A new type of "Coastal Cruiser"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac2

Vessel Make
1998 RealShips Voyager
As I was responding to the recent post on the high cost of diesel, it occurred to me that my "Blue Water" boat had a lot of benefits a prospective new boat owner might want to consider. Even though I have never crossed an ocean with my boat, there are a lot of benefits I have learned to appreciate after moving up from a 36 Krogen Manatee.
1) Weight: At 90 tons I don't get rocked at the docks by passing boats on the ship canal. I'm dead still.
2) Anchorages: More anchorages are available to me due to the ability to drop anchor in more exposed areas and also being able to carry 500 feet of 1/2 inch chain. This is the biggest benefit to me. No worrying about finding a spot in the anchorage.
3) Massive fuel tanks: Being able to carry 3,500 gallons of fuel makes it possible to hold out for cheaper fuel prices. I burn about 8 gallons an hour cruising, so this fuel would last years coastal cruising in the PNW (fuel polisher is a must)
4) Safety: The fuel tanks, water tanks, and holding tanks, creates a double hull that Protects approximately 80% of my bottom/sides.

I owned the Krogen for 15 years and never suspected the benefits of the above. I prefer to anchor out, and would not recommend if you move from marina to marina. Heavy steel boats don't bounce off things.
There are other benefits, but I didn't want to make this to long.

It's like you're in my head
Been saying the same on here for years
Saving on marina fees alone in Oz pretty much pays for the boat.

Let's see more info and pics of your boat, sounds really nice!

I'm new to posting, so it will take a bit to ad pics.
Simi 60: Maybe I'm in your head because your boat looks very similar to mine (I don't have the enclosed upper deck). Is yours steel?
My dimensions are 65 x 19.6. Steel boat built by Custom Steel Yachts in North Carolina.
Only three were ever built before the plans were lost in a hurricane. Incidentally, one of them is moored directly across from me on the ship canal in Seattle.

Correction: Custom Steel Boats in Merritt North Carolina. They no longer build boats.

Mac2 - I agree on your points. We don't weigh as much and "only" have 300' of 1/2" chain but prefer anchoring to mooring balls and docks whenever possible. It's also nice to be strategic in when you take on fuel.

Mark me down for another trawler guy on here who would like to see more pics of your vessel. We're in the SJIs right now but back in Seattle (Shilshole) later this Spring.

Love your boat! The krogen 54 is a favorite of mine. Came very close to buying one. Did you used to have it on the ship canal by Fred Meyer in Ballard?
I will attempt pictures soon.

We're practically neighbors but on the salt side at EBM.

Mark me down along with Airstream345 that would cherish a tour of your one-of-three heavy duty trawler. :socool:

[/attach] B44884D2-C43D-4F0A-AC0D-374D3CB48648.jpg
A few older pictures.

Attachments

• 928FD935-9B8E-41B0-A9A0-812FD98556A6.jpg
    928FD935-9B8E-41B0-A9A0-812FD98556A6.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 87
Is that a Charles Neville design?

John

Fred McCarthy owned RealShips and takes credit for the design although I suspect Jay Beneford had a lot to do with it. They colaberated on other projects and my boat has a lot of similarities to the Florida Bay Coaster-especially the stern.

Fred McCarthy owned RealShips and takes credit for the design although I suspect Jay Beneford had a lot to do with it. They colaberated on other projects and my boat has a lot of similarities to the Florida Bay Coaster-especially the stern.

Thanks

John

As I was responding to the recent post on the high cost of diesel, it occurred to me that my "Blue Water" boat had a lot of benefits a prospective new boat owner might want to consider. Even though I have never crossed an ocean with my boat, there are a lot of benefits I have learned to appreciate after moving up from a 36 Krogen Manatee.
1) Weight: At 90 tons I don't get rocked at the docks by passing boats on the ship canal. I'm dead still.
2) Anchorages: More anchorages are available to me due to the ability to drop anchor in more exposed areas and also being able to carry 500 feet of 1/2 inch chain. This is the biggest benefit to me. No worrying about finding a spot in the anchorage.
3) Massive fuel tanks: Being able to carry 3,500 gallons of fuel makes it possible to hold out for cheaper fuel prices. I burn about 8 gallons an hour cruising, so this fuel would last years coastal cruising in the PNW (fuel polisher is a must)
4) Safety: The fuel tanks, water tanks, and holding tanks, creates a double hull that Protects approximately 80% of my bottom/sides.

I owned the Krogen for 15 years and never suspected the benefits of the above. I prefer to anchor out, and would not recommend if you move from marina to marina. Heavy steel boats don't bounce off things.
There are other benefits, but I didn't want to make this to long.

Yep,,,heavy and slow as she goes. Libra is only 68 tons, but same idea and also steel.

Attachments

• Morning commute.jpg
    Morning commute.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 63
Beautiful boat! Where was it built?

Netherlands. We bought her there and hauled her over here.
And thank you, we are charmed by her of course.

No one has talked about draft though.

I must admit I’m smitten by the Delta 70’s, though they don’t seem the easiest around docks.

No one has talked about draft though.

I must admit I’m smitten by the Delta 70’s, though they don’t seem the easiest around docks.

My draft is 6 feet. I am triple keeled in the stern. Two skegs with enclosed props and a center keel. It was designed to sit on it’s bottom.

My draft is 6 feet. I am triple keeled in the stern. Two skegs with enclosed props and a center keel. It was designed to sit on it’s bottom.

Were are you on the ship canal? I'm at SBMC about midway between the locks and the Ballard bridge on the Magnolia side.

The big, heavy duty designs definitely make good coastal cruisers if self sufficiency is a top priority.

But they do have their tradeoffs. Some destinations will be more challenging or off-limits due to draft with some of those boats, and if you enjoy the social aspect of being at marinas here and there (when they're available cheaply or there's a cheap/free town dock), cost and availability of heading into a marina will be a concern.

Now THAT is cool! Bet it's an impressive look to see that big 65 foot trawler sitting high and dry at low tide.

Now THAT is cool! Bet it's an impressive look to see that big 65 foot trawler sitting high and dry at low tide.

I would be extremely hesitant to beach my boat unless I was sure the shore was as hard as cement. I would be to afraid of sinking into the mud and getting stuck. Not to many boats could pull me off. I’m loving the keels for bumping the bottom or hitting logs.

Were are you on the ship canal? I'm at SBMC about midway between the locks and the Ballard bridge on the Magnolia side.

Im directly across from you. Was that your Nordhavn that just backed into a slip?

The big, heavy duty designs definitely make good coastal cruisers if self sufficiency is a top priority.

But they do have their tradeoffs. Some destinations will be more challenging or off-limits due to draft with some of those boats, and if you enjoy the social aspect of being at marinas here and there (when they're available cheaply or there's a cheap/free town dock), cost and availability of heading into a marina will be a concern.

For sure. One of my earlier posts stated I didn’t recommend this type of boat for marina hopping. My goals are to never touch a dock when I go cruising (other then my dinghy). I plan on installing solar panels and wind generators to help with this endeavor.

Is that the old Steely? I met the owners and got a tour in Petersburg in 2012. Cool boat!

I would be extremely hesitant to beach my boat unless I was sure the shore was as hard as cement. I would be to afraid of sinking into the mud and getting stuck.

I doubt that could ever happen - buoyancy is a pretty powerful lifter

But more of a concern could be one side being on hard and the other soft, one "keel" sinks in and you roll.

Simi 60: Maybe I'm in your head because your boat looks very similar to mine (I don't have the enclosed upper deck). Is yours steel?

Yep, 2 inches thick

Oh wait, that'd be timber ;)

65 tonne (71 UST) and 7.5ft draught

My goals are to never touch a dock when I go cruising (other then my dinghy). I plan on installing solar panels and wind generators to help with this endeavor.

Sounds like a good goal. However I’d drop the wind generator idea. Save the money for some more solar, perhaps on some swing out mounts if you don’t have the deck space.

Back
Top Bottom