Old 10-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosby-dog View Post
A new question - at what point is a trawler - say a Maineship 40 as was suggested or a Grand Banks 40-ish really no fun on a coastal ocean passage? We're not sailing to Bermuda, we're usually just hugging the coast a few miles out along Long Island or Jersey, but it can get big out there and that's what we do a lot.

I am a long way from the ocean and never go out there. I donít have much experience with ocean swells unless Iím crossing Juan de Fuca with the ocean swells coming in from the West. So maybe some of the East Coast boaters can give you some practical examples of what type of weather to avoid.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #22

City: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Try Chartering

Before you leap into the trawler from the sailboat that you know and love, I suggest that you may want to try chartering first. Like many on TF I am a recovering sailor, (42 foot ketch) but personal aging and a spouse that likes comfort and room suggested a trawler. For the past five years we have chartered for weeks at a time up in BC, usually out of Powell River. We have chartered a number of boats, learned a little about power boat maintenance and operation and saw a beautiful part of the world besides (also caught many dinners of crab, salmon and halibut).
So, give chartering a try.

And.....welcome to trawler forum!

Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #23

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
Hi Crosby-Dog,

Great suggestion from a previous poster to try chartering before spending big $$ before you're ready. Lots to learn, at little risk.

Regarding the "which boat should I buy" issue (not sure why you'd give a fig what my opinion is here), I'm sure you realise all boats are a compromise. They can be fast, cheap, or good. Pick two. NO boat will fulfill each and every one of your criteria for ownership. As an experienced sailor, I expect that's not news to you.

Many contributors on this forum immediately pile on the fuel burn issue of various engine/boat/hull/speed design topics. And I sense you are in that camp. But my experience after a lifetime of sailing, and operating of multiple power boats as well, is that the fuel burn is a minor fraction of the overall cost of ownership of ANY boat. For example, one of my previous boats was a 53' Canoe Cove aft cabin motoryacht. I saw 18 knots on sea trial, seldom operated above 10 knots, and averaged 8.9 gph over my 13 years and 2000 hours of ownership. Which was a whopping 8% of my cost of owning this beast. My current boat operates on 3.7 gph at 8.5 knots. Wanna save on fuel? Slow down.

Regarding coastal voyaging, most all of the common boats discussed on this forum (35'-60' moderate-speed "trawlers") are perfectly capable of passages of 125 nm in a day, should the skipper and crew be up to the task. Operation in open sea with typical 8-10 foot long-period swells is routine, and only complicated when they are on the beam, and/or topped with short-period wind-generated chop. Given stout crew, most of the production boats discussed endlessly on this forum perform just fine "at sea". Not so much the crews, but that's strictly a personal matter.

Again, for example, my Canoe Cove was routinely operated offshore along the Pacific Coast for days at a time, 24/7. Tough sledding sometimes, but not an issue for the boat. My current Pacific Trawler is equally comfortable at sea in 8-10' seas, but not so much with a 4' wind chop to boot. But my old bones are warm and dry in my pilothouse, so if it's nasty, I either stay home, alter course to maximize comfort, or turn around should my crew and I decide enough is enough.

Lastly, don't forget that 8-9 knots dead upwind inside a warm, dry pilothouse (easy-peasy most of the time) covers a ton more ground than 6.5 knots in the open cockpit of any sailboat. And this comes from literally years of doing both.

Regards,

Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #24

City: Punta Gorda
Hi! If you have any interest in a 1983 43 ft. Ocean Alexander Trawler, let us know. We are selling our trawler --asking price $94,900 -- due to some medical problems. She is spacious, comfortable, and runs great --2 Lehman engines. Lots of "newer stuff". We planned on doing a lot of cruising --but we now are unable to use the boat.

1mick1jim is offline   Reply With Quote