Old 10-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #21
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Shibaura. Similar to Kubota. Both mini tractor engines.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:46 AM   #22

City: Fort Lauderdale
Hi, I have two 20.5 EFKOZD. Installed in 2019.

I have had quite a few problems in the first year, including changing out a rotor after 25 hrs due to a ground fault, raw water pumps leaking, faulty oil pressure sensors. All of which I had to pay for.

My biggest beef is the DecisionMaker management system. It starts both generators each time I request power, they have a chat and then it shuts down the one with most hours. Similarly, when I am finished with generators it will start the offline one for a couple of minutes before shutting both down. This puts twice the necessary starts on a cold generator.

And forget about support, the Fort Lauderdale Kohler dealer, RPM Diesel, had to give up fault finding a parallelling issue I was having because Kohler USA would not return their phone calls or emails. RPM actually put that on the invoice.

Northern Lights supply a much better package in my opinion.
Kerryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #23

City: Fort Lauderdale
Kohler support.....NOT

I have two 20.5kw Kohlers on my boat and they are good generators but kohler's tech support is useless. I had a Florida dealer send me a bill for an unresolved issue stating his emails to kohler went unanswered and he could not proceed and i had to leave. And this is how they treat their dealers!
Kerryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:29 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Find out if anyone can service it in your area. I have an 8K Diesel Kohler. It took me 2.5 years to find someone who could actually service it. A few said they'd come out, but lots of "You're on the list" then no shows.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:36 PM   #25

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
New Generator - Kohler?

I had a 5K Kohler on my SeaRay and it was glitchy. Love my Northern Lights.
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:30 PM   #26

City: ANCHORAGE
Vessel Name: No Reservations
Vessel Model: Cooper Prowler 10m Sundeck
I worked at Kohler Co. for 17 years. Their quality is absolutely top-notch.
EyeOnAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:39 AM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOnAlaska View Post
I worked at Kohler Co. for 17 years. Their quality is absolutely top-notch.
Kohler is very popular in Europe where service is widely available. We have Kohler and Northern Lights. In the US, we'd always choose Northern Lights over anyone else. We've also had Onan. We had no problems with them and we've had no issues with Kohler. However, we've heard of Kohler issues from others in other parts of the country, especially delays in parts and repairs.

However, in South Florida, there are plenty who service Kohler. TAW, RPM, Sun Power, Don Hillman are a few. TAW is actually a distributor.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:01 AM   #28
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I have a 38yo Perkins-powered 12.5kw Kohler with 1,800 hours on the clock. Still produces 118 volts at 59.7hz with a 3/4 load.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:13 PM   #29

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
I think I have a pretty good idea what's going on with the old ONAN discussed in a thread below and we can keep it going for a while. However, Mathew may be changing things. Docks and infrastructure are apt to be severely damaged all over our winter cruising grounds this year which raises the ante on having a very reliable generator. It may be a lot harder to find shore power to save that freezer full of food than in past years.

Our boatyard is a Kohler dealer. They said they would put in anything we want but the mechanic said he has had less trouble with the Kohler's than others and that they are very common in RV's so have a large support network.

Does this jibe with the collective wisdom here?

I'm liking the 3 cylinder 6EKOD. It is only 6 KW as opposed to the 7.5 which is in the boat but I wouldn't mind doing some load management, such as shutting down AC and heat while cooking on the electric stove, in return for less up front cost and not having the generator running so lightly most of the time.

We haven't found the noise level of the ONAN 2 banger objectionable but the vibration is. I'm thinking of maybe trying the new unit without the sound shield and then adding it later if we think it is needed. Working on the ONAN with the shield certainly has been a pain.

Any opinions on the quietest and smoothest gen set in the 6 -7.5 KW range? That's the first mate's biggest concern. Service and support shouldn't be a major issue for a brand new installation.
I had a new Carver C34 with a gas Kohler 7.5kw genset. I had nothing but trouble with it. Not even the Kohler tech could figure out why it acted as if the starting battery was dead the next morning while on the hook. The remote start never worked either. It was also very loud. I assume that was due to the high revving gas engine. That and other issues were why I sold the boat after two years and bought my NP45. Everything worked right from day 1 with the NP45. I'm very happy with it. I have a Northern Lights 9 kw diesel genset which, works like a charm.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:53 PM   #30

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Due diligence on build quality, specs and servicing will lead to either NL Luggar or Phaser Kabota. Installer should be approved by manufacturer.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:13 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
I had a new Carver C34 with a gas Kohler 7.5kw genset. I had nothing but trouble with it. Not even the Kohler tech could figure out why it acted as if the starting battery was dead the next morning while on the hook. The remote start never worked either. It was also very loud. I assume that was due to the high revving gas engine. That and other issues were why I sold the boat after two years and bought my NP45. Everything worked right from day 1 with the NP45. I'm very happy with it. I have a Northern Lights 9 kw diesel genset which, works like a charm.
I don't really think it's fair to compare a gas generator to a diesel one.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:33 PM   #32
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
How can they be so glitchy and troublesome?
Its a simple diesel engine and a big alt end.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Didcot UK
Vessel Name: Jarrow Lily
Vessel Model: Island Packet SP Cruiser
Unhappy

I have a lovely boat but am impecunious.

I won on ebay a Westerbeke 8KW diesel powered open genset which had been used on a commercial vessel. New cost installed here in the UK would have been $17,000 Dollars. Things are very expensive here.

I renovated and serviced it, installed it myself and it owes me $3500 Dollars in the boat.

Three years service with no problems at all.

I put this down to deep sixing ALL the sensors and cutouts.

It it has oil in the sump, water coming out of the exhaust that is good enough for me.

A friend with the same boat as me fitted with an Onan calls the repairman out all the time. $125 Dollars call out plus parts and labour.

I'm a time served mechanic who spent 35 years repairing and restoring Vintage - pre 1930 - cars and motorbikes.

No sensors on those....................

When cruising it is used for one to one and a half hours each morning for providing hot water, charging the house bank and cooking with electricity. We charge all the devices at this time too.

I found a UK Company who custom made a sound blanket which has stiff sides, front, back and top and velcro's together. Made it a lot quieter.

Works for us.
Jarrow Lily is offline   Reply With Quote