New Kids On The Dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"He that hath a trade hath an estate and he that hath a calling hath an office of profit and honor." - Benjamin Franklin

Hopefully this program will expand to all other states and bring back the “Shop” experience.

I can only hope!

Got my degree in shop teaching... years ago. It was looked down on back then as where the failures go if they can't do something better... and has never obtained a better reputation.

Certainly much needed skills.

I'm amazed how many "kids" (the current marine mechanics and the like) don't know how to operate a common table saw.

I think the demise of shop classes is going to be looked back on as a big mistake in the US education system. There are so many reasons for having occupational classes in middle and high school. I took many of them myself and was a TA as well. I saw how many kids who were lost in the STEM movement find a foothold and get back on track. I also know several who became very successful in adult life who found their way in shop.
The work of Mike Rowe to point out the needs and value of those who do more trade jobs was commendable, but more needs to be done there and it likely will have to come from industry who are suffering from the lack of skilled workers.

When I was in school, especially high school, I was an academic nerd and we all looked down on the "shop kids," many of whom went to a "regional vocational technical school" for part of the day. Now I wish I had taken a few of those classes, especially in electricity. Those kids got a valuable education. Now I'm teaching my boys to do repair and mechanical work around the house and on the boat because they're sure as heck not going to learn it in school. They go to an expensive private Christian school with outstanding academics and sports, but I don't think the school even has a shop, or shop classes.

I remember my high school advisor once told me I should think about becoming an auto mechanic. I was insulted at the time. He was still an idiot and knew nothing about kids, but I should have at least taken a class or two.

Back
Top Bottom