Old 10-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Fletcher. You bring up an interesting point about GBs. Some are really used a lot and some dock queens.
True on all boats and I'd expect it to be very true on the new Grand Banks. They're targeting families and families have an extremely difficult task in finding the time to boat. Both parents getting time off plus the kids not having activities is hard.

In the US, we're the worst country about vacation time and planning. I've watched companies with US and European operations. The executives in Europe schedule vacations in advance and always take them as scheduled. In the US, most of the time they get interfered with. In Europe they're five weeks, in the US, two weeks a year is standard.

I never criticize those with dock queens, just feel bad for them and wish they could and would change it. I didn't take vacations until I married and then I started asking for more and took every day.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #22

City: Tarrytown, NY
Quote:
Just my SSO.

I was on the first 60 that came to the US. It was a pretty boat that reminded me more of a sport fisherman than a GB. Everything in the boat is bonded to the hull to save weight, the seats are molded in, cabinets, counters, ect. I thought it was a good idea but it doesnít have the look that I like. My good friend just took delivery of a new 60 a month ago. He likes it and itís speed. I bought his old 2015 54 about a year ago. I love his old boat (my boat) and I like itís speed of 18+ knots cruising. To each his own.

Too bad they stopped making the 54 Europas too - at least there was some resemblance - my guess is material costs.

legacy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy1977 View Post
Too bad they stopped making the 54 Europas too - at least there was some resemblance - my guess is material costs.
There were a lot of problems. Management and ownership issues and squabbles. However, Grand Banks, as it was under it's management, was losing money and in serious danger. They were on a watch list on the Singapore exchange. Simply put, they weren't selling enough at profitable prices to make it. Part of it was their factory in Malaysia wasn't efficient and was costly. However, a huge part was the demand for their boat wasn't there. People weren't looking to pay the price and weren't interested in the high quality finish work. At the same time, they liked boats like the Eastbay and like Palm Beach but were pushing for similar boats with flybridges. I still believe the old designs could have been revived, but they didn't believe that. Regardless, they've done a great job of reviving a faltering company. I didn't believe Mark Richards could do it, but obviously I was wrong there.

Now, i'd love to see them build a 65'. That just might interest me. Similar to their 60' but a bit more space.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #24
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Legacy

After I bough my 2015GB Europa (Heritage) I was speaking to some high ups at the high corporate level and I was told that building that boat today would be prohibited money wise. They built too much detail into those boats. Today the Malaysia factory has been modernized to allow less skilled workers to produce a fine product which reduces costs.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:39 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Legacy

After I bough my 2015GB Europa (Heritage) I was speaking to some high ups at the high corporate level and I was told that building that boat today would be prohibited money wise. They built too much detail into those boats. Today the Malaysia factory has been modernized to allow less skilled workers to produce a fine product which reduces costs.
I would put it slightly different than they did. Building that same boat today with the same methods they were using in the same factory would be prohibitive. Building anything like that was, which is why the factory was modernized. That factory was two and three years ago very expensive. Their costs were outrageous. Nothing to do with what model, but simply the entire set up. The update of the facility makes the cost reasonable, but compared to other countries, Malaysia isn't a low cost place to manufacture, especially when 75% of the boats get shipped to the US and nearly 100% get shipped somewhere.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #26
Guru

Malaysia has some of the finest wood/teak craftsman in the world, the new factory doesn’t require as much of that craftsmanship. Sign of the times I guess but I’m certainly happy I have an old school boat, it has a certain charm and weighs over 80K pounds so it’s not fast like the new 60 but does have a stand up engineroom. LOL
Old 10-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Malaysia has some of the finest wood/teak craftsman in the world, the new factory doesnít require as much of that craftsmanship. Sign of the times I guess but Iím certainly happy I have an old school boat, it has a certain charm and weighs over 80K pounds so itís not fast like the new 60 but does have a stand up engineroom. LOL
I like the old and the new. I loved the design of the 65' Aleutian. I like the design of your boat. I still believe either could be built with the quality they had far cheaper than GB was building them not long ago. Even so, I don't know how strong that market would have been had they not let it die. Out of sight, out of mind, and they were very much out of sight for several years. I don't have any doubts about the wood craftsmen in Malaysia. They just weren't utilized in an efficient boat manufacturing operation.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #28
Guru

BandB

I agree plus the marketing of the brand was thru dealers, now the company markets it own product. They hired all the GB high volume salespeople of the Old dealers and Mark Richards brought new manufacturing ideas, the old work bays of GB are now all closed in to increase production. Hopefully they will succeed.