New Ranger Tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: I applaud those who recognize they need to learn and while doing so take the safest routes. The ones that I have a problem with are those new who think it's easy and they can just pick it right up. On the lake I learned from my hubby who had years of experience. On the coast and in the ocean, we had the most amazing couple training us. We told them to be tough too. I see where one person posted about 50 to 100 hours of training. I say to get all you can. Every time out with a good, aggressive trainer, you'll learn. Even though we employed our trainers, when it came to our training, they were totally in charge and they took our request to be tough very seriously. I'm so grateful to them. Docking was easy. Learning to properly apply all the rules of the water was a bit more. However, a few hours in the gulf in 6' seas that became 8' seas and going in different directions to get them from all sides, that was the day I learned so much about the boat and about myself. I knew that it wasn't the way I'd normally choose to boat, but if caught in it, the boat could handle it and I could handle it. Omg, I was so exhausted and shocked how sore I was, but I couldn't stop smiling. That day I felt like if I keep working at it, I'm going to get pretty good at this. :D

For those of you needing help with docking, don't be embarrassed. We all had to learn. However, when you get someone to train you, let them start in calm but then let them push you to dock with wind and current. Let them push you to do so with one engine, if you have twins, or without thrusters or any combination of things that will happen if you boat long enough. Hands on experience is so valuable. ;)

And to all those who have the experience, don't make fun of newbies or laugh at them. If any of us want to continue to enjoy boating and have facilities serving us, then new people jumping in is essential. We sure don't want the activity dying off. Encourage them to learn, tell them about resources, don't encourage them to get over their head boating wise or financially, but be glad they're joining in the world of boating. And be glad regardless of the kind of boat. :)

HP and Torque.jpg

Not everyone is going to do things the way we do them or the way we would like to have them do them. This applies to all of life, not just boating.

Perhaps this is how he was taught to operate the boat. Perhaps these features were a selling point on the boat. Many of the newer pod drive boats and multiple outboard boats have computerized operating systems with joysticks that allow the boat to move directly sideways or in any direction the captain wants and in a more accurate and controlled way than the most skilled captain can with engine controls and rudders.

Perhaps this guy will eventually begin to operate his boat in a more conventional manner, perhaps he will not. I figure it's his business, not mine and I don't think I am somehow better than someone else because I'm doing something a certain way and they are not.

Now if it's something dangerous, I would be concerned, but that would be the time to talk to the person, not just post about it on the Internet.

Not everyone is going to do things the way we do them or the way we would like to have them do them. This applies to all of life, not just boating.

Perhaps this is how he was taught to operate the boat. Perhaps these features were a selling point on the boat. Many of the newer pod drive boats and multiple outboard boats have computerized operating systems with joysticks that allow the boat to move directly sideways or in any direction the captain wants and in a more accurate and controlled way than the most skilled captain can with engine controls and rudders.

Perhaps this guy will eventually begin to operate his boat in a more conventional manner, perhaps he will not. I figure it's his business, not mine and I don't think I am somehow better than someone else because I'm doing something a certain way and they are not.

Now if it's something dangerous, I would be concerned, but that would be the time to talk to the person, not just post about it on the Internet.

Wifey B: I've also seen the exact opposite of the person who uses the joy stick and/or the thrusters and moves sideways to dock. That's the person who has the equipment but insists on ignoring it and only doing it the old way. Then they spend 15 minutes doing what they could have done in 5. :rofl:

We need to go beyond what we initially learn whether that's old technology or current so that we're able to go both ways. Call it bitechnological. I just like bi anything I guess. Or maybe it's polytechnological. Now, what was I talking about? Oh. different ways to learn and do and then hopefully branch out into broader knowledge and skills. :)

We have joysticks (no pods) and sometimes I feel like I can't even show off my mad docking skills, but I sure as heck use the joystick when available and it combines engines and thrusters so well. :eek:

In many endeavors, some like the old ways and there is the custom/courtesy for others to recognize the talent of doing it the old way if they chose to ( where I have boated, smooth docking with only the basics has always been recognized as a good thing)

One can feel pride (not false pride either) to be complimented after a smooth docking where people recognize it was done without anything but main(s) and rudder.

Not saying anyone should ever be embarrassed or made fun of for less than perfect maneuvering, but the opposite often is applauded.

The real pride comes when a dockmaster refuses entry and docking to some (even when they are outfitted with all the toys) until marina dockhands can respond but allows you to come in and dock without marina assistance even, knowing your capability. Also nice getting g to the dock way before the line of boats stacking up.

And yes they may be stacking up because someone can't maneuver with of without all the toys....:D

Last edited:

Ok Ron, I will apologize to him the next time I run into him.

Strangely, I found it more intuitive to dock 24- and 29-foot sailboats than my own trawler.

Opinion: a twin-engine boat is "cheating" more than a single with bow thruster.

Yes , I have owned 2 Ranger Tugs , and find that thruster overuse is common . I made it a practice to practice docking without them . They are very small and don't do much when the wind is blowing .
I see you where in Port Orchard , I am curious if you know what happened to the R 27 Outboard Ranger Tug that burnt up at the dock , last October .

Learning Curve

I have boated for 51 years in all sizes of boats from 23 years pleasure boating to 28 years commercial fishing. Docked in easy spots and ugly ones with whirlpools, rips and large winds in some harbours like Masset, CB Isle and Kelsea Bay. I've done some great docking jobs in poor conditions and some I'm not so proud of.

Even the best of commercial fishermen, who do this day in and day out, blow it on the odd docking. 'S..t' happens as the saying goes.

Every boat I owned handled a bit, or a lot differently. The one I now own - 3870 Bayliner with twins - had it's docking characteristics change to a large degree with the addition of 18" longer half tunnel extensions that I did last year. It changed docking from the easiest boat I ever docked to a bit more challenging. Even with this change it is still an easy boat to dock. Got to love twin power in a wide boat, at least for docking.

The day one stops learning on how his boat handles in different situations is the day he should be tying it up for good.

Everyone is on their own journey. I will readily admit that when sailing in the Greek Islands, or the Caribbean it can be fun to sit back in the late afternoon and observe the charterers' anchoring shenanigans, and mooring misadventures. I have taken dock-lines from crew only to find that the other end was not attached to anything at all and wound up playing tug-of-war with the crew. I will usually be ready to offer a helping hand if wanted, or - of course - if desperately needed. I learned by doing, and often by doing it wrong, so I am tolerant although I do confess to a little bit of pride knowing that I have evolved beyond that stage of learning. I also live above a community boat ramp with a dog-leg half way down, so I get to see trailering mishaps from my deck every weekend. All pretty harmless and tons of learning done along the way.
~A

Thrusters

Earlier this summer, I was on the next to the Calumet River in Chicago. The great lakes cargo carrier, the Arthur M Anderson, was going Up the River. The Anderson has both bow and stern thrusters. It has very few feet to spare going through the bridges. But they slowly made the passage, with no tug, using those thrusters constantly. It was a remarkable thing seeing this 69 year old vessel, 767 feet long, slipping up the river.

I have bow and stern thrusters on my single-engine boat. I use them, but also know how to dock without them. Their most useful purpose is to accomplish a fast, tight turn in the fairway because my huge wheel is 6 turns lock to lock!!

I have a Ranger Tug, and do use my thrusters, but am quite capable of docking without them as well. That said, these boats have a small rudder and a single screw. They’re not as responsive as some. I’ve also had my thrusters cut out from over use when I was battling a stiff wind, not a fun feeling. Hopefully the subject of the original post will eventually get to the point of “do everything to the best of your abilities and then let the thrusters add the “polish” to your docking”

We've noticed this summer that boaters are using their thrusters a lot more than the past. We call them Covid Boats, assuming that they bought it during covid..

The new boaters overly relying on thrusters is just the tip of the iceberg.

From observing other boaters this summer,, it seems like more and more boaters do not have any sense of boating etiquette:

Coming into an anchorage too fast with a wake. Anchoring without enough scope and anchoring too close to others. Dropping anchor without setting. Drop anchor, leave in the tender immediately and have their unattended boat drag towards other boats where they have to contend with the dragging boat.

Overtaking, passing too close to other boats. Not knowing the rules of the road in crossing situation.

Yakking on VHF 16, asking for radio check on 16, calling marinas on 16.

The new boater VHF stupidity that really irritates me is announcing a "Securitey" before entering narrow channels like Dodds Narrows, Deception Pass etc. These channels are plenty wide and no blindspot for two boats to pass without issue. The Security announcement is usually "Powerboat transiting XX Narrows, all concerned traffic answer back". No direction of travel, boat length or other pertinent info. If someone answers back that they are entering too, the announcer insists the other boat wait until they go through even though the pass is wide enough for boats to pass. During slack at these passes the VHF is jammed with boaters making unnecessary announcements providing no useful information. I think boaters make these announcements to sound salty/experienced, heard others making the announcements and others that are scared shi%less to go through a narrow channel

Expecting dock helpers to tie the boat to dock instead of doing it themselves. Not assisting other boaters docking. Not assisting other boaters when docking. their tenders to bounce into other boats at marinas (even rubber boats make thumping noises when they bounce into a boat in the middle of the night).

Towing huge tenders and expecting marinas to accommodate them without charge.

Waterskeeing fenders.

OK, I'm done ranting.

Last edited:
But…I’ve flown and docked a DeHavilland Beaver float plane at most of these Marinas north of Seattle, and that’s challenging too with its 48’ wing span and big tail… so I hope I can become proficient. And if I saw a fellow seaplane pilot having issues docking, trying to avoid the big pilings with their wings, getting waked or weather vaned by the wind or currents, I would help them not laugh at them.

I’m located where I see lots of you float jockeys in Beavers and Otters and I’m always amazed at the skill and precision with which you get on and off the dock. Pull up exactly the right spot, cut the engine, step out onto the float, grab te line and tie it up. Wow.

I confess to sharing some of the “too much thrusters” attitude. If it’s just the learning curve, fine. It seems like it’s lack of behavior models and desire to get saltier. I have no thrusters. I do have twins. Works fine.

There is a rumor that SidePower has come out with a new and improved prop that can be retro-fitted.
Any truth in that?

Just about five minutes ago, I witnessed this very thing. Heard a rather constant loud rumbling. Looked out to witness a 90'+ Sunseeker Predator leaving the Cap d'Agde inner harbor in a somewhat erratic manner. Nearly ran into a stone breakwater. Once it cleared the inner harbor into the expansive outer harbor, I could continue to hear it using the bow thruster apparently as a means of "power steering". Couldn't have been very pleasant for all the bikini-clad folk on board...

Yea, right, in younger years we sailed into the dock though we had an auxiliary. I wonder how long it took experienced salts from the pre engine days to stop mocking those who used their engines, in their eyes, excessively.

We all went through the same learning curve, but I agree that many boaters don't spend much time learning skills. Nothing new.

Sort of related: I am parked at a guest dock when this brand new 75 footer came in yesterday. The owner was using the joy stick, and did ok, with instructions from the salesman who was with him. Pod drives have given entry to big boat ownership to people who can write very large checks, but often don't have the background and bandwidth to operate them.

I am the captain on one of those exact boats and they take some serious getting used to. My 2nd time running it someone was being funny and playing with the joystick i was captaining down below in the pilot house and they hit the command button and at that point I didnt know how to lock my controls it got bad quick but i quickly realized what was going on recovered and preceded to clean out my shorts those pods and joy sticks are nice till they don't do what you ask them to do. give me shafts and thrusters any day

but to thruster over use defense. Always when im coming down a fairway to dock I do several things i pull back to neutral i check wind current reverse and swing rudder left right and center i clutch back in and hit thrust left and right for function too. I have had in my career at one point weather my boat or a customers a failure and still needed to get it docked with what I had. No with our little 29ft trawler high windage low hp and torque and full keel we have learned by trial and error the best way to back back into our slip is turn a slip early drift down center rudder and engage reverse (backs to port) and use the bow thuster for steering I will see if i Have a video of me doing this and post it. it sounds like a lot of thrust-er being used but is is in short bursts going between left and right to center up

Yea, right, in younger years we sailed into the dock though we had an auxiliary. I wonder how long it took experienced salts from the pre engine days to stop mocking those who used their engines, in their eyes, excessively.

I still admire those who sail, more so, cruise and either don't have an engine or use it sparingly.

Nothing wrong with admiring people who do things well. That doesn't include mocking. Admiring isn't mocking.

Hard to admire someone's parallel parking in a car where all they did was push a button.

Good line out of the movie "The Right Stuff"...... "spam in a can". But that is mocking..... :D

Last edited:
I am the captain on one of those exact boats and they take some serious getting used to. My 2nd time running it someone was being funny and playing with the joystick i was captaining down below in the pilot house and they hit the command button and at that point I didnt know how to lock my controls it got bad quick but i quickly realized what was going on recovered and preceded to clean out my shorts those pods and joy sticks are nice till they don't do what you ask them to do. give me shafts and thrusters any day

Agree, its like a a video game with a handheld as long as the computers are behaving.

Our previous boat was a pod drive/joystick. I should have known better, and sold it after a few years. An expensive miscalculation on my part.

To be fair, the early gen pods had a lot of bugs, but the newer stuff in the last 10 years is much more reliable.

My dock neighbor, new to boating, bought a Riveria 56 with pods. I went out with him a few months ago and got to drive it. He is not the type of person who digs in to the manual, or details. I said, lets try this aft docking station. We turn it on, but then loose the main steering command station forward. In retrospect, it was his error, and a simple command was needed to get it working.

No thanks, a straight shaft and a prop for me as well.

Yes , I have owned 2 Ranger Tugs , and find that thruster overuse is common . I made it a practice to practice docking without them . They are very small and don't do much when the wind is blowing .
I see you where in Port Orchard , I am curious if you know what happened to the R 27 Outboard Ranger Tug that burnt up at the dock , last October .

I don’t. I was just in Port Orchard visiting for a couple days.

Hard to admire someone's parallel parking in a car where all they did was push a button.

Admire their car and their car selection. And very happy for it if I'm parked in front or behind them. Gladly, not much parallel parking remaining. We get the tool at a time our need is mostly gone. I can't recall the last time I parked parallel.

The new boater VHF stupidity that really irritates me is announcing a "Securitey" before entering narrow channels like Dodds Narrows, Deception Pass etc.

A few of the cruise books recommend issuing a securite call and a few articles over the years in Pacific Yachting mention announcing ones intention. I just checked Waggoner's 2021 cruising guide. It recommends listening for securite's from larger boats, especially tugs with load in tow and larger commercial vessels. Basically the write up suggests if your boat is smaller, you should ignore calling, and when you do it should be on low power from the vessels VHF.

The new boater VHF stupidity that really irritates me is announcing a "Securitey" before entering narrow channels like Dodds Narrows, Deception Pass etc.

A few of the cruise books recommend issuing a securite call and a few articles over the years in Pacific Yachting mention announcing ones intention. I just checked Waggoner's 2021 cruising guide. It recommends listening for securite's from larger boats, especially tugs with load in tow and larger commercial vessels. Basically the write up suggests if your boat is smaller, you should ignore calling, and when you do it should be on low power from the vessels VHF.

Exactly!

No need for a powerboat under 75 feet to make the announcement and clog up VHF Ch16.

And if announcing, give more info than "powerboat going through XX narows".

Don't misunderstanding me, if I was going through a truly narrow channel like Pender Canal, Clam Bay/Thetis Island Canal, the narrow channel into Booker Lagoon or any other narrow, twisting, shallow canal, I would definitely announce my intention on VHF. I listen on 16 for a few minutes to determine if another boat is proceeding ahead of me from the opposite direction and make the announcement. I give boat length, power boat, direction of travel and approximate time of transit and then wait a few minutes for a response before proceeding

I know of one blind curve (corner) and I do appreciate a securite call..... and I give a securite call prior to that corner.
I dont consider this clogging up the VHF. They are short, provide information.
These securite calls are far more important that some of the trash I hear on VHF.
Now there is a real reason to make these calls on low power.

There is a rumor that SidePower has come out with a new and improved prop that can be retro-fitted.
Any truth in that?
Yes. Check their website. I changed mine out and heat old as spares before an extended cruise. I didn't notice a very significant increase in power or reduction of noise as they claimed but glad I have spares.

Admire their car and their car selection. And very happy for it if I'm parked in front or behind them. Gladly, not much parallel parking remaining. We get the tool at a time our need is mostly gone. I can't recall the last time I parked parallel.

I guess where I frequent it's more common. While I admire the engineering, I still prefer to admire those that can do both (any task)....manual or auto/ assisted.

Like gizmos for the boat, we don't "need" them, they just make things easier for the less..... "whatever level you fall into..... boat/car handler".

Ford truck I have heard will assist in trailer backing....I guess there was an increased need last year with all the small boats sold....but for many, it is entertainment at boat ramps for those watching the less skilled.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom