Old 01-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Houston, TX
New Shore Power Cord needed

Went to the Hattini this morning and someone has stolen the shore power cord. I am looking for advice on what brands to avoid, what to look for in a new cord, what to expect to pay etc....

Thanks in advance

Dave
dkasprzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Happened to us a couple of years ago, they stole the 50 amp to 30 amp splitter cord. I think that one piece was about $250 at WM. I made up a steel cable at WM using their tools and now look the splitter cable to a dock cleat.

If you have time check on Amazon, they sell the cables and splitters. We needed to replace it right then, middle of summer, so went to WM.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I'm assuming it's a 50a cords?

If so I find all the major brands about the same. The Hubbells do come with metal plugs that some people prefer.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Happened to us a couple of years ago, they stole the 50 amp to 30 amp splitter cord. I think that one piece was about $250 at WM. I made up a steel cable at WM using their tools and now look the splitter cable to a dock cleat.

If you have time check on Amazon, they sell the cables and splitters. We needed to replace it right then, middle of summer, so went to WM.
I was thinking of doing the same thing, going to a local rigger and have a cable crimped around the power cord and then locking the cable to a cleat on the boat that's near the power receptacle.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Someone posted these guys a few years back...supposed to be the best deal around.

50A Marine Shore Power Cords

Some will say quality matters...

Others say take care of whatever you buy and they aren't a lot different.

My less expensive Furion has been fine for 2 years now, shows the same wear and tear that I see on more expensive cords.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I'm assuming it's a 50a cords?

If so I find all the major brands about the same. The Hubbells do come with metal plugs that some people prefer.
Yes it was a 50' 50 AMP 125/250 volt cord. I found one made by Conntek on Amazon with Prime free shipping and the best price I have found so far.

I'm not familiar with that brand although all the reviews are good.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #7

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Defense Rest
Vessel Model: CHB
Found this ad on the local Seattle craigs list 1-21-17.... I am selling a nearly new 50' Shore power cord, 110 Volt. If yours is worn, you don't have one, or you need an emergency spare to connect your boat to shore power this may be what you need. I am asking $60.00 or best offer. $60.00 is about half the price of a new one. If you are in need of a shoe power cord give me a call at 206 387-6879.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I would say the major brands are about the same quality and the same price.

It's a shame people would steal things off other people's boats. Have you looked around the marina to see if you recognize your cord on someone else's boat?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkasprzak View Post
I was thinking of doing the same thing, going to a local rigger and have a cable crimped around the power cord and then locking the cable to a cleat on the boat that's near the power receptacle.
Ace Hardware sells SS cable (with or without the plastic sheath) and crimping lugs. They're simple to crimp with pliers or a hammer. I bet Home Depot or Lowes carries it, too.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkasprzak View Post
Yes it was a 50' 50 AMP 125/250 volt cord. I found one made by Conntek on Amazon with Prime free shipping and the best price I have found so far.

I'm not familiar with that brand although all the reviews are good.
Have 2 adapters made by Conntek that I bought on Amazon. They work, but not quite the quality of the ends on Hubbell or Marinco. The adapters are only used when a 50 amp outlet isn't available.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #11

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Chootem'. Any low life that steals will reckon for it in this life or the next. Zero tolerance. Burn lightly identifying marks and glance at each as you ease down the dock. No names just marks. Photo on your boat prior for positive ID. Tell trusted friends. This wasn't the first time or only thing but could be the last. Paybacks should be Hell.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #12

City: PNW
Or here 50' $210
WHITE 50 amp, 50 foot Marine/Shore Power Cord (7727) | eBay
Stabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. I ordered one from ECS High Tide Cords, it was reasonably priced. I'll post my thoughts once it arrives.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #14
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I am always surprised at the cot of shore power chords. If you really want to get a surprise, check out the price of 50 amp, 120v chords. They are ridiculously expensive. Unfortunately, both my dock and my boat have 50 amp, 120v outlets.
I have been using 30 amp chords with adaptors on either end. However I just found a 25' 50amp 120v EEL chordset on clearance at Fisheries that I just ordered.
This will eliminate the two adaptor connections at my home dock but of course I still will have to use the adaptors when away from home.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #15

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
I have seen a few cods go missing on our dock. I went to an electrical supply house near me and got 25 feet of black #6/4 cord used by carnivals for their extention cords and two Leviton 50/125/ 250 plug ends. The carnival wire has even a higher rating for water and oil resistance than marine cords. This is my home dock cord and man is it ugly. No one will steal it and it cost a fraction of a marine cordset. My good cords stay packed away for travelling. As I have only 120 volt aboard I was also able to make up a splitter to 2 x 30 amp as well fro way less than the marine splitters, also ugly but seldom used.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #16
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Buy a large lock and run the cable through the lock and lock it around one of your stanchions. That way you can't steal the cable since the ends won't fit through the lock hasp unless they cut the end off.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #17
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
There were a couple of sets of 30 amp cords stolen off boats on another dock a few years ago, I figured they stole them for the copper and it wasn't other boaters steeling them to use.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #18
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I once talked to someone at my marina (probably a dry stack boater, not someone with a larger boat and wet slip) who asked me if the marina owned the hoses and power cords. I'm sure it was an honest question.

I have had enough trouble with people thinking my hose belongs to the marina and it was OK to unhook it and move it to another slip that I fastened it to the dock with an electrical conduit strap. They will take the nozzles though so I have to hide them.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:33 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I am always surprised at the cot of shore power chords. If you really want to get a surprise, check out the price of 50 amp, 120v chords. They are ridiculously expensive. Unfortunately, both my dock and my boat have 50 amp, 120v outlets.
I have been using 30 amp chords with adaptors on either end. However I just found a 25' 50amp 120v EEL chordset on clearance at Fisheries that I just ordered.
This will eliminate the two adaptor connections at my home dock but of course I still will have to use the adaptors when away from home.
So, how do you limit the amps from the 50 amp outlet that you're pulling through you're 30 amp cord to your 50 amp panel? It's not really a question, more of an observation.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
So, how do you limit the amps from the 50 amp outlet that you're pulling through you're 30 amp cord to your 50 amp panel? It's not really a question, more of an observation.

Ted

Great question.

As near as I have been able to determine, the panel is actually 30 amp even though the receptacle is 50 amp. So The dock could feed me 50 amps but the breakers in the boat are only 30 amp so the boat can't ask for all 50 amps.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote