New york harbor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SOJOURN4

Vessel Name
SOJOURN
Vessel Make
SWIFT TRAWLER 44
Traveling from southern New Jersey to North Cove marine and this will be our 1st venture into NY Harbor. Boat 34 Swift Trawler, Radar, AIS, etc.
Any advise/suggestions would be great.
Thanks
SOJOURN IV

it's really no big deal...just stay off to the side and avoid all commercial traffic...monitor ch 13 also.

Check the Local Notice to Mariners before you go....

Local Notice to Mariners

IF its not blowing to rough up the bay ,

you can anchor in front of the Statue or Ellis Island for a great sunset evening spectacular.

A bigger than normal anchor light is advised as there is only commercial traffic after dark.

Anchoring in front of the Statue of Liberty is a no-no in these days of Homeland security. Maybe up in the shallows far behind it. I would still plan on a "visit" by officials. If he goes to North Cove, he'll be out of the excitement of a busy working harbor.

Three things:
1. Watch out for ferries and all commercial traffic. Near the end of a busy day, the southern Hudson river and upper bay can be full of 3' to 5' wakes going in every direction.
2. Those new marinas were made in the shape of boxes, with concrete walls that reflect a lot of wake energy back into and around the marina.
3. Time the currents and tides. Going up the Hudson or East River can give (or take) you over 5 knots of current.:banghead: Plan accordingly.
4. Stay out of the way of the ferries:dance:
Richard

Thanks

Thanks for all the advise.

I'll post a "post" cruise summary:socool:

NYC Update

Great trip to NYC last weekend.

Ocean was a little un-friendly on Friday - but not that bad.

6 hour run from Great Egg Inlet to NY Harbor. Once pass Barnegat Inlet the seas really calmed down and the harbor was like glass.

Stayed at North Cove Marina - Humbling to be a block or so from WTC/Ground Zero.

We got used to the harbor swells after about an hour - If you go take extra bumpers!!

If you have never navigated in a highly congested boat area - you will need to have your mental radar on high gain and besides the boats on the water you will need a keen eye or more for what's floating in the water.

Next yeat the Admiral wants to stay at Liberty Landing.

Thanks for all of the advise.

We stopped at Liberty Landing on our way to the Bahamas about 5 years ago. Wife was in charge of making reservation. When I asked her the price and she told me, I said we only wanted to stay for one night. She said "that is for one night." Should have gotten there earlier and stayed at 79th Street Boat Basin on a mooring ball.

I find that transient rates tend to follow what one might expect to pay for a hotel room in the area....not equal...but proportionately.

We stopped at Liberty Landing on our way to the Bahamas about 5 years ago. Wife was in charge of making reservation. When I asked her the price and she told me, I said we only wanted to stay for one night. She said "that is for one night." Should have gotten there earlier and stayed at 79th Street Boat Basin on a mooring ball.

The view's better too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom