New to the forum and in need of rotary power selector switch advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayday

Vessel Name
Traiteur
Vessel Make
2000 Grand Banks 46 Classic
My wife and I aren’t new to boating but our recently purchased 2000 GB 46 Classic is new to us. We found her up in Harpswell, Maine where she’s spent about 8 months of the year in a heated warehouse. She’s been more than well cared for by her previous owner. Tho we live in New Orleans and are now keeping her in St. Augustine, we’re currently down in the Keys... where we’ve encountered our first mechanical issue: our air conditioning shut down one night. An experienced marine AC tech diagnosed the problem. Nothing wrong with the AC. He traced the source of the problem to the rotary power selector switch in the boat’s breaker box. Half of it died he said. The boat operates off 240 / 50 amp shore power or its 12kw Northern Lights gen. He says the all that’s needed is to replace the selector switch. It’s a 5 position switch: GEN, FWD shore pwr, AFT shore pwr, INVerter, and OFF. Or maybe a 4 position if not counting OFF. He says it’s a Kraus & Naimer switch, but he can’t find a part number on it. I’ve searched a few marine electrical supply sites and the closest I can get to what I have is a 65 amp 3 position Blue Seas version. I’m hoping for some insight into where I can find an appropriate 4 position replacement.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. I was going to suggest Blue Seas, maybe give them a call and see what they suggest.

My wife and I aren’t new to boating but our recently purchased 2000 GB 46 Classic is new to us. We found her up in Harpswell, Maine where she’s spent about 8 months of the year in a heated warehouse. She’s been more than well cared for by her previous owner. Tho we live in New Orleans and are now keeping her in St. Augustine, we’re currently down in the Keys... where we’ve encountered our first mechanical issue: our air conditioning shut down one night. An experienced marine AC tech diagnosed the problem. Nothing wrong with the AC. He traced the source of the problem to the rotary power selector switch in the boat’s breaker box. Half of it died he said. The boat operates off 240 / 50 amp shore power or its 12kw Northern Lights gen. He says the all that’s needed is to replace the selector switch. It’s a 5 position switch: GEN, FWD shore pwr, AFT shore pwr, INVerter, and OFF. Or maybe a 4 position if not counting OFF. He says it’s a Kraus & Naimer switch, but he can’t find a part number on it. I’ve searched a few marine electrical supply sites and the closest I can get to what I have is a 65 amp 3 position Blue Seas version. I’m hoping for some insight into where I can find an appropriate 4 position replacement.

Kraus Naimer switches are still available. There are sold at most marine stores. Sounds like you are looking for a less common switch. As mentioned earlier, look at the back of the switch for a model number, most likely C??.

If these switches get to hot from loose or corroded connections they over heat and fail internally.

Try Dan Thibault, Customn Marine 843-230-3536 He helped me find a very rare K&N C42 just a few years ago.

Last edited:
Perhaps a simpler solution would be easier to maintain / operate in the future?

Install on the the internal power cable a std range plug. These are 4 terminal and rated 250V a 50A per leg.under $20 at a box store.

Wire sockets , one from the outside power source , one from the gen set, and one from the inverter system.
Plug in to which ever socket is powered.

Doesn't take much longer to pull and push a plug in a socket, than rotate a switch.

Under $100 for everything , no unobtanium required.

If you can't find a suitable 5 position switch, go for a 3 position plus a 2 position. 3 position is Gen / Shore / Inverter. The 2 position would be to select FWD / AFT for shore power inlet. Turning off entirely can be handled by the main breakers.

I contacted Kraus & Naimer when I needed a replacement and they told me what I needed and where to buy it. I emailed them.

Maybe try a good electric supply house nearby (if there is one).

Thanks for the insight and advice

Lordy, I’m immensely grateful for the help. Will definitely start with contacting Kraus/Naimer ASAP. Grateful, too, to the weather gods who’ve delivered a cool, tho windy, weekend here in the Keys. Hope to have MV Traiteur’s ACs back up in the next few days.

Last edited:
WSe are glad to have you here. Welcome, and be sure to let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom