New one on me - anchor release technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So it seems to me...any anchoring situation can go wrong if one doesn't get past all the weak spots in their anchoring configuration.

As a pretty educated guy on operational risk management...it's all how one weighs the significance of certain obstacles to a successful anchoring and how one mitigates them. With many variables in anchoring, chances are there are many approaches on how to do it with none being right or wrong.

I've used this method for fishing on wrecks. If your anchor gets stuck, pull hard enough and it trips out of the wreck. Lots of commercial fisherman use this method. Don't think it's intended for anything but short term use.
G

In my opinion that is really bad advice. That zip tie will pop While trying to set the anchor and it will never hold

In my opinion that is really bad advice. That zip tie will pop While trying to set the anchor and it will never hold

And your proven advice is solid?

I would think after hundreds of years this " myth" has been around, it would have died out much more than it has.

I would think after hundreds of years this " myth" has been around, it would have died out much more than it has.
Coming from an engineering background I see no way a zip tie Could hold anywhere near The Pull that the anchor is able to generate. But feel free to use it on your boat

Reminds of a sailboat spinnaker prep method. Tying wool thread used for knitting around the kite as you packed so it emerged in a sausage shape. Wind broke the wool, kite opened up and set. No engineering degree required.

After reading many comments I’m not sure some of understand what the tie wrap does. It’s purpose is to have the chain lie along the shank so all the pull is put on the attachment point on the anchor. To break it loose you motor so the chain pulls away for the shank and the anchor pops out. It’s not made to absorb a tidal change or wind shift. It’s not permanent. I have anchored with this system in 30 knot winds while fishing

Mr Jones. I am the adjuster for LL insurance company company ,we hold your half a million dollar policy on your boat.. We hired a barge and a Crane to lift your boat off the rocks. It looks like it's totaled. But when our inspector looked at your anchor gear you had the shackle hooked to the trip attachment point not the proper location. No no I had a wire tie connecting to HT chain to the proper point... Sorry
your claim has been Denied due to negligence on your parts oh and you owe a bill of $30,000 For the barge and the Crane
No no no But I read it on the Internet that is the way to do it

Last edited:

I don’t think that zip ties have been around for hundreds of years.

Zip ties are just a medium, a light weight cord could be used as well. It is just something that will keep the chain against the shank and will easily break when pulled in the opposite direction. I don’t think anyone recommends this for a long term anchoring solution.

Zip ties are just a medium, a light weight cord could be used as well. It is just something that will keep the chain against the shank and will easily break when pulled in the opposite direction. I don’t think anyone recommends this for a long term anchoring solution.

Light line, zip ties, hech the one model of the hydro bubble anchor actually releases the whole shank from the flukes allowing the anchor to pull free.

We are dealing with "inside the box" thinking here Irv. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks Scott, I don’t think anyone with two brain cells would recommend this technique for anything except short term occupied anchoring. I’ve used it hundreds of times for fishing wrecks and reefs when I didn’t want to lose my grappling anchor. Amazing the arguments that can be made.
Cheers

Thanks Scott, I don’t think anyone with two brain cells would recommend this technique for anything except short term occupied anchoring. I’ve used it hundreds of times for fishing wrecks and reefs when I didn’t want to lose my grappling anchor. Amazing the arguments that can be made.
Cheers

We have forgotten more than.......

This straight out of Chapman's......tidbits like this....add lots of research, a lot of reading and real world experience makes up a person's pack of valuable tools.

Lots of anchors are designed to mimick "scowing" an anchor....sure they are an improvement in some ways but doesn't mean old ways are totally bad. This version of Chapman's was what they gave us in USCG Officer Candidate School.

Attachments

• 20220430_071644.jpg
    20220430_071644.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Scott certainly you more than me. Interesting I studied the same Chapman’s in the ‘60s when at a naval academy. I don’t remember the passage you quoted but it is certainly true today.

Thanks

Anchor release technique

I think most would agree with the cable tie NOT being the best idea. You can see that it would be easy to break, and the anchor would release.

I have an anchor buoy (https://swi-tec.com/product/self-adjusting-anchor-buoy/) that is attached to that hole on the anchor.

The strap that is attached is very strong and if you watch the little video, you will see how that works. The strap WILL pull up your anchor as it is rated very high (I read once but forget). On our LoFrans windlass we have both a gypsy & a capstan that could be used for retrieval if necessary.

The buoy is very easy to see so someone (IF they have any vision or consideration) won't drop an anchor on top of yours.

I did go to an automotive store and buy some additional reflective tape and put it on the buoy. Makes it stand out better at night.

BTW, the buoy is easy to retrieve, with a boat hook, my mate does it while retrieving the anchor.

The whole point of using the breakaway setup is use whatever material that will break when YOU want it to, not just randomly.

So thinking the "scowing material" will break easily is already a reason not to use it, but those that get the hang of what material will break when THEY want it to....can use this idea for certain situations...not ALL situations.

Baling wire

I use bailing wire, use as much as you want to be safe. Visually Check it everyday because you will see it get used up. But very strong and take some time to bust free but a constant tension on a hung anchor will eventually win and break free.

Now days you can get rust free wite.

Note, also use this wire to lock in the pins on your shakles

Back
Top Bottom