New "Private" Resort Announced In Abaco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Just announced.

By the shape of this cay I think it is Matt Lowe's Cay.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/hotels-resorts/montage-cay-resort-abacos-islands?amp=true

Interesting that they say "seven private beaches," there are no private beaches in the Bahamas, all are public below the high water mark.

Could be they are going to try and make it uncomfortable for anyone going ashore - like Baker's Bay tried to do.

We anchored off there for a night in 2018. There was development ongoing then. We set up on the beach and we're driven off by three guard dogs. I meant to complain to the authorities in Marsh about it but never did. Story in the blog entry below.

Beautiful Beaches, Fabulous Bars, And Mad Dogs And Irishmen | AtAnchor.com

Last edited:
Just announced.

By the shape of this cay I think it is Matt Lowe's Cay.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/hotels-resorts/montage-cay-resort-abacos-islands?amp=true

Interesting that they say "seven private beaches," there are no private beaches in the Bahamas, all are public below the high water mark.

Could be they are going to try and make it uncomfortable for anyone going ashore - like Baker's Bay tried to do.

We anchored off there for a night in 2018. There was development ongoing then. We set up on the beach and we're driven off by three guard dogs. I meant to complain to the authorities in Marsh about it but never did. Story in the blog entry below.

Beautiful Beaches, Fabulous Bars, And Mad Dogs And Irishmen | AtAnchor.com

From the linked article: "The island will also come with a 46-slip marina that can accommodate vessels with up to 110-foot anchors." I wonder what size boat would have a 110 foot anchor! :eek:

I find it interesting that all beaches would be public, even those on privately owned islands.

Jim

Yes. All beaches in the Bahamas are public below the high tide line. This is also true in Florida BTW. I’m not sure but I think it is true in many other states as well.

Yes. All beaches in the Bahamas are public below the high tide line. This is also true in Florida BTW. I’m not sure but I think it is true in many other states as well.
Same in CA and public access is supposed to be allowed.
This doesn't always stop a property owner from obstructing or harassing the public.

Very limited rights for the public in Maine in the area between HWM and LWM.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom