Old 06-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #1

City: Brentwood
Vessel Name: Miss Rita
Vessel Model: 2004 Heritage East
Newbie: Help me pick a Trawler

I am a newbe, 65yo ready to retire in 6 months. I have been on freshwater all my life. I took up scuba a few years ago and fell in love with the Caribbean. Thus I am looking for a trawler. I am in Nashville and would love to learn on the rivers, should have started a few years ago! I have been looking for 6 months, and I am narrowing it down. 38-45' sundeck, low HP like 120-135 fords, I really want a low burn rate like 2.5gal/ hr @ 7kts. I really want to travel, not sit at the dock, so burn rate is important, dream of doing the Caribbean Loop if there is sure a thing. So humbly seek advice from you ole salts to guide me.
I have seen a few singles, but I think for the age/ price I am looking for, it might be better to go twin. I am looking at 1980's in the 60-90k range. I am very skilled mechanically, but don't want to spend my whole retirement repairing! Lot of asian boats for sale.
Question #1 39' Heritage , 25,000# twin 6BT5-9 Cummins 210hp expected burn rate?
Question # If you run a semiplaning hull at 7kts, can you expect same fuel burn as same boat with semi displacment?
I have many more questions, I will pause for a while and listen. Steve
SteveandZoila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Given what you want to do, your price range, and your skills, I would recommend you look seriously at Winnie The Pooh. I would dearly love to do the Caribbean in that boat!

The thread is under the Classified forum, " 46' Pilothouse Trawler 1.5 gph @7.5 kts:
Old 06-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #3

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
Welcome! I share your dream, a lot of good info here.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #4

Newbie: Help me pick a Trawler

I need to rename the thread, I was hoping more responses. I have read a lot on the forum, and I know there is a lot of experienced ole salts that can help me. How do I change thread title? I was planning to look at Winnie the Pooh this week, but business has canceled Vacation.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandZoila View Post
I need to rename the thread, I was hoping more responses. I have read a lot on the forum, and I know there is a lot of experienced ole salts that can help me. How do I change thread title?
You just make a post like the one you made, and then these things kind of happen, with a puff of smoke and a little magic. :-)
Old 07-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
I've never cruised the Caribbean, but from what I hear the waters can be quite shallow, so you may want to look for shallow draught vessels. Twins often, but not always, have shallower draught than singles.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: gulf coast
Burn rate is dependent on displacement, speed you run and hull shape. Notice I did not mention max hp of the engine
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
I've never cruised the Caribbean, but from what I hear the waters can be quite shallow, so you may want to look for shallow draught vessels. Twins often, but not always, have shallower draught than singles.
The Bahamas can be shallow. Which of course are not in the Caribbean. The islands and places that make up the true Caribbean, not so much.

The vast majority of trawlers discussed on this site have a draft that is just fine for cruising the Loop, Bahamas and Caribbean.

If you are really looking at doing the Caribbean I would look for a boat with stabilizers if you can afford it.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
I am a newbe, 65yo ready to retire in 6 months. I have been on freshwater all my life. I took up scuba a few years ago and fell in love with the Caribbean. Thus I am looking for a trawler. I am in Nashville and would love to learn on the rivers, should have started a few years ago! I have been looking for 6 months, and I am narrowing it down. 38-45' sundeck, low HP like 120-135 fords, I really want a low burn rate like 2.5gal/ hr @ 7kts. I really want to travel, not sit at the dock, so burn rate is important, dream of doing the Caribbean Loop if there is sure a thing. So humbly seek advice from you ole salts to guide me.
I have seen a few singles, but I think for the age/ price I am looking for, it might be better to go twin. I am looking at 1980's in the 60-90k range. I am very skilled mechanically, but don't want to spend my whole retirement repairing! Lot of asian boats for sale.
Question #1 39' Heritage , 25,000# twin 6BT5-9 Cummins 210hp expected burn rate?
Question # If you run a semiplaning hull at 7kts, can you expect same fuel burn as same boat with semi displacment?
I have many more questions, I will pause for a while and listen. Steve
I believe it will be difficult to find a sundeck in that length and twins that gets that fuel burn. Try dropping down to a 35-36 footer with twin 90 lehmans (which is what I have) or 85 Perkins. You probably can't do a Caribbean loop but you can do the Bahamas, Abacos, and Exumas with it. Just remember, 7 knots is probably with no current. Therefore, with 2-3 knot currents at a minimum, you could be seeing a range from 4-10 knots depending on the tide. I know the whereabouts of a 36ft heritage with twin 90s if interested. No generator though. Good Luck!
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
Guru

City: Pensacola
My 40 ft Heritage East Sundeck is for sale. Meets all your requirements. 2.0 gal per hour at 7-8 kts. Twin Perkins 6.534 NA diesels.

Pm me for details
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
I need to rename the thread, I was hoping more responses. I have read a lot on the forum, and I know there is a lot of experienced ole salts that can help me. How do I change thread title? I was planning to look at Winnie the Pooh this week, but business has canceled Vacation.
Steve,

Send me a PM and I'll change the title to whatever you want...within reason!

There are lots of variables but stability, draft and having a protected prop should be high on the list for shallow, rough waters. I have twins in the shallow but forgiving bottom of the SF Bay/California Delta, but there have been times I wish I had a single with better prop protection.

Listen to those guys who have spent time in the big waters of the Caribbean. I have no experience there, but after recently hearing stories from a fellow TFer about his experiences, it opened my eyes to the way it is on the "outside". It was especially interesting hearing his Admiral's side of the story!! (Cheers, Deb!!) So I'll enjoy my protected waters while reading the tales of the brave and hearty souls on the outside.

Welcome aboard the Trawler Forum!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Steve:

One man's thoughts on what is needed for a trawler in the Eastern Caribbean:

Trawler suggestions for Eastern Caribbean

Full displacement hull – although Nordic/American tug might work
Single engine or small twins
Powerful up and down windlass
200 + feet of chain and an oversized anchor, 60lbs or more
SSB Radio with the 21’ antenna
Watermaker, suggest either large 600 gallons per day if ac, or a smaller 12 v unit that can be run without generator on
significant charger 100amps plus depending on refrigeration, make sure one charger can take 50hz
Efficient refrigeration – if a household unit (110v) beware of the battery draw. Desired is a Danfoss compressor,
8kw generator, basically not a large one, as the eastern Caribbean does not require airconditioning
Stabilization, either active or paravanes
Dinghy lift either davits or some sort of power lift to upper deck
Wash down at bow
Master stateroom that gets ventilation at anchor, either a bow stateroom with a hatch or a Grand Banks type trawler with a hatch over the aft cabin.
Size 36 to 48 feet
If coming from North America install wind generator and solar panels before leave
Fuel polishing system, simple just a pump and a filter for circulating
Propane cooking

Good luck finding the boat of your dreams
Old 07-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
... I have twins in the shallow but forgiving bottom of the SF Bay/California Delta, but there have been times I wish I had a single with better prop protection. ...
Old 07-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #14

Marty, thanks, so much to learn!!
Old 07-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #15

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: SALTY
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
I have lived in the Eastern Caribbean on various sailboats for about half of the last 30 years. I have delivered numerous boats from the US mainland to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. In my opinion there is a significant difference in the type boat that is going to be fun once you are getting South of the Bahamas. The number of days that the wind blows less than 15 knots and the seas are not 3-5ft swell with a nice chop on top are pretty rare. Passages might look like a short run between islands on the chart, but doing the 35 miles between Antigua and Guadalupe on a 40 something "Sundeck" Trawler is one of the last voyages that I would do for pleasure. If you really think that you want to go boating in the Tradewind Belt I suggest spending a couple of weeks on a nice sailboat charter with a captain cruising the Grenadines or the Leeward Islands. This will give you an idea of what the ocean really is like in this part of the world. The Bahamas and East Coast ICW are a whole different ballgame.
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:30 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Billyfeet

Welcome aboad
Old 07-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #17
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr. bf.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #18
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
We have a single screw Lehman in a 35' Marine Trader which sips fuel gently. Prior owner took her to Bahamas and Martha's Vineyard. Easy to access and fix. My only complaint now, is being a big-dog owner, the sundeck makes it hard to lift up rover to the boat. We only do about 7 knots, but don't burn much doing it. Two cabins, two heads is nice for guests. Simple boat, simple owner. Larger would be nice, but is a big boat for it's size and similar size-owners have said same.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #19
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Billyfeet: I see your experience begins with one of the most infamous of inlets on the east coast. My first trawler shakedown was going out Jupiter Inlet......something I won't be forgetting very soon. Anyway, good advice and welcome to the forum.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #20

City: Little River, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Steve:

One man's thoughts on what is needed for a trawler in the Eastern Caribbean:

Trawler suggestions for Eastern Caribbean

Full displacement hull – although Nordic/American tug might work
Single engine or small twins
Powerful up and down windlass
200 + feet of chain and an oversized anchor, 60lbs or more
SSB Radio with the 21’ antenna
Watermaker, suggest either large 600 gallons per day if ac, or a smaller 12 v unit that can be run without generator on
significant charger 100amps plus depending on refrigeration, make sure one charger can take 50hz
Efficient refrigeration – if a household unit (110v) beware of the battery draw. Desired is a Danfoss compressor,
8kw generator, basically not a large one, as the eastern Caribbean does not require airconditioning
Stabilization, either active or paravanes
Dinghy lift either davits or some sort of power lift to upper deck
Wash down at bow
Master stateroom that gets ventilation at anchor, either a bow stateroom with a hatch or a Grand Banks type trawler with a hatch over the aft cabin.
Size 36 to 48 feet
If coming from North America install wind generator and solar panels before leave
Fuel polishing system, simple just a pump and a filter for circulating
Propane cooking

Good luck finding the boat of your dreams
Valuable Information!!!! My thoughts, "Buy your last boat first, cheaper that way".
Steveyacht is offline   Reply With Quote