Greetings,
Welcome aboard, eh?
Old 06-23-2021, 10:00 AM   #22
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Jim, and others,
Sorry, I really confused myself on the fuel economy for the Yamaha. Thinking about it overnight caused some clarification, hopefully.

"Edit:
I think I confused myself with fuel costs and mixed mpg and hours. It would theoretically cost $1200 more for a 100 mile trip. If my logic is off, maybe someone could correct me?? Thks."
Totally incorrect as the engine should burn approx. 8 gph at just above half throttle (3500 rpm). I am not sure if that rpm is enough to get the R27 to 15 knots, but if it is then taking into account that this is double the speed of the 7 knot cruising NT using 2 gph, then that amounts to only a doubling of fuel cost (for the same distance), so no where near as bad as I earlier suggested. My bad!!!
At the time I thought $1200 extra for a 100 mile trip sounded crazy.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #23

City: Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Janeth Mary
Vessel Model: Ranger 27 OB
Tom, Thanks for all the advice, and I am a little concerned I might go stir crazy in a small cabin if forced inside by weather for a week or so. But my plans, which may not turn out to be possible, are to make frequent stops and get off and stretch my legs. For the several hundred thousand dollars I would spend on a much bigger, new trawler/tug, I can afford a LOT of $99 motel rooms along the way.

I have walked around both the R29 and R31 and they seemed plenty roomy for me, but I have yet to test out the R27, which I will do in the next few weeks.

Despite being gas powered, the R27 has a webasto diesel furnace and heat. Separate 5 gal diesel tank.

Water: More would be great, but if 80 gallons for 2 was manageable, 40 for one should be doable as well. Living on an island for years proved I can easily get by with one 20L jug of drinking/cooking water per week. I'm thinking I'd carry one or two of those with me.

MPG: I have been watching 'channel surfing's videos on youtube, and although a little worrisome (especially since I will be buying gas in Canada more often than in the USA, unless I find it worthwhile to take a little trip to fill up...) the numbers weren't too bad. It was quite interesting the smallish (1mpg IIRC) difference between 7 knots and 25.

I tell myself I will be going 7, but more experienced cruisers tell me I won't do that for too long. The really inefficient speed for the R27 seems to be from 8 to 15 or so.

As for costs of fuel, well, I can afford it, but my Scottish heritage means I won't enjoy it. I won't be going hungry though.

I am leaving Toronto tomorrow, driving instead of flying, and should be in Vancouver in a week or so. Unfortunately I can't go via the USA, even though I have both shots. I've always wanted to see Mt Rushmore, the Dakotas, Yellowstone etc. Shame.

My friend in VCR is taking me for a 1 week sail around the area the second week of July. I'll see how much I like sharing a 27 ft sailboat for a week. Should be a good test.
LakeMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:08 PM   #24
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
The problem with tugs and outboards can be a problem - where to store the dinghy? Having a dinghy on board is quite important in our neck of the woods. Your dinghy is your main transportation once at anchor.

Here is a fun video of a concert in Desolation 2019, notice all the dinghies at show:

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #25
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Desolation Sound isn't so desolate on the August long weekend.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:46 PM   #26

As a long time kayaker I expect I will find putting a kayak in the water a lot easier than a dinghy which needs to have a motor attached.

No offense, but I would be running in the opposite direction of crowds of people in dinghys.

And I really can't imagine making my boat purchase decision based upon if it's easy to get a dinghy onboard. If it saves me $200k, I think I'll get an inflatable.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:58 PM   #27

City: Richmond, BC
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
If you are calculating water usage, keep in mind that some boat heads are plumbed for fresh water flushing, not salt water. There are some real advantages to fresh water heads - much less odor!

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:50 PM   #28

Check out Tofino on the West Side of Vancouver Island.. Also. Recommend something bigger than a Ranger for live aboard. Nordic / American Tugs are nice and a 40 ft trawler is a good choice
Twin diesel
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:22 PM   #29
BCK

City: Sunshine Coast
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: CHB 34'
A small boat, to begin with, may be a wise choice. There's a lot to learn about boating out here on the chuck...currents, tides, navigation, commercial traffic, Georgia Strait! We started with a 14' aluminum, then a 18.5' Double Eagle, to a 25' Albin, and now a 34' CHB trawler (my avatar pic). We have LOVED each boat and suited us at the time but did outgrow the earlier ones as we are a family of 5! Moorage is very hard to find and there are usually waiting lists, and someone else mentioned also there are restrictions on liveaboards. Check out CHB's...they are getting older now, but if you're handy, there are some good deals!
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: Thataway
Vessel Model: C Dory 25, pilot house trailerable cruiser
I will give you my opinion of the Ranger "tug". I have followed the line since the 1970's and original 21 displacement small cabin, large cockpit boat was built. I have demoed several models for dealers showing the boats to potential customers and considered buying one.

The current boats, except the 30/31 are outboard powered. They are deep V and not efficient hulls. Either you want to run them at 5 to 6 knots or over 17 knots. They don't do well at semi displacement speeds.

They have a lot of "bling"--beautiful interiors. This appeals to a certain group of people. But try and repair systems. The access may be difficult, and one has to be careful not to damage the surfaces. My experience with the current outboard boat is mostly related to a 23' (I believe closer to the current 27) with a friend I have cruised along side in several trips. The boat runs well, but does use a lot of fuel when on a plane. My comparable sized boat uses a 150 hp to achieve the same speeds that a 300 hp is necessary to achieve on the Ranger tug. The fuel use is about 2x at planing speeds.

Spend some time living with the layout--more than just a day's outing use if possible. Are you happy with the V berth bunk mattress/comfort? Will you use other features of the forward cabin? How about the head and shower. The location, headroom, use of shower?

When I was considering purchase of a Ranger, it would have been the diesel 27. But looking at the access to the engine, gave me pause. I also wondered about the space given to the "coffin berth" under the Dinette table.

I agree with those, if you want a displacement or semi displacement boat, there are a number of alternatives, which are gong to cost a lot more.

I have cruised that area for 6 summers, including 4 trips on the Inland passage when I had my Cal 46 moored at Sequim's John Wayne Marina for the winters.

Good luck on the search and living on the Island, in some of the best cruising grounds in the entire World.
thataway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #31

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Along the lines (& price) of a Ranger, why not look at Cutwater? Big following in the PNW. Some friends of mine just picked up a fairly new and lightly used one, well equipped, for $200k US.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:34 AM   #32
REO
Veteran Member

City: Eureka Springs, AR
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: 1984 Albin 27
Are you planning to live aboard in Washington and travel to Canada in the summer, or spend most of the year in Canada? I ask that because there are tax and cruising permit issues that can come as a surprise. Best to research this before making a decision on where you will purchase a boat and where it will be kept. We were surprised that both Washington state and BC Canada have enforcement folks walking the docks looking for violators.
REO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:29 PM   #33

City: Ladysmith, British Columbia
Vessel Name: Tanoosh
Vessel Model: 41' Canoe Cove
Did the same thing about 8 months ago Jim. From back in Alberta I found the whole concept of buying a boat confusing. So many brands, models, etc that I was constantly changing my mind. What I did was write down what I wanted from a boat rather than what boat I wanted and turned that list over to a broker. The broker in turn made some suggestions - a big one was how to accommodate my large dog who was going to be my #1. I wanted a fly bridge but obviously the dog was not going to be able to climb a ladder to get there. Settled on a 41' Canoe Cove and couldn't happier. It is important to get a good broker - one who will find you a 'best fit' boat rather than just a boat, even if that means a private sale and not getting a commission. If you're interested, I'll forward my brokers number.
Herdboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #34
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I agree with Herdboss. Sometimes it is best to re-evaluate based on wants and needs.
I suggest making lists. What features or attributes are MUST HAVES, what are nice to have, and also importantly, what DO NOT WANT.
These lists are built after carefully considering how you are planning on using your boat. Eg.. alone or with regular guests. Short trips both in terms of distance and time or?? Year round or summer only? Speed important or not? Fuel cost important or not (often fuel costs actually work out to be a small cost compared to the overall costs of boat ownership)? You get the idea.
Then once you have a very good idea of what features are must haves and don't want, you can examine what you think right now to see if it fits well, or what other brands/models may work better. Obviously you have a budget, but purchasing cost turns out to sometimes not be as important as your overall comfort and use coupled with ongoing operating and maintenance costs. Also when examining a boat, also consider access for repair and especially maintenance. Some boats are almost "horror" shows when it comes to that.

As far as Cutwater goes, I have heard some negative things, so I advise you (if considering them) to take a careful look and investigate a bit prior to deciding one way or the other. Probably holds true with most boats.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Marina del Rey
Vessel Name: Fortunate Sun
Vessel Model: 42' Grand Banks M/Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
200' + if you have a partner...
So, you've met my partner...

One suggestion is to check out any recent edition of the Powerboat Guide. Here's a link with lots of choices https://www.google.com/search?q=book...hrome&ie=UTF-8 (Sometimes it can also be found in libraries.)

I often recommended this book as a broker to clients who were in the early stages of fleshing out their needs and wants vs. what was available, most practical, affordable, etc. Once you've made some of these decisions you can then find a broker and give them specific info on what you're looking for. They may even be of assistence in finding waterfront land for you.

Good luck!
R lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:39 AM   #36

City: Green Country
Here's one in Squim from the classifieds that is relatively low cost, local, looks Bristol, and would be practically the least loss of anything so far. Maybe give it some thought?

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...-wa-58648.html

PS How's the move going?
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:54 AM   #37
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by REO View Post
Are you planning to live aboard in Washington and travel to Canada in the summer, or spend most of the year in Canada? I ask that because there are tax and cruising permit issues that can come as a surprise. Best to research this before making a decision on where you will purchase a boat and where it will be kept. We were surprised that both Washington state and BC Canada have enforcement folks walking the docks looking for violators.
The original poster is from Ontario, Canada. Not an issue to have a boat in BC.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:51 PM   #38
Guru

City: West Coast
Reading through, almost every sentence and especially post 13, I think of Sayward.

North, away from crowds, cheap dirt rentals, near enough to Campbell River and the rest of the island is exploreable by road, albeit some long days. Live in a small apartment or rented trailer while you get to know the locals, who will be most helpful getting you acclimatized. I know a dozen who would immediately embrace you and your chosen lifestyle. Small adequate “marina.” Down side? Johnstone Strait winds, either none or big.

I see no real disadvantage to the Ranger, in today’s market. Get one, figure out how it suits or doesn’t and move up in a year…or not. Those things will always draw fans.

https://www.sayward.ca/our-community

I didn’t see a budget, so…
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...-r-23-3847318/
https://www.grandyachts.com/our-inve...oat_id=7863146
https://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/u...port-sedan.asp

Or cruise this site for some really interesting alternatives, which might get you thinking.
https://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/Index.asp
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #39

Lots more good advice! and an update

Thanks everyone for all the advice, I am making some progress, sort of.

First, I spent a week driving across Canada and am now in Vancouver, so I can more easily see actual boats for sale in person.

I'll be test driving a Ranger in a week or two, as soon as I sort out a place to live (that's a whole other big decision process).

One thing I have been doing is calling marinas all over to get on waiting lists and see if they have any slips available, plus costs etc. Not making much headway there...that could be a big deciding factor of where I end up, which is looking more like Nanaimo or North of there, despite the fact I have a family member with a condo I can rent in Victoria, which would be a nice situation. IF I could get a slip in that area.

I was really hoping I would get to see the Emma B which was for sale, but unfortunately for me it has sold. It was probably about perfect for my needs, although the potential maintenance issues scared me a little. I did talk to both the former owner and the broker, but I just couldn't pull the trigger without seeing the boat in person, and I didn't make it in time. I did get my second Vax though, which was a big reason for my delay getting out here.

One thing I will clarify, I can see myself doing a lot of cruising the first year, but I am really very interested in finding a waterfront lot to build a home on (I have done it before, I like the challenge).

So if I find that lot or fixer upper, I would be spending a lot more time on land, while you guys anchor in front of me and wave as I slave away.

That's just one more reason i was thinking a smaller boat might be more suitable. I won't be full time cruising forever. And reliability is key, as I will be using the boat as my transportation to get supplies (I mean groceries, tools etc., not barge loads of lumber).

So the saga continues, but I am learning a lot and have really narrowed my focus. Looking forward to seeing a testing out a few boats in person in the very near future.

I'll be sailing around the Gulf islands this weekend on a friend's old sailboat. I think it will convince me I need new, and bigger.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #40

City: Green Country
Reminds me of a saying I've heard repeated about the "Great Loop"; "go small and go now!"

Congrats on making your way west, best wishes on putting together your program!
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote