New RIB - Hypalon or PVC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FWIW, my experience with a hypalon rib was that it started coming apart at the seams. I replaced it when a PVC rib with thermowelded seams (not possible with hypalon) and was much happier with that boat.

Depending on where and how you use it, there are ways to mitigate the UV effects on PVC. If you get a boat with slip on tubes, replacing the PVC tubes when necessary is a simple task.

Seems to be a bit of truth to the welded PVC holds together better, but the Hypalon lasts SO much longer it's totally a no brainer. And if the seams come a bit loose, very easy to fix with the Hapalon glue.

Personally, I wish there were a good light weight NON inflatable choice.... but just really isn't any.

PVC inflatables are good at holding air until they don`t, and once they don`t as the seams start to fail there`s no real remedy. But, they don`t cost much and looked after give good service. Always check the thickness and quality of the PVC, it matters.
For Aussies reading, I`m on my second "Island Inflatables" "IA260", made in Korea(South:angel:),handles well, very stable, fair value for $. Handling characteristics can vary, and they matter too. They make (or did make) hypalon versions too.

I also bought one, maybe a 230 for our previous 7 metre trailer boat on a strong recommendation from a mate, and agree with your value for money comments.

These are sold by LFS in Bellingham WA or on their website Go2Marine. I see them here in Sitka on commercial fishing boats and they look good quality. They are PVC with aluminum hull and bow locker. also available in a 10 ' 1" model.
https://www.go2marine.com/Kachemak-270AL-Aluminum-Hull-Inflatable-Boat-8-8

https://www.go2marine.com/Kachemak-310AL-Aluminum-Hull-Inflatable-Boat-10-1

Where the hell do you sit? On the side tube?

IMO, that's a disqualifier on a $USD2200 dink!

528591-Kachemak-Aluminum-Hull-Inflatable-Boat_0.jpg

This is not actually true. Quality PVC boats have thermowelded seams (e.g. from Zodiac France). Less expensive PVC boats tend to have glued seams like hypalon boats (e.g. Zodiac Cadet). Apparently the labor rates in China make it more cost effective to glue the PVC than weld it.

The material properties of hypalon preclude thermowelding the seams.

Glued PVC boats can have the same seam problems as hypalon boats.

Yes, Ribnet is a good site for info on inflatable boats. They are much more prevalent as primary boats in the UK and Europe than in the US. There are some very nice ones in Europe that put some hard boats to shame.

Yup - as I said it is important to check the quality of any RIB whether its the PVC or Hypalon type. The range of quality from poor to good has increased for both over the past dozen years or so.
I know of very few prople who have had the larger RIBS like we have owned....of various materials.

These are sold by LFS in Bellingham WA or on their website Go2Marine. I see them here in Sitka on commercial fishing boats and they look good quality. They are PVC with aluminum hull and bow locker. also available in a 10 ' 1" model.
https://www.go2marine.com/Kachemak-270AL-Aluminum-Hull-Inflatable-Boat-8-8

I have looked these over and they do look to be good quality. Price is good as well and only issue I have is the weight, 141 pounds for 8´8¨ of RIB. Trying to stay closer to 100-110 pounds or less.

Seems to be a bit of truth to the welded PVC holds together better, but the Hypalon lasts SO much longer it's totally a no brainer. And if the seams come a bit loose, very easy to fix with the Hapalon glue.

Personally, I wish there were a good light weight NON inflatable choice.... but just really isn't any.

https://octenders.co.nz/

There are a few in the NW, I like them, but a bit pricy for me.

Have owned multiple ones of both. Both have their pluses and minuses. But believe hypalon is the better choice provided it’s from a quality manufacturer. Although it probably doesn’t apply to the OP very intrigued by “rigid boats”. Suitable for many of the trawler owners here as long as they have a suitable crane or freedom lift.
Always thought the weak point of a RIB was the air chambers. Like designs where there’s closed cell foam instead of air or the design has no air tubes at all like the Rigids.
Through the years regardless of tube material problems have been
Glued handles falling off and difficult to properly glue back
UV damage
Leaks
Need to attend to ambient temperature.
Admittedly we’ve are heavy handed users. Much UV exposure, heavy loads, long runs in steep chop, pulled on beaches and shingle. But at this point starting to think for such use an inflated RIB of any kind may not be the best choice.
Ron look at
https://www.rigidboats.com/

Last edited:
Last edited:

Interesting.

We had a nice little Zodiac Cadet 9' something with the single aluminum floor in PVC. I liked it a lot, cheap, light, fast enough with 2 people. We could tow it or flip it up on the deck. Life was good.

The wife did not like it, so now we have a 13' something with 60hp. Its fast, its stable, but it is not light. It an older one that has been re-tubbed in Hypalon. We will see how it last.

(the wife is all smiles in her new red race boat)

Attachments

• Rib60.jpg.jpg
    Rib60.jpg.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 10
Yup a 12’ plus a 40hp you’re approaching the 800 lbs limit of many lifts.

Last edited:
Yup a 12’ plus a 40hp you’re approaching the 800 lbs limit of many lifts.

Yep, we tow it.

My thoughts are..
For the smaller ones under 10' buy the PVC ones and rotate them out every 3-4 years and buy a new one. For the over 10' with all the fancy center counsel and what not, but they Hypalon (or what ever they are calling it now). And take good care of it and run it into the ground.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom