New House Battery Bank testing results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
Yesterday I replaced my 9 year old house battery bank.

The new bank consists of four Crown CR430 Flooded Lead Acid Batteries which are a L16 form factor, making for a 860 amp hour house bank.

In the afternoon I topped off the charge, and calibrated my Xantrex link pro battery monitor.

Right before bed I turned off all shore power. At that time I was drawing approx 40 amps.

I let the batteries drain to 50% charge, and recorded the voltages under load along the way. Here are a highlight of the results

-345 amp hours, 60% charge 34 amp draw, 11.73 volts
-430 amp hours, 50% charge 33 amp draw, 11.57 volts

These voltage reading were taken under load, as my battery bank was and always is supplying my house loads.
The Crown Battery manufacturers specification for under load at a 20 hour rate is 11.64 volts at a 50% charge. They say that a battery bank needs to be cycled 20-25 times to get up to its full capability.

Crown also indicates that at 0 charge the bank will read 10.5 volts under load at a 20 hour rate.

This was very interesting data to gather, and I hope it helps others determine when to replace their house bank. I will be recording the results in my log book and using it as a future reference.

This should also help dispel many of the myths floating around the boating world about house battery voltages. There are many charts and graphs out there and pretty much every one of them call for reading battery voltage with no load, which never happens in a real working boat, and the house bank is always in use. Crown and Trojan are the only manufacturers that I have found to present real world voltage data under load.

Massive amp draw.

What are you running that pulls 40 amps?

Last edited:
You could also use a battery hydrometer to verify state of charge.

Ken

Massive amp draw.

What are you running that pulls 40 amps?

Lots of stuff, but the biggest power draw is the KVH satellite communications system.

Last time I went cruising full time on a catamaran sailboat that had a couple of hundred watts of solar panels but no genset I developed a simple way to evaluate the batteries' SOC. I did have a battery monitor but it didn't work very well because I had to use two shunts to manage two battery banks separated in the two hulls but wired as one house bank.

So I would watch when the fridge was on and drawing 5 amps including an amp or so for LED lights and correlate the batteries' voltage against SOC with that much draw. 5 amps would drop the voltage about 0.2 amps so if it read 11.9 it really was at 12.1 resting voltage or about 50% SOC.

Worked pretty well for me.

David

Probably the stepper motor drive mechanism keeping station on the sat. 500W tells me this is a large system.

There are lots of things running all the time on my boat. I have three furnaces, two refrigerators, one deep freeze, plus the satcom gear.

Back
Top Bottom