Old 03-20-2016, 06:57 PM   #1

City: Jarrells cove
New Outboard

Hi..I'm buying a new 25hp for my dingy. Narrowed it down to a Suzuki or a Honda. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
mysticdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Suzuki is lighter.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Although neither of those would by my first choice of brands, I would suggest one thing to consider. 20 HP vs 25 HP. In both brands as well as others you aren't considering there is 40-50 lbs difference. 20's are typically designed to be portable and 25's are not.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:11 PM   #4

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Rain Dog
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticdreamer View Post
Hi..I'm buying a new 25hp for my dingy. Narrowed it down to a Suzuki or a Honda. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
What is your cruising area? Different brands have very different support in different areas. This can be a big deal if you are stuck somewhere trying to get a spare part.
Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:47 PM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Ugh. I found a five-horsepower, two-cycle outboard near my maximum ability to manhandle.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
Quote:
How is the dealer network in your area? Suzuki is pretty widespread now because of their popularity in the repower market. I know Honda dealers are more geographically limited.
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:19 PM   #7
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Nissan - Good o/b's
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Nissan - Good o/b's
True. And just a rebadged tohatsu - same as Mercury in this hp range.
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:51 PM   #9
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorenm View Post
True. And just a rebadged tohatsu - same as Mercury in this hp range.
Interesting!

http://www.nissanmarine.com/

NISSAN OUTBOARDS ARE NOW TOHATSU

Nissan Marine has discontinued sales of their outboard motors manufactured by Tohatsu Outboards, a longtime partner and manufacturer for Nissan Marine. Tohatsu outboards are identical and their parts and accessories are fully compatible with all existing Nissan Marine engines. Tohatsu dealers are able to provide parts, service and warranty support for all existing Nissan Marine owners. Tohatsu continues to build the same high-quality engine you’ve come to rely on and offers a full line of outboards, from 2.5hp to 250hp, all backed by a 5 year limited warranty.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:46 AM   #10
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Have a look at the Tohatsu 30hp; its the biggest hand start/electric start you can buy. It will start without any battery, very useful feature., and of course also has an alternator to charge batteries.

I have the Tohatsu 6hp extra long shaft ' sail drive' that's designed to push along big boats at displacement speed . very good little engine, lots of grip in the water and weighs only 25 kg.

Caveat: im nearly 60, reasonably fit, but I find that I'm only just capable of lifting an awkward 25kg outboard up onto the aft deck and out of the dingy.

if you're going bigger than 25kg you'll need help to lift it; so go as big as your dingy will allow on the transom or stick below the magic max liftable weight.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #11
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Make sure its an outboard she can start.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #12

City: Gainesville, FL
We have a 2010 25hp Suzuki V-twin on our 11.5' West Marine RIB. The 2010 is a carbureted model as opposed to the new fuel injected versions. Never any issues - except it came new propped for a much heavier boat, which caused it to go into overrev/limp home mode every time I ran over half throttle for more than 30 seconds. Changed out the 10" pitch prop for a 13" and all was great. Absolutely wonderful little workhorse that sips fuel and will push four adults along at 27mph. About the only thing I don't like about it is that you cannot add a recoil starter to the electric start version as the starter is in the way. That being said, it generally only takes a bump of the starter to get it running!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2398.jpg  
Old 03-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #13
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Honda 40 on my tender. 60 hrs over 3 seasons. So far so good.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #14

City: Jarrells cove
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Although neither of those would by my first choice of brands, I would suggest one thing to consider. 20 HP vs 25 HP. In both brands as well as others you aren't considering there is 40-50 lbs difference. 20's are typically designed to be portable and 25's are not.
what brand would you buy and why?
mysticdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:26 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
what brand would you buy and why?
I'd personally buy Yamaha, although I admittedly don't have a lot of experience with outboards, especially smaller ones. That's why I couldn't tell you Honda vs. Suzuki.

It's just those who I have been around who were knowledgeable in outboards have seemed to prefer Yamaha by a substantial amount. Perhaps it's where I was boating. The factor always given was fewer problems, but I do not have direct experience. The other factor was the availability of service, second to Mercury.

I'm sure you're more knowledgeable than I plus did the leg work. I would find it interesting and perhaps others would find it useful, to hear why you eliminated the big three.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:38 AM   #16
Guru

City: Sydney
What no Yamaha ???????
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:55 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
My previous RIB had a Yamaha 50, two stroke. It had not done many hours, ran very well but rather than keep it I went with a new Honda 40 four stroke for the new RIB.

Sure, Yamaha have 'owned' the outboard market for a long time and are still at the top. But folks I sought opinions from at the time (yard folks who see a lot of boats and engines, without any ties) said Honda, at least in the smaller sizes, have pretty much caught up. Not sure they will have the dealer network in your neighborhood but like all Honda small engines, you very, very seldom need them. Probably some daylight to the rest though.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #18
FF
Guru

"Make sure its an outboard she can start."

This is so critical , to keep the bride from feeling "trapped" on board .

I suggest folks consider an electric trolling motor and battery so "She Who Must Be Obeyed" can do as she pleases with out asking for help.

At the very least , make her the Launch Captain , for every ride to anywhere.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:08 AM   #19
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
I've had two Mercury outboards. Same model, one was always hard to start and the other always started easily.

When we bought Moana, the tender came with a 40hp Yamaha, worked flawlessly. Just bought a new tender and a new Yamaha to go with it.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #20
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I have a 20 HP Suzuki, fuel injected, 2014 model. I hate small four strokes, but aside from that it's been a pretty good motor. It generally starts on the first pull or two, but if it doesn't the starter cord binds and it will almost pull your shoulder out of joint. I've had two different dealers look at it, one of them twice, and both said it is normal.

It's pretty powerful for a four stroke and burns very, very little fuel. It's also pretty quiet. I've had a few issues with it stalling at idle, but turned the idle up just a hair and it seems to be much better.

I keep mine on the dinghy, though I used to take it off and store it in the Lazrette. It's heavy and tough to move around. The 20 hp is the same size block as the 15 hp, so I got as much HP as I could for the same weight, a really good thing to do with OB's. I see the 30 hp is only a tiny bit heavier than the 25?

I've owned a ton of outboards, overall I'd rate my suzuki 20hp a 7.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote