Newbie question...piling boards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustCruisin

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Friar Tuck
Vessel Make
1987 Monk 36
So my marina fuel dock has exposed pilings and the PO of my boat had made up a couple 2x6's to hang across two fenders to keep the boat off pilings...they are pretty weathered and full of splinters...so I am going to clean them up but was wondering what others use in situations like this...is this the normal go to? Thanks...feeling humble

I use a fender board regularly outboard of two fenders. I have found this the best solution to piling. A 2x6 pressure treated board lasts pretty long, but is easy to replace
Jack Hulse
Endeavour 44 catamaran trawler
“Two’s Company

Fender Boards

Weathered is normal, but splinters will hurt you when handling them, and should be sanded smooth.
Treated 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 by 5 feet is usually enough. They take a lot of strain, so I drilled 3/4" holes and spliced 5/8 3 strand nylon rope through them, back-splicing the other end, about 6 ft long.
Mine are unfinished, but an oil finish like Cetol, which can just be recoated without additional prep (for this use) could be good.
Welcome aboard.
John

My Dad would make fancy varnished fender boards. He would put a couple of strips of half oval stainless on them to protect the varnish from the piling. They didn’t work any better than pressure treated but he liked making them.

There are cast rubber fender board spacers that usually are held in place by the spliced loop in the line holding the fender boards.

These are great at trapping fenders between the boards and the hull .

Taylor made still shows 2x4 size , the 2x6 size is more robust.

Back
Top Bottom