New power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CooperBrewer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hiatus
Vessel Make
Cooper Prowler
I’ve posted of this long ago, but now I am closer. I have a Cooper Prowler that needs new power. It currently has two 7.4 Mercruisers but I’m going to rebuild or replace. I’m considering Crusaders instead of Mercruiser. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sticking with Mercruiser would be cheaper and easier since the motor mounts, exhaust run etc are already installed and ready to use for those engines.

What has you leaning towards the change ? Is there something about the Mercs you didn't like ??

I just had the chance to get two crusaders ready to go, at a fairly reasonable cost. Some say crusader is a better marinizer... this is why I throw it up.

If the conversion eats up any savings then it's really a wash. More headache for the same cost doesn't make sense to me. I don't honestly think you're going to reduce cost of maintenance or increase duty cycles.

If you have the skills and the time and are doing it yourself, it may possibly be worthwhile.

If you are paying someone by the hour for the conversion, it will cost a fortune. If you go that way, make sure you get a fixed cost quote.

Crusaders are better than Mercs. They are simpler, have fewer problems and last longer.

However I don’t know if you can make enough gains to compensate for the expense of changing unless you can do it your self.

I’ve posted of this long ago, but now I am closer. I have a Cooper Prowler that needs new power. It currently has two 7.4 Mercruisers but I’m going to rebuild or replace. I’m considering Crusaders instead of Mercruiser. Thoughts?

Update:

I've decided to rebuild the existing engines. I have one of them almost ready to run. I will get started on the other soon. I'm doing most of the work myself.

Sticking with Mercruiser would be cheaper and easier since the motor mounts, exhaust run etc are already installed and ready to use for those engines.

It's what I finally decided to do. I originally thought that just doing a swap-out of any GM V8 would be "less work" and cost, than removal and rebuild - but it's not.

"I've decided to rebuild the existing engines. I have one of them almost ready to run. I will get started on the other soon. I'm doing most of the work myself."

If you are having the machine shop work done at a "speed shop" it will pay to have the engine balanced .Pistons , rods end for end , If you tell the shop your normal cruise RPM they can tune the crank for that RPM.

"I've decided to rebuild the existing engines. I have one of them almost ready to run. I will get started on the other soon. I'm doing most of the work myself."

If you are having the machine shop work done at a "speed shop" it will pay to have the engine balanced .Pistons , rods end for end , If you tell the shop your normal cruise RPM they can tune the crank for that RPM.

Thank you. I had the port side engine (small block) rebuilt at a local engine builder. It's in and running now. I will check out what you say, when I have my starboard side built.

Thank you. I had the port side engine (short block) rebuilt at a local engine builder. It's in and running now. I will check out what you say, when I have my starboard side built.

Edited to say Short Block, not small block.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom