before. After reading a little about what is and what isn't a TRUE trawler, it does seem appropriate doesn't it. :D Maybe I've stumbled on a new word for Miriam Webster. :thumb:

There's a learning curve to boating and while online forums are great, they're not always the most inviting when it comes to wildly optimistic newbies. I suppose that could be said for just about any sort of social group/topic, not just boats. It's hard to gauge how welcoming/informative it's "worth being" sometimes.

I'd say you're on the right track if you're taking the time and spending the money to go and look over a number of different boats.

Greetings,
Mr. HW. Sure. Who's paying for the alcohol?

200.gif

That’s hypnotic! Lol

Appreciated

There's a learning curve to boating and while online forums are great, they're not always the most inviting when it comes to wildly optimistic newbies. I suppose that could be said for just about any sort of social group/topic, not just boats. It's hard to gauge how welcoming/informative it's "worth being" sometimes.

I'd say you're on the right track if you're taking the time and spending the money to go and look over a number of different boats.

Thanks, I appreciate your comment. For the most part, I've been accepted and helped with good advice. Have also run into a couple of people that have been in and a part of my area of Western KY. There is a great number of things that I must learn and I'm eager to do so. If everyone continues to help, however their personalities allow, I'll be eternally grateful. Thanks again for your feedback. Please continue to do so.
I remain ~ Da Bear :whistling:

We are also on a 41' President DC like Commodave. We love our President, twin Lehman Diesels are incredibly easy and efficient. We are also looking for a bigger boat as we live on ours year round in Ct. We have been boating for 30 yrs and our wish list has this.
Preferred:
Walk on stern to an open cockpit with large doors.
Minimal ladders, we are leaning towards the raised Pilothouse layout.
Twin small diesel engines for efficiency.
Turbos and after coolers may take all of your money.
Lower driving station has minimal benefit for us, we never use it and would love the space for something else.
Ability to carry a substantial tender that moves along.
For us, Eisenglass is not required. We love the outdoors and the open visibility. If the weather is bad, we don't move.

Spend time on boats, talking to seasoned old dudes like us is a great start. Opinions are everywhere.
And Anchors ??? Oh boy, get out the popcorn

Many Thanks!

We are also on a 41' President DC like Commodave. We love our President, twin Lehman Diesels are incredibly easy and efficient. We are also looking for a bigger boat as we live on ours year round in Ct. We have been boating for 30 yrs and our wish list has this.
Preferred:
Walk on stern to an open cockpit with large doors.
Minimal ladders, we are leaning towards the raised Pilothouse layout.
Twin small diesel engines for efficiency.
Turbos and after coolers may take all of your money.
Lower driving station has minimal benefit for us, we never use it and would love the space for something else.
Ability to carry a substantial tender that moves along.
For us, Eisenglass is not required. We love the outdoors and the open visibility. If the weather is bad, we don't move.

Spend time on boats, talking to seasoned old dudes like us is a great start. Opinions are everywhere.
And Anchors ??? Oh boy, get out the popcorn

THANK YOU!
Popcorn in hand, beverage for the washdown, glasses are clean, and your ideas/advice sounds perfect! This is what I'm talkin' about. A great forum is just that because of its members. Those like you that are willing to take the time to help out a couple of rookies. Thanks again for the insight for a seasoned boater. :socool:

As ever …… Da Bear:popcorn::whistling:

We were in a similar situation a few years ago while upgrading from a 16' runabout to a trailer. Best advice I got was to work with a broker. We created a list of must haves and some would like to haves, size and price range. He quickly got the decision narrowed down and then helped us locate the boat. He also helped with finding a good survey firm and negotiating the price. I would highly recommend this rout.

We did take coast guard aux course plus I hired a captain who taught me the basics of operation and systems (75$ hr for 7 hrs), both of these were good investments.

Also helped that I let my wife drive now and then so she is happy. Of course I am still the valet as I must park and dock.

Yes earlier post on having spousal buyin is key, we got our boat because the previous owner did not get this. Turned into a costly mistake.

I think it is very important for you to understand that unless you have great gobs of money, you are going to need a lot of knowledge and experience to maintain any bigger boat you intend to go voyaging on. Driving the boat or being captain is the easy part.
Changing the oil and fuel filters on the engines, assuming you will have a generator, keeping the various pumps, from bilge pumps to fresh water pumps, to toilet/macerator pumps operating is another whole field of necessary skills.
Refrigeration is another area where it costs a great deal of money to have simple repairs done.
Then there's your annual haul out. Antifouling paint runs a couple of hundred bucks a gallon, and the bigger the boat, the more the haul out costs and the more paint you will need.
I'm not trying to turn you off, just bring up some of the realities of owning a voyaging vessel and the need to be well versed on many things other than just driving your boat.
Of course, if you are a trust fund baby, then just ignore this post and be prepared to throw huge sums of money at any problem that arises. lol

I found this a useful resource when we were looking.... Doesn't list all boats but it does have a lot, also the drop down list looks to be in alphabetical order but there are extras at the bottom...!!!

https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/powerboatguide/page_1/show_30/

Good luck and enjoy your search, FYI I'm 6'5" and our Hatteras has plenty of headroom, even in the showers.....

Lots of excellent advice. Would say that your wife must like the choice at first glance. if she doesn't, walk away or you will be 'enjoying' your boat by yourself. We went through this process years ago and I listened to my wife (now of 46 years) so she could never complain about the layout and features. We own a 35' Fu Hwa 1988 tri-cabin that has been great.
For women, it seems, having a convenient and trouble free head and plenty of hot water is paramount. They don't care about the holy place, electronics (except for the auto pilot) and they despise ladders. We don't have a dog so that simplifies matters as well.

There's obviously much to discuss here. I own a 1982 Albin 40, double cabin model. I bought the boat in 2005 and rebuilt it from stem to stern. For any of the boats you have mentioned, my recommendation is make sure you have lots of time, cash, tools and skills. You'll need all 4 in equal measure. As far as the engine is concerned, I would say definitely diesel (don't even look at gas) and definitely single screw, especially someone of your size. I'm 5' 8" and I still wouldn't have twin engines. I have lots of room to get at my engine and half the time and money for maintenance. And if you're wondering about anchors, go with the Rocna with an all chain rode, at least 5/16" G40 high test or even 3/8". Good luck with your choices.

Just a little reading info. Captain John's website is a good taste of what to expect from the great loop along with boat requirements. Some vessels cannot reach some parts along the great loop because of hull draft and air draft.

Cruising America's Great Loop

There is a great site for the great loop and it is/was updated frequently. It's a pay site that is good to join. It's also a place to get up to date help with stuff like navigational problems, shoaling, breakdowns, and just general info about good places to go and places to avoid.

https://www.greatloop.org/content.aspx?sl=994448979

Books and Maps about Cruising America's Great Loop - Raven Cove Publishing

I've been wanting to do the great loop for about 15 to 20 years now. It will happen for me one day, hopefully soon.

Many Thanks

We were in a similar situation a few years ago while upgrading from a 16' runabout to a trailer. Best advice I got was to work with a broker. We created a list of must haves and some would like to haves, size and price range. He quickly got the decision narrowed down and then helped us locate the boat. He also helped with finding a good survey firm and negotiating the price. I would highly recommend this rout.

We did take coast guard aux course plus I hired a captain who taught me the basics of operation and systems (75$ hr for 7 hrs), both of these were good investments.

Lollygag,
Thanks for the great advice. These are the things I need the most in the way of advice - those things that others have found necessary and important. Love to hear about how to spend money on the GOOD THINGS!
Thanks Again,

Thank you

Just a little reading info. Captain John's website is a good taste of what to expect from the great loop along with boat requirements. Some vessels cannot reach some parts along the great loop because of hull draft and air draft.

Cruising America's Great Loop

There is a great site for the great loop and it is/was updated frequently. It's a pay site that is good to join. It's also a place to get up to date help with stuff like navigational problems, shoaling, breakdowns, and just general info about good places to go and places to avoid.

https://www.greatloop.org/content.aspx?sl=994448979

Books and Maps about Cruising America's Great Loop - Raven Cove Publishing

I've been wanting to do the great loop for about 15 to 20 years now. It will happen for me one day, hopefully soon.

Ben2go,

Thanks - GREAT advice! I'll check out both of these spots. Love getting great info from you and others.

Thank you

There's obviously much to discuss here. I own a 1982 Albin 40, double cabin model. I bought the boat in 2005 and rebuilt it from stem to stern. For any of the boats you have mentioned, my recommendation is make sure you have lots of time, cash, tools and skills. You'll need all 4 in equal measure. As far as the engine is concerned, I would say definitely diesel (don't even look at gas) and definitely single screw, especially someone of your size. I'm 5' 8" and I still wouldn't have twin engines. I have lots of room to get at my engine and half the time and money for maintenance. And if you're wondering about anchors, go with the Rocna with an all chain rode, at least 5/16" G40 high test or even 3/8". Good luck with your choices.

Albin,

Thanks for the great advice! I realize that I'm entering uncharted waters for me when it comes to this lifestyle. I've got time to learn and hopefully people in my area that are willing to teach me. I'm thinking that is the key - an opportunity to learn, a willingness to learn, and an honest desire to learn. Also, thanks for the "chain" info. Nice to know.

Thanks Again,

Much Appreciated

Lots of excellent advice. Would say that your wife must like the choice at first glance. if she doesn't, walk away or you will be 'enjoying' your boat by yourself. We went through this process years ago and I listened to my wife (now of 46 years) so she could never complain about the layout and features. We own a 35' Fu Hwa 1988 tri-cabin that has been great.
For women, it seems, having a convenient and trouble free head and plenty of hot water is paramount. They don't care about the holy place, electronics (except for the auto pilot) and they despise ladders. We don't have a dog so that simplifies matters as well.

Thanks for the great advice!
Glad to hear about things that women appreciate in a boat. I will certainly keep these things in mind as we move forward. I want a boating companion that is more than just happy.

Bear :whistling:

Tall guy, thanks

I found this a useful resource when we were looking.... Doesn't list all boats but it does have a lot, also the drop down list looks to be in alphabetical order but there are extras at the bottom...!!!

https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/powerboatguide/page_1/show_30/

Good luck and enjoy your search, FYI I'm 6'5" and our Hatteras has plenty of headroom, even in the showers.....

Haylands,
Great advice from a tall guy. I'll be looking with an eye out for a vessel like yours.

Thanks,

Great Advice - Thanks

I think it is very important for you to understand that unless you have great gobs of money, you are going to need a lot of knowledge and experience to maintain any bigger boat you intend to go voyaging on. Driving the boat or being captain is the easy part.
Changing the oil and fuel filters on the engines, assuming you will have a generator, keeping the various pumps, from bilge pumps to fresh water pumps, to toilet/macerator pumps operating is another whole field of necessary skills.
Refrigeration is another area where it costs a great deal of money to have simple repairs done.
Then there's your annual haul out. Antifouling paint runs a couple of hundred bucks a gallon, and the bigger the boat, the more the haul out costs and the more paint you will need.
I'm not trying to turn you off, just bring up some of the realities of owning a voyaging vessel and the need to be well versed on many things other than just driving your boat.
Of course, if you are a trust fund baby, then just ignore this post and be prepared to throw huge sums of money at any problem that arises. lol

Oops,

Thought I responded to this post earlier. Lots of things to keep in mind here. No, I don't have a trust fund baby. However, I've got a great wife who is extremely supportive and believes in me and my ability to learn and to get things done. This is my job in the days, months, and possibly years ahead. All I want for her to have to do is continue to love life, love retirement, and love me. :D

Now I'll take your advice and get to work!
Thanks Again,

Good evening Bearman, I just thought I would let you know in case you didn't know. The Fall In Water Boat show at Green Turtle Bay is October 19-20th. That would be a good time to get on some boats if you haven't found yours by then. Not far for you to come from Paducah.

You're welcome Bear.

You're in the Paducah area, take a day or weekend and site see around the marines that are close to you. If I'm not mistaken, you have navigable waters to the Ole Miss. Never hurts to look around and see what catches the eye for y'all. Never can tell what might turn up from a for sale sign posted in the window of a boat.

Good evening Bearman, I just thought I would let you know in case you didn't know. The Fall In Water Boat show at Green Turtle Bay is October 19-20th. That would be a good time to get on some boats if you haven't found yours by then. Not far for you to come from Paducah.
Could you post the info for that event? We might be visiting family up that way in KY and may stop in.

Copied from an email from Green Turtle Bay regarding the Fall In-Water Boat Show.

Stay in one of our beautiful condos for the weekend of the Fall Boat show, October 19-20th and enjoy the largest boat show in Western Kentucky! Have fun at the Commonwealth Yacht club for a dinner and dance on Saturday evening and breakfast Sunday morning at Dockers Bayside Grille. Packages begin at $351. Call us, today!

You can go to their website and view the current listings to see what will be on display. Just google Green Turtle Bay.

Copied from an email from Green Turtle Bay regarding the Fall In-Water Boat Show.

Stay in one of our beautiful condos for the weekend of the Fall Boat show, October 19-20th and enjoy the largest boat show in Western Kentucky! Have fun at the Commonwealth Yacht club for a dinner and dance on Saturday evening and breakfast Sunday morning at Dockers Bayside Grille. Packages begin at $351. Call us, today!

You can go to their website and view the current listings to see what will be on display. Just google Green Turtle Bay.
Thanks.:thumb:

Many Thanks

I've had my eye on that. I get their email newsletter. Maybe I'll run into you and give you a shout. I used to teach at GR Elem yrs ago before the consolidation. Loved that little school.

Also glad to see Patti's is rebuilding. The drummer from my college rock group, "Clap Hands Here Comes Charly" worked there for a while post-college. Thanks for you heads up!

I've had my eye on that. I get their email newsletter. Maybe I'll run into you and give you a shout. I used to teach at GR Elem yrs ago before the consolidation. Loved that little school.

Also glad to see Patti's is rebuilding. The drummer from my college rock group, "Clap Hands Here Comes Charly" worked there for a while post-college. Thanks for you heads up!

I got your thanks and message.

It's kind of a long shot for us being there but not out of the cards yet. I'll send you a message if we get up that way. :thumb:

wants and needs

Charlie,
"I am not far from you; Green Turtle Bay near Barkley Dam. Have you looked at Green Turtle Bay Boats for Sale listing. They have several listed for sale, maybe something that at least you could get on and look at some layouts. If I can help you in any way let me know."

Thanks for that. I will certainly be in touch. Yes, I have seen at least two boats that I plan on seeing at Green Turtle Bay. Just trying to find the time that the wife and I can do it together. I've learned the old saying is very true, "HAPPY WIFE ~ HAPPY LIFE!"

Thanks again,

so you are going from a dinghy to a trawler ? big jump !
i would suggest that you look at twin engine s or a single with a bow or stern thruster. a 30 foot boat with a single engine and no thrusters is a challenge to manuver for an experienced captain. handling a boat is the first step.
second, you want something that you can be on for extended periods of time comfortably. i like the galley down, sundecks. lots of room for two, plenty of galley space and refrigerator space( a big consideration) and a large master cabin with no ladders to climb, unless you anchor out and need to use the swim platform. thats not a big deal since you have plenty of fridge space and do not have to leave the boat except in good weather.
love that floor plan, great for live aboard, entettaining or just cruising.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom