New Vessel Documentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trimjb

Veteran Member
I am purchasing a new construction boat and will want to apply for documentation vs. DMV registration (California). The boat meets the criteria for Documented Vessels.
Seems like I should be able to do the documentation using the Coast Guard online documents without a 3rd. party documentation service.
Has anyone else done it this way?
Any lessons learned would be helpful.

It can look daunting but is really not that difficult. I've found that if you have questions or problems, the NVDC people are willing and able to help and all it takes is a phone call.

I have done it both ways. Easier to pay someone to do it for you but it isn’t that difficult to DIY. Good luck.

I am purchasing a new construction boat and will want to apply for documentation vs. DMV registration (California). The boat meets the criteria for Documented Vessels.
Seems like I should be able to do the documentation using the Coast Guard online documents without a 3rd. party documentation service.
Has anyone else done it this way?
Any lessons learned would be helpful.

Without knowing your builder, it's hard to answer. With an initial documentation there are a couple of potential challenges.

First is the correct paperwork from the builder. Most builders do a good job of providing a Builder's Certification and First Transfer of Title. Some builders may not and an agency might catch their errors or problems.

Second, is timing. Do you intend to cruise outside the US quickly? If so, I'd definitely recommend an expedited documentation. You can also handle that but agencies have more experience in doing so and in follow up.

Then there are other legal requirements that agencies often assist with, such as proper sales or use tax. Last, is California both your state of residence and your primary state of use? As California doesn't require registration of documented boats, timing is important. Until it's documented, it's considered undocumented and subject to registration. Keep in mind that without expedition, current initial documentation is taking 4 months on average and I'd expect that to worsen with the increase of employees out due to Covid.

Then the last unanswered question is does the boat documented and not registered qualify for exclusion when going to other states. Technically most states rules say it does not and must be registered, but I've only known of two instances of a state trying to enforce that. Otherwise, they accept that being in compliance of the state's registration law is the same as being registered.

We've always used an agency just for ease and to be sure. They also check titles and are not expensive.

Had my builder provide boat statistics used to measure boat's volume, needed for initial documentation.

Attachments

• coot hull.jpe
    coot hull.jpe
    48.1 KB · Views: 7
I did my own and it was easy. I did an initial documentation of a used vessel in the past, but this was my first documentation of a new vessel.

As I recall, I had the builder complete the CG-1261 and provide a copy to the Documentation Center as well as give me a copy. I attached that information to my request. When the Coast Guard found a problem with the 1261 (the builder failed to check "vessel built in US") they reached out to the builder directly and copied me on the letter. The builder fixed the problem and I got my certificate later.

We started the process before the build was completed (but after HIN was assigned) and USCG didn't have an issue with that. Because of construction delays, I got my COD before launch, but I was told if there was a delay in getting the COD, simply keep my application paperwork on hand to show authorities until my COD arrived. Obviously that won't work if you are leaving the country.

Overall, if you can follow instructions, the process is easy and it's not worth paying someone else to do it unless you've got the money and hate the bureaucracy.

California Documentation

Having registered many trailer boats and four trawlers in California I would option for the service to assist. If you are planning a Coast Guard documentation and in California, remember you will likely need to document an offshore delivery followed by getting the boat out of the state within a short time "if" you are doing this to beat state sales tax. We have done both (went to Mexico for 90 days (now one year) and stayed in California and paid sales tax. Remember even if you go out of state for one year and return permanently you will likely end up paying annual personal property tax. I used Chris Wenther in San Diego to set up LLC's for all our trawlers which can help with resale since the buying party if in California may not have to pay sales tax on the boat if he/she purchases the LLC. For documentation I would let his office handle the LLC and I would let the Mary Conlin (?) company in Orange County handle the Coast Guard. For us the reasonable cost for these services was worth the money to insure everything was performed to the latest state regulations and laws which change more often than one would think. The above may not be applicable to you or anyone else reading this post but a summary of what we have done in the past. No indorsement of any parties mentioned above is implied. Just information.

John

Back
Top Bottom