Old 04-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #1

City: Baltimore Md
Vessel Name: Graceful
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
Newbie 101

Okay , Finally got our new to us Marine Trader 34. We've always had sailboats so this is really something new. This might sound simple but like I said we're really new at this trawler thing. Today I wanted to flush out the water tanks ( 2-75 gals ) so i filled both up and started to drain by opening up the faucets aboard. After awhile one tank was empty but the other ,still full. So I figured there must be some kind of valve to change tanks. After an hour of crawling around -no valve was found. Am I missing something.
Confused
gonesailing13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #2

City: Bohemia
Probably, no, there has to be, a valve. Either to turn the tank on, or to switch from one tank to another. Look for a "Y" valve?
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -
Don't know about Marine Traders, but our boat has two 85-gallon water tanks in the lazarette. They are connected together with a shutoff valve at the connection. But there is no provision for shutting off one tank or the other, just both together.

The valve is located very low and tucked back under the platform holding the tanks and a holding tank that sits between them. Your setup may be totally different but there is probably a shutoff valve somewhere in the system. It may be a left-right-both-off type valve that is set to the tank that is empty and should be moved to "both."

Or---- perhaps the tank that is still full has a blocked feed line.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
I have 2 100 gal tanks, each with a shutoff at the tank with a Y after the shutoff. The are located at the aft ends of the tanks which are under the master bed. If you didn't dig a bit you would never see them.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
Guru

City: Trenton
If your MT 34 is like mine there is a pair of gate valves at the bottom of the tanks in the lazerette. They corrode internally as do the attached nipples. Crawl down there and remove the valves and see the condition of those nips. Nice boat. Good luck!
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote