Old 02-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
New Stereo

I am not sure if I am doing this for the right reasons or for superstitious ones. *The last time I spent a good bit of money for a stereo, my boat sold the next week. *So here we go again. *Will be getting a Kenwood head unit(KMR700U). *It is kinda cool because it has no CD player or anything....just and iPod interface and your ability to fully navigate the iPod thru the head unit or the remote display unit. *Every piece of music I own is on my iPod so this sure makes sense to me versus carrying around a buttload of CDs. *The face folds down and there is the connector along with a water proof storage shelf to hold the iPod so it isn't just hanging out.

The sound side of things will be all JL Audio. *6 channel amp with 6 speakers and a sub. *So here's to the new owner enjoying my stereo!!!! *Seriously, this stereo should be pretty nice. *My wife's company is doing the work and they have the same set up on their boat and it sounds awfully nice.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
RE: New Stereo

What? No external amplifier? I put a 100 watt on mine right after putting in the stereo and it makes a world of difference, especially when the volume is turned up.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #3

New Stereo

Don't know what you mean by "external". The amp will be in the galley under the sink.....JL M6600(I think) which means a 6 channel amp at 600 watts!!! It will be plenty sufficient!.......in fact, so sufficient Jim is convinced that I will be selling stereos on the lake this season.

Oh yeah....I will be in your marina this year. *So come check it out. *In fact I would probably be there but they have my boat torn apart so not gonna move it......might be able to move it this weekend. *We are excited about being over there.

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 24th of February 2010 11:12:16 AM
Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #4

That shoud be a nice setup, JLA is definitely the right stuff, You did not mention if*you are using a mono amp for the sub?* JL makes a nice small marine sub, M10IB5 witch works great with the M1700 marine mono amp!*
Enjoy!
Avista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #5

That is the exact sub I will be using. You can bridge this amp that puts 200 watts per channel X3....the third channel being the sub. I figure that should do it. There will be 4 7.5 inch coaxials plus the sub. YES does the best stereo work in our area by far!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #6

All I gotta say is WOW!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Where I boat a sterio is almost sacreligious.

Have you ever sat next to a Tide water Glacier?
The sound of the million year old ice crackling and the thunder of the glacier calving can almost take your breath away. Have you ever heard an Orca spout or a Hump back slapping it's tail on the water. You can feel the concussion. The cackling call of a bald eagle or even the cry of a kittywake or a gull is music to my ears.

Sure I have a sterio on board it is so old it still has a hand crank on the side.
I don't use it while running as I can't hear the engine.

When I drop anchor in a quiet cove some how recorded electronic noise just doesn't do anything for me.
You city boys and your tunes.
I'll take natures music anytime
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Where I boat a sterio is almost sacreligious.

Have you ever sat next to a Tide water Glacier?
The sound of the million year old ice crackling and the thunder of the glacier calving can almost take your breath away. Have you ever heard an Orca spout or a Hump back slapping it's tail on the water. You can feel the concussion. The cackling call of a bald eagle or even the cry of a kittywake or a gull is music to my ears.

Sure I have a sterio on board it is so old it still has a hand crank on the side.
I don't use it while running as I can't hear the engine.

When I drop anchor in a quiet cove some how recorded electronic noise just doesn't do anything for me.
You city boys and your tunes.
I'll take natures music anytime
Ditto from the coast of Maine.

When my son, a professional mariner, and I were bringing home our new, systems unknown, boat last year, I was hanging on in "high seas" while he was at the helm. I wanted to concentrate on the boat and the surroundings. He wanted to know if the stereo worked and whether he could plug his ipod into it while he "drove".

Different stroke for different folks.

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Yup. Different strokes is right

When I get away from it all.
Thats what I do. Leave the city life behind.
I turn off the cell phone at the harbor entrance.

Even if for just a few days. I'm all about the water the wind and the waves.
Just me whom ever I'm with and the sea.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:Yup. Different strokes is right
Yes indeed!* I love quiet.* But it does drive some people nuts.* Maybe they need noise to drown out the voice in their head?

I remember reading that in Gulf War I, Van Halen was the music of choice for attack pilots making bombing runs.* I can see that. But being an old guy I would have preferred Led Zeppelin or the Stones myself.

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #11

Yep, I don't think I would be blasting the tunes hanging out next to a glacier....there is a time and a place!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #12
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

At the Christmas boat parade, I bring my big home stereo with four sets of Bose speakers and blast the marina out. I've had the cops called on me a few times. Hahaha! I always tell them.. "Bah Humbug!"
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote