New Water Toy Delivered Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
All ready for the islands now!

Previous Novurnia RIB was 19 years old so time for an upgrade.

Ordered it last October. They had the boats in stock but not the engines as they were back ordered from Yamaha. So nearly four months to get it.

Then there was a couple of weeks shipping delay from down the road in Fort Lauderdale due to trucking priorities.

But finally here and time to break in the engine.

Attachments

• abRIB1.jpg
    abRIB1.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 73
  • abRIB2.jpg
    abRIB2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 61
What size motor is it?

12' AB Mares VSX with a 30hp four stroke EFI Yamaha.

It looks about twice the size of the 2001 25hp carb'd Yamaha I just had.

Last edited:
Awesome lot of fun with your new toy.

We also have ours setup with electric downriver, VHF and Raymarine MFD.

12' AB Mares VSX with a 30hp four stroke EFI Yamaha.

It looks about twice the size of the 2001 25hp carb'd Yamaha I just had.

Yeah, not happy about this
Been talking about getting a 40hp 2 stroker for a while to replace my 2014 30hp Suzi.
Looks like they have gone the way of the dodo here as well

Don't think I'd be happy with the extra weight of a 4 stroke on our davits, especial hand cranking
56 vs 106kg just for the motor.

Last edited:
Awesome lot of fun with your new toy.

We also have ours setup with electric downriver, VHF and Raymarine MFD.

They were all options of course, but not really necessary for a boat to shore tender. I did splash out on a new hand held though. :)

(Electric downriver?)

Last edited:
[/B]
Been talking about getting a 40hp 2 stroker for a while to replace my 2014 30hp Suzi.

Don't think I'd be happy with the extra weight of a 4 stroke on our davits, especial hand cranking

Engine, 223 pounds. RIB 337 pounds dry = 560 total. Add in some equipment and six gallons of fuel, over 600.

Davit can handle it though.

They were all options of course, but not really necessary for a boat to shore tender. I did splash out on a new hand held though. :)

(Electric downriver?)

Small buttons on the smart phone...Electric Down Riggers LOL:dance:

You will be very happy with the fuel injected 30 hp. The carb version not so much.

Small buttons on the smart phone...Electric Down Riggers LOL:dance:

I just switched to an inflatable .nothing like the ones y'all have but .a 10' with an 8 horsepower .I want to fish from it but I'm a little nervous about sticking a hook in it especially with planers with long leaders . I bought it used but no patches (yet)

Congrats on your new . . . .erh . . . well, I was going to say "wheels", but I guess "ride" would be more appropriate!:D

We purchased a used 2012 Zodiac XDC VS3.4 (11.2' long) with a 30hp 4 stroke Honda BF30 last year in preparation for purchasing a new boat. . . . . Turns out the new boat already has a suitable Dinghy:facepalm:, and the new boat and Dinghy is in Washington State. . . . . so the Zodiac here in Kentucky will go up for sale this Spring, just need to find someone in Kentucky who can service it prior to selling it. First World problems I guess . . . :lol:

:socool:Very nice setup. Lots of hours of fun in that baby, especially after you install a downriver.:socool:

We've got a 25 yamaha, four stroke on our tow- dinghy. We were really pretty happy with it moving up from a 20 hp carbureted two stroke Merc. The weight was actually the same (+/-). Unfortunately I think they make that happen by using plastic and aluminum where the old two strokes were steel.

The reliability (knock on wood) has been worth it's weight in gold though. The fuel injection makes all the difference.

:socool:Very nice setup. Lots of hours of fun in that baby, especially after you install a downriver.:socool:

Luckily the downriver and the prawnpuller can share a premanently mounted Scotty swivel base. That permanent mount should be your first priority.
On my 12' I made a base out of wood, tried it in at least 4 different locations over a period of years before making a better design up out of aluminum. Now the PP goes on at the beginning of the season and only comes off for transport of a large group of shore bound folks.
Another add on that I thought well worth the extra weight is a set of air horns from Harbor Freight. I mounted mine inside the console with a rubber covered switch button being the only outside clue, until you push that button! Loud enough that I give a warning ala the ferries "passengers on the outside decks...." before sounding off.
You will have a great time with yours!

Luckily the downriver and the prawnpuller can share a premanently mounted Scotty swivel base. That permanent mount should be your first priority.
On my 12' I made a base out of wood, tried it in at least 4 different locations over a period of years before making a better design up out of aluminum. Now the PP goes on at the beginning of the season and only comes off for transport of a large group of shore bound folks.
Another add on that I thought well worth the extra weight is a set of air horns from Harbor Freight. I mounted mine inside the console with a rubber covered switch button being the only outside clue, until you push that button! Loud enough that I give a warning ala the ferries "passengers on the outside decks...." before sounding off.
You will have a great time with yours!
Oh I agree. I have a Brutus pot puller that fit my scotty mounts! Good call

Very nice ride!

Would anyone own a dink without a cupholder? I like lots of storage on my 'lil dink.

Attachments

• dink.jpg
    dink.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 22
Very nice ride!

Would anyone own a dink without a cupholder? I like lots of storage on my 'lil dink.

That's what I miss on the last one and this one - proper oarlocks.

The Avon dink we had on our Silverton had them and they come in REALLY handy - especially when the kids were running the boat! :D

I know I can after fit market rubber ones, but its tough to find a place to store two oars with a console.

Great toy. We had one for some fifteen years. It went with the vessel when sold. One suggestion, bolt a hand rail to the center console. Run in front from side to side of the consol six inches out, and another eight inches above the consol. Will make your time onboard that much safer.

Check EBay

I'm with you on that. We have an Apex A10 with a 15hp 2 stroke Mercury that I found brand new, in the box on EBay. It was a bit if a barn find but they are out there if you look and can be patient. Not good for the environment but my davits are happy. 74lbs. vs. 99lbs.

[/B]

Great toy. We had one for some fifteen years. It went with the vessel when sold. One suggestion, bolt a hand rail to the center console. Run in front from side to side of the consol six inches out, and another eight inches above the consol. Will make your time onboard that much safer.

It already has the one on top of the console.

I wouldn't put one in front of the console as that would make sitting on the seat there very uncomfortable.

Where I do want to add one is vertically on the side of the console. We have a St Croix stainless ladder and having the grab bar there will help us board from the water.

I’m right behind you. I am picking up my mares vsx 10 in fort Lauderdale in March. I actually have the exact same dinghy with a 30 hp carbureted Honda on my upper deck which have loved enough to replace with the same, however, i felt the need to get carburetors off of my upper deck so i replaced it with the same inflatable with a 30 efi tohatsu. I will then trailer my carbureted Honda and the old vsx home to be used at home in Connecticut.

I’m right behind you. I am picking up my mares vsx 10 in fort Lauderdale in March. I actually have the exact same dinghy with a 30 hp carbureted Honda on my upper deck which have loved enough to replace with the same, however, i felt the need to get carburetors off of my upper deck so i replaced it with the same inflatable with a 30 efi tohatsu. I will then trailer my carbureted Honda and the old vsx home to be used at home in Connecticut.

Question on your current boat. How did you find it handled with one on board - did you feel it overpowered?

I launched the dinghy for the first time on Friday and brought it to the boat. I ran it for the first hour at 2000 as part of the break in process.

Then I had 15-20 minutes left on the trip so followed the next step which is to power it up on plane and then back off to keep it on plane.

It will take some getting used to as the bow went up significantly with just me sitting in the stern, and when it got on plane the speed burst was mighty. On pulling it back it went back down off plane quickly - so clearly I need to get a feel for the remote and where the RPMs are to take it up and down more slowly and in control.

It will be better with two of us and a dog on board!

Well, for one thing because mine was one foot, and presumably several pounds lighter with the same power on the stern, it was a real rocket with one aboard. Planed quickly, then had more than ample power to stay there. What prompted my move was that the engine of late has been experiencing carburetor issues robbing it of the power it needs for optimal performance. it has been acting as you describe taking a while to get up on plane with the stern buried.

Having owned it for several years, i know what it is capable of and will expect this of my new setup. The old one will come home with me for a carburetor rebuild in my garage followed by use at my home base.

Does yours have a planing fin installed? If not, this would be a great and inexpensive addition to get you up on plane quicker and keep the squirelleyness down when you are up on plane.

I am considering the fin, I had one on the last boat with a 25hp.

I am hesitating on that as I found when riding the crest and backs of waves/wakes you have less steering control with the fin. So will wait until I have more experience with the set up.

Back
Top Bottom