New here- Hello:) need some help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello there,:)

We are new to boating. We have been full time RVing for the past 7 years, a family of 4 , my husband myself and our 2 adult girls (23,26). We are now looking to start full time boating all of us together , live in BC and are looking to buy used yacht to start our new adventure. We were thinking on motor yacht/trawler , and not sailing boat. I was wondering if someone here would be able to kindly share some information on the full time boating in Canada ? Are there any of you that have kids as our kids age and how is it going for you?
we are looking to buy used boat, we wanted 3 cabins , but it seems that based on our budget ( no more than 100k preferable around 60k or 70k) we would need to compromise on 2 cabins and maybe turn some area in the boat to 3rd cabin. Did anyone do it and have experience in it?
Are there specific boats/ makers that are better for beginners?

Basically any information you can please share with us regarding full time boating would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Thank you so much in advanced.

Welcome to TF!

I think many of your questions could be answered by boaters outside Canada, but I'll be interested to see if full-time boating with family is significantly different there or by those who live there.

Good luck moving from RVing to boating!

Greg.

As far as modifying a boat to add another cabin, probably not an option. If each of your grown children needs his/her own cabin you need to shop for a three stateroom layout. This configuration will require you to look in the 45+ foot market, probably not a real easy thing to do on your budget. It can be done though, depends on how much work you are willing to invest in the boat. With four adults anxious to reap the benefit of your labor there should be plenty of labor available.

Although it is none of my business, I feel compelled to ask. Isn't it about time these birds left the nest?

pete

Hi there; I'm on board my 42' Nordic Tug here in Campbell River, where I cruise Desolation Sound and parts north. Blue Sky has a master stateroom with a double, plus a second stateroom with an almost double lower bunk plus an upper single. Plus in the saloon there is a pullout double settee.
When my adult children visit, c/w kids, they always work out who is going to sleep where, and go for it. An important feature is the second head which is readily at hand for the visitors.
For your full time situation with two extra adults on board I could possibly see it working as you apparently are used to living in somewhat closed quarters.
But I wouldn't want to go any smaller.
Storage is an issue, and I can't imagine having someone have to make up a saloon berth every day.

Hi Pete

I guess we are a very close family who enjoys being together even though it’s against the norm expectations:) that’s just us, love to do things out of the box and usually go against the norm streams:):)

I guess that answers your question:):):)

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your search.

we are looking to buy used boat, we wanted 3 cabins , but it seems that based on our budget ( no more than 100k preferable around 60k or 70k) we would need to compromise on 2 cabins and maybe turn some area in the boat to 3rd cabin. Did anyone do it and have experience in it?
Are there specific boats/ makers that are better for beginners?

Basically any information you can please share with us regarding full time boating would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Thank you so much in advanced.

Ha! You got here before I saw your note on the other forum, good!

If it helps, if you're looking at boats in something like yachtworld.com...

Boats labeled Motor Yachts could have many of the same amenities as Trawlers... but generally have a semi-displacement or planing hull and more horsepower. Boats labeled Aft Cabin Motor Yachts are often the same as Motor Yachts. Boats labeled Cockpit Motor Yachts are generally aft-cabin models with a cockpit extension.

A 3-stateroom ACMY or CPMY could very well address your thoughts on space; an observation, not a recommendation. And even Sportfishers/Convertibles and Sedan Bridge boats can have 3 cabins. Third staterooms in many powerboats commonly tend to be relatively austere, often (but not always) bunks...

It can be semi-economical to run big engines slow; maybe not as inexpensive was typical small "trawler" engines, but usually easily manageable.

And then Trawlers are a figment of everyone's imagination... but if you read threads about "What makes a Trawler?" and similar, you'll probably conclude mostly that they are fuel efficient, often slow, and generally nifty. :)

Some powerboats are good for coastal cruising, some for ocean passages. This is where you have an early vote. Want to cross oceans? That'll lead you one way. Happy with coastal cruising? That'll lead you another... although passagemakers can certainly make great coastal cruisers too... but sometimes/often at higher cost.

Enjoy!

-Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom