New Nautical word

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
Scend: The heaving motion of a boat.

I was reading an article about the Detroit A vessel that made the trans Atlantic crossing in 1912. Just a few ex certs from the log. they used this term I had to look it up.

Anyone have anymore archaic Nautical terms

SD

Scend: The heaving motion of a boat.

I was reading an article about the Detroit A vessel that made the trans Atlantic crossing in 1912. Just a few ex certs from the log. they used this term I had to look it up.

Anyone have anymore archaic Nautical terms

SD

Not off the top of my head. But Patrick O'Brien's Aubry/Maturin series are chock full of nautical trivia.

Here's one that was new to me- 'Careen'.
They would run the ship into the shallows and when the tide went out, it would roll to one side or the other to enable cleaning or repairs to one side of the hull.
Suitable spots to do this were called careenages.
I first heard of this reading "Shogun", a terrific novel by the way.

Greetings,
Mr. SD. Good to see you posting. I missed your reports from "away". Archaic terms. FIRST one that that springs to mind is saloon. Seems it's been replaced by beauty parlor lingo (salon). She's got me some drove b'y.

They would run the ship into the shallows and when the tide went out, it would roll to one side or the other to enable cleaning or repairs to one side of the hull.

I have done this with my boat several times. Just to check the bottom and prop.

Good word but I keep thinking of a glancing blow.

SD

To me, one term that has become archaic and shouldn't be is 'pitching.' I read on this forum and others the term 'hobby-horsing.' Seriously, hobby horsing? Pitching is the proper term for that motion of a boat. Totally annoying. Rant over.

By and large. You can't be both.

how abut stemming the current???

A phrase, rather than a word. But interesting. "Blow your stack" -- blow compressed air up stacks to clear out the soot. Expression in the old Navy. They would blow their stack(s) before, for example, a naval battle.

Good to see you on line SD :thumb:

I've no old nautical word to add just now... thought I'd say howdy to you... and, get in this interesting thread to read words/terms as they're offered. I recall any and I'll post it. To busy to think much about it right now. Cheers! Art

They would run the ship into the shallows and when the tide went out, it would roll to one side or the other to enable cleaning or repairs to one side of the hull...
Sydney Harbour has a small bay called "Careening Cove", used in early times as described, though a boat might sit upright rather than roll either side.

Sydney Harbour has a small bay called "Careening Cove", used in early times as described, though a boat might sit upright rather than roll either side.

Saw a sailboat careened at Beaufort, N.C., across from the main drag, next to the island, with two guys busily scrubbing the hull with long-handled brushes. Was flying an English flag, with the U.S. courtesy flag on the main shrouds, so guess they were following the ancient mores. :)

In places with almost no tide the vessel would simply be lightened by taking stores to shore and then heeled by blocks to the shore .

Sometimes all the guns would be lifted ashore to lighten the hull and get it higher.

A load of work , but a fighting ship with a 3 year foot long beard is pretty unhandy.

"Blow your stack" -- blow compressed air up stacks to clear out the soot.

It isn't air that is used on marine boilers, it is steam. Only a land based powerplant can afford the space and energy to use compressed air. The only thing a marine soot blower uses air for is the motor that rotates the lance. The soot blower lance and nozzles are located inside the boiler and aimed at the set of tubes they serve. At least once a day the soot blowers are used to "blow tubes" and remove accumulated soot that acts as an insulator and can create a fire hazard.

The soot blowers are fed by superheated steam (very hot and dry) in a sequence starting low and ending high. The forced draft fans are turned up to supply more air flow to carry off the dislodged soot and that is why it looks like the stack is "blowing."

A good time not to be on deck in dress whites.

I like my favorite weather term: "BLAMF". Blowing Like A Mother F-----
Unfortunately I see it far to often when I read my old logs.

A "Pig", while sometimes applying to shipmates, is normally a unit of weight applied to ballast. 1 pig = 56 lbs. I can only assume they had real scrawny pigs back in the day.

In the 19th century when the Navy shanghaied lots of sailors, you didn't want to eat the 'long pork'.
(Don't ask, it's too creepy)
It just popped in my mind after I read dimer2's post about pigs.

How about "ranging" your anchor chain? Defined as laying out, cleaning the chain and marking the lengths.

hmason-when I was a kid, my Dad was the CO of the USMC Detachment at Pearl Harbor. The Marines were in charge of base security and the Brig. The chief way to keep the prisoners in the Brig occupied was cleaning, scraping and painting anchor chains. Used to see lengths of huge, really huge, anchor chain with guys working on it all day long. Not a great job.

I'd rather peel potatoes.

Ever heard of a deadhead.

I have seen them. It is a log floating straight up and down in the water. First one I saw I couldn't figure what the heck it was. A big dark object covered in barnacles popping up and down in the water. The thing was about 10 ft long must have weighed a ton. I called a security with the location.

"Splicing the main brace"-Cocktail hour

Ever heard of a deadhead.

I have seen them. It is a log floating straight up and down in the water. First one I saw I couldn't figure what the heck it was. A big dark object covered in barnacles popping up and down in the water. The thing was about 10 ft long must have weighed a ton. I called a security with the location.

One of the reasons I avoid night runs. The ones that scare me are those that aren't popping up and down in the water but are relatively unaffected by wave action. They're either very massive or anchored to the bottom.

One of the reasons I avoid night runs. The ones that scare me are those that aren't popping up and down in the water but are relatively unaffected by wave action. They're either very massive or anchored to the bottom.

Agreed X 10! - Early 60's I was aboard a 38' +/- wood boat that "hit something" at late dusk off Montauk Point LI, NY. With boat moving at about 12 knots it put a fair crack in a plank about 4' back from bow on starboard side. We heard it hit and soon pulled enough plywood off bunks in the V to see water coming in. Luckily the old boat was made well from stout timbers. Crack was not too bad for the bilge pumps to handle. Traveling in dark can be dangerous. Avoiding items in water is one reason I like to pilot from flybridge. But even from there in dark a boat could hit something that in the light might be avoided.

It isn't air that is used on marine boilers, it is steam. Only a land based powerplant can afford the space and energy to use compressed air. The only thing a marine soot blower uses air for is the motor that rotates the lance. The soot blower lance and nozzles are located inside the boiler and aimed at the set of tubes they serve. At least once a day the soot blowers are used to "blow tubes" and remove accumulated soot that acts as an insulator and can create a fire hazard.

On oil-fired steam locomotives, the fireman would hold a shovel of sand beside the front of the firebox. The draft would pull the sand in to be blown through the fire tubes to scrub them.

232323232%7Ffp53436%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323845947%3A658nu0mrj

I Still use the term "blowing a gagger"

Back
Top Bottom