New Forum Tips & Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Just wanted to start this thread as some people may need some help getting thru this big change.

First one I can provide is to make sure you check your options page to change the option that sends you an email whenever ANYONE replies to a thread you contributed to. In about an hour, I had 10 emails and my iPhone was pinging like there was a girl scout at the door. :D

Y'all help everyone out!

Tom-

It would appear on first glance that personal avatars are lost on responses to threads

You need to redo your avatar... Sorry.

so we start from the beginning.... okay... but I must say that I find the look of the pages quite harsh... this might seem nitpicking... but the colours seem very strong....

By the way... how does one redo our avatar picture... I don't see any easy intstructions!

Check out the TrawlerForum.com Technical Help section, Janet has many helpful hints and tricks describing how to do things. I like the new look.....it grows on you.

I just ried to upload the picture I use in my previous avatar... and for some reason it wouldn't do it!!
I am not impressed!

It shows my regular image and then says no!

redid my avatar and signature and avatar does show up on threads I posted. Chuck

I have searched for posts by members... with no results... this does not seem user friendly!

I see my picture on my profile... is it really here?

so... just checking.. why does my avatar appear when I check my profile but not on the various theads?

so... just checking.. why does my avatar appear when I check my profile but not on the various theads?
As Janet mentioned this software has two photos that can be loaded. One is much larger and shows on your profile and the other is the smaller avatar. It looks like you uploaded your photo to the Profile Photo because I see it here on your profile:
Trawler Forum - View Profile: Delia Rosa

You can use this the Edit Avatar link in the UserCP to upload your avatar. Here is link to the page for your convenience:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/profile.php?do=editavatar
I have searched for posts by members... with no results... this does not seem user friendly!
I just tried to search for posts I started using the advanced search and was able to find all posts by user and all discussions started by a user. You can access this search tool from the search menu above and then go to advanced search. Here is a link for your convenience:
Trawler Forum - Search Forums

As we have mentioned, we know there are some kinks to work out. If you post an example of a member who is not showing any results and should be that will help us troubleshoot the issue and get it fixed.

Thanks for your patience as we get settled on this new software. I understand it might be a bit frustrating at first but hang in there. You will get the hang of it and most likely learn to appreciate the many new features.

I think it was far better to have the topics grouped together .

That way it was easier to skip over things one does not care about ,like "fuel prices" .This new format is far klunkier .

FF

I think it was far better to have the topics grouped together. That way it was easier to skip over things one does not care about ,like "fuel prices".
I don't understand, we have the same forum groups as before. Can you describe the way you used to surf through the site vs now so I can understand the difference and hopefully find a way to offer the same experience?

Have seen this program on other forums. It seems to be a good one. I can still use my old book marks for specific parts of the forum. Just takes an adjustment period since it is a change and probably most of us on here are older guys and we don't adjust well, but don't panic.

FighterPilot,

We tried very hard to setup rewriting rules to redirect old URLs (bookmarks) so they would still work. Most of the links to discussions and forums will work but other sections of the sites might not.

I agree about changes like this not being easy but as you pointed out, many people have experience with this software from the many other popular forums that running it. I suspect that in 2-3 months the conversion will be old news and most everyone will have forgotten about the software change.

Thanks for the help re Avatars.... as you can see, ours is now working!

And after playing around a bit with the site, it is much easier to use than we originally thought!

First one I can provide is to make sure you check your options page to change the option that sends you an email whenever ANYONE replies to a thread you contributed to. In about an hour, I had 10 emails and my iPhone was pinging like there was a girl scout at the door. :D

Tom-

Important safety tip Tom. Just checked my email for the first time since the login:eek:

Cross the streams - YouTube

On a serious note though, can the forum default be changed to no notifications to ease the frustration factor for some of our users that are less used to this software format?

On a serious note though, can the forum default be changed to no notifications to ease the frustration factor for some of our users that are less used to this software format?

Yes please! There are enough new things for us to sort through (not a bad thing) without the distraction of our in boxes filling up before we even know why.

What the dickens is a BB code and what is one to do to change it?

What the dickens is a BB code and what is one to do to change it?

BBCode or Bulletin Board Code is a lightweight markup language used to format posts in many message boards. It's the code that makes text bold or underlined, indented, etc and is more secure that html. Here's a Wikipedia link that goes into great detail if you want to read further

You don't have to know any of this code to post, but instead can use the formatting icons at the top of the reply editor. (highlight text to be formatted and then click on the icon).

If you want to see a list of BB code options you can look here

:)

a slightly different challenge...althought I am already logged in... when I check my email and respond by clipping on posts through my email, they don't always recognize that I am already logged in.... is there a time out function or something?

If you click the 'remember me' box when you log in that may help. If you don't log out (just navigate away) your connection with the server will be severed after about 30 minutes of inactivity.

Technically it's possible but we have found that having the default to instant emails (like the previous software handled subscriptions) brings people back and gets them posting more often. Most members who posts quite a bit will go in and tweak the setting to their liking. If anyone starts to get too many emails all they have to do is contact us and we can remove their old subscriptions and change them to daily, weekly or none. To contact us, they can reply to any of the emails they get or use the Contact Us link on the bottom right of every page.

How do I ditch the "trawler Discussions" sidebar so thread read right across the page? At present threads take up just over 1/2 of page width.

How do I ditch the "trawler Discussions" sidebar so thread read right across the page? At present threads take up just over 1/2 of page width.

There is an option in your user cp. Look for edit options and then scroll all the way to the bottom of the options list. Don't forget to hit save to implement the changes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom