Old 01-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #21
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
RE: New member and what kind of animal is it?

Holy Crap! Absolutely stunning. Definitely a riverboat in my mind. I like the little chair leg 'booties' btw.
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #22
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
New member and what kind of animal is it?

sorry dup post

-- Edited by psneeld on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 07:40:05 AM
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40

Quote:
psneeld wrote:
For years I drooled oved Benford designs and have line drawings of many of his boats.*I went to his office to meet him one day but he was out.

*I like the Florida Bay Coasters a lot and many of you have probably seen a few listed for sale as they are/were hot for awhile.

But sorry to the original poster...here's Benford's own words about the origin of his ferry designs... "Starting with a clean sheet of paper and open minds, we analyzed the requirements of the liveaboard. From this, we laid out the parameters of the ideal houseboat"

Congrats and enjoy a great cruiser...ever get up near New Jersey and I'd be glad to pilot the NJ Intracoastal for you as so many are scared of it

-- Edited by psneeld on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 09:30:55 AM
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #24
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger

Quote:
Marin wrote:
(actually, none of our boats are trawlers, they're cruisers. Trawlers pull trawl nets.).*
*Marin not everyone..The result was a new and unique boat type, a bit longer than the schooners, that became known as the Biloxi Lugger adopting modern single or double trawl rigs. *

The rest of the article can be read here.*

http://www.maritimeone.com/id87.htm

Doc., That is one beautiful vessel. *I would say that is American Can Do Sprit in full splendor. *I like the enlay's on the floor, if you could send some more interior shots to my email I would like to use some of your ideas on my rebuild. *krause250@cableone.net

I*would say it's a steamer, with the whistle and all. *You could install a referbished steam engine (small) for the effects and you Sir would have a one of a kind River Steamer

-- Edited by swampu on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 08:36:31 AM
Attached Thumbnails
mary at anchor.jpg  
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #25
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Very nice, beautiful interior.
Are those Louisiana, LA, registration numbers on her in your fist post pix?
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Florence, Alabama
Vessel Name: Annie
Vessel Model: Homemade 53

Good mornig again to all. I am trying to figure out the website and how to reply to the responses to my posts. Do I repond to each* *one individually and if so how. I had typed *two long reponses and*one just disappeared defore I could send it *and on the other something locked up and I could'nt type any more. Not sure if its my computer,or something on the site so I will try again.

Two interesting things on Annie are here calliope which I built from scrtch and runs off my laptop in the wheelhouse and her steam whistle which is a 4" Lunkenheimer chime. The calliope was an interesting project and needless to say gets a lot of attention. Its not steam as I couldn't convince my wife to sstay in the bilge and stoke the boiler so I had to make it run off air. Uses a hot tub blower to supply air at 1.5psi.If anyone has installed a steam whistle on their boat they know the issues involved with compressors and air storage an the volume of air to blow a steam whistle of any size. By the way I collect steam whisstles....have about 5or 6 hundred of them in the basement.Biggest response was for more pictures of interior. I had to go through several thousand photos to pull out some to post.* When it takes 16 years to finish a projects like this believe me there are lots of pictures. The last image is ofAnniein Chatanooga across the River from The Delta Queen. Pic taken fromthe Walnut St. pedestrian bridge...

-- Edited by Whistledoc on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 09:50:22 AM

-- Edited by Whistledoc on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 10:03:32 AM
Attached Thumbnails
dscn7235.jpg   foredeck upper with bungs.jpg   dscn6481.jpg   showletter.jpg   dscn6501.jpg  

hawse cleat9.jpg   img2005-03-28 192151.jpg   foredeck ladder railing.jpg   dscn3786.jpg   dscn3776.jpg  

dscf1478.jpg   side deck3.jpg   sofa nd loveseat 16.jpg   stained glass 2.jpg   electrical panel 110v up.jpg  

stern.jpg   stairs11.jpg   dscn1857a.jpg table.jpg   dscn1942.jpg   dscn3776.jpg  

dscn1952.jpg   stair7.jpg  
Attached Images

Whistledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Lo ve the lines on the fishing trawlers. Some were used as oyster boats on Galveston Bay where we built Annie. I was looking for one to restore or to find an old tug to live aboard when I decided o build Annie fromscratch
Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #28
Veteran Member

After moving to Alabama from Texas she is registered in Alabama now
Old 01-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

If Benford considered his designs houseboats why would'nt Annie be considered a houseboat? She's probably more a houseboat than the Benford designs. With Marin's pic of the modern houseboat I can see why whstiledoc wouldn't want people to think of his boat as one of them. We don't have any of doze houseboats here in Alaska. But I'll bet ther'e everywhere in the south. A houseboat in THAT context she's NOT to be sure but I think what youv'e got there whistledoc is one grand houseboat. Look at some photos of old houseboats and I'm sure they will make you feel better not to mention the fact that NOBODY will relate the modern houseboat to your Annie. She's truly a beautiful and stunning boat. I can't see for sure from the underexposed photographs but the hull looks like it's a very proper and perfect hull for the vessel above it also. In my opinion over half the trawlers on this forum can't even boast that. Did you get that anchor at West Marine?

Eric Henning

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #30
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Yep, a river boat for sure. *What superb craftsmanship! *She is a beauty.

By the way, I live less than a city block from the Walnut St. pedestrian bridge. *When coming up stream give me a shout. *
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #31
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC

I lived in Friday Harbor for almost 10 years (after Jay Benford had moved), and always wanted to see one of these "ferries" in real life. I read Jay's books, and love many of his designs. You have built a truly amazing vessel, Whistledoc. As it is hard to "pigeonhole" such an animal, I think you've earned the right to call her whaever you want. The term "riverboat" certainly works for me, as it conjures up a more romantic image of traveling by America's riverways. And your Annie is gorgeous, befitting of both the term (riverboat) and the romantic imagery. Well done!
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: -

Ron--- When you're done screwing around with your boat you are more than welcome to come and redo the interior of ours.

Has your boat ever been featured in a magazine? I would think a magazine like WoodenBoat would fall all over themselves to do a feature article about your accomplishment (if they haven't done so already). And I'm sure the woodworking magazines would be interested in your accomplishments, too.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Marin wrote:
I would think a magazine like WoodenBoat would fall all over themselves to do a feature article about your accomplishment (if they haven't done so already).
If her hull is wood, or wood composite, they would. If not, then no. Shame on them if they won't though, as she surely is a beautiful boat with exquisite craftmanship.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #34
Scraping Paint

Ron said in his original post that the boat was built using the WEST system. By which I take it to mean that the entire boat including the hull is wood.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Ron--- Did you build the furniture, too?

Built everything except the dining room chairs. Was going to build them to match the table. Took my camera and went to a Danich Modern furniture store in Houston and was going to take a bunch of pictures of chairs and then go home and design and build the chairs. They had these iin stock and on sale. With the price teak at $17 a board foot I could hardly buy the lumber for what the finished product cost. besides I was getting towards the end of the project and I figured it would take me six months to built them and if we bought them I would be six months closer to getting Annie in the water. Everything else in the boat I pretty much did...electrical, plumbing, etc. My wife did all of the stained glass. Can't tell from the pics but all 44 windows in the boat are beveled,tinted and tempered.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Ron--- When you're done screwing around with your boat you are more than welcome to come and redo the interior of ours.

Has your boat ever been featured in a magazine? I would think a magazine like WoodenBoat would fall all over themselves to do a feature article about your accomplishment (if they haven't done so already). And I'm sure the woodworking magazines would be interested in your accomplishments, too.
When she was launched I sent Wooden Boat some images and a few pages of dialog. They weren't interested but did put a small photo in their "launchings" page.she's been in a bunch of newspaper articles and local magazines. Yrb
Old 01-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Doubt I will ever be done screwing around with her. Keeping the bright work up is a monumental task. She has 44 windows and every year she gets 4-5 coats of varnish. Takes a week to do the windows and that is only a small part of the brightwok
Old 01-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Whistledoc wrote:

When she was launched I sent Wooden Boat some images and a few pages of dialog. They weren't interested...
*They are truly fools then.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Ron said in his original post that the boat was built using the WEST system. By which I take it to mean that the entire boat including the hull is wood.

That's correct....all wood. Framing is Douglass fir. Hull is 2layers of 5/8" marine ply glued and screwed together. All plywood joints are scarfed and glues. Bulkheads are 1/2" ply . FFloors and cabin tops are two layers of 1/2" marine ply. All exterior surfaces are covered with Dynel which is a modified acrylic fabric. Dynel is laid up in epoxy and then recoated with 4-5 coats of epoxy and then he fairing and sanding began. All interior is solid teak, maple, and padauk from Costa Rica. No plywood inside..All solid lumber construction.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Mea culpa. I should have read more closely. Next time I see Jon Wilson or Matt Murphy I'll give you a plug (except then you may never get in the mag).
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote