New Florida anchoring survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow...is that guy out of touch....a waterway too anchored up for second generation water ski instruction? Like the whole world hasn't changed a bit from when we were kids?

With mentality like that...I see the issue as slanted in top officials eyes already.

Did you do the survey?

Norm

Yes, thought it was reasonably well thought out. Hope the process will be objectively done as opposed to already decided and this was just a make you feel like they care.

Ted

Eliminate the derilect boats and the need for all of this goes away.
FWIW, in Englewood FL over the summer, most of the derilect and homesteaders went away. Something happened to move them out. See ya!!!

Yes, thought it was reasonably well thought out. Hope the process will be objectively done as opposed to already decided and this was just a make you feel like they care.

Ted
After 23 in the USCG and my last 2 years in Wash, DC.....that guy from F&W didn't give me warm and fuzzies for transient boaters....just a little too pre-mindset based on his examples.

After 23 in the USCG and my last 2 years in Wash, DC.....that guy from F&W didn't give me warm and fuzzies for transient boaters....just a little too pre-mindset based on his examples.

Agree. 3 of the 4 "problems" stated in the intro were con full or part-time cruisers when I bet the source of concern is really derilect or homesteader boats.

Done, I hope it works out OK for us boaters.
I can understand their point of view too, we often read on boating forums how some A'hole at an anchorage anchored too close, blared loud music, took a Pi$$ over the side etc etc. imagine that going on in your back yard, day after day. not to mention derelict and abandoned boats. As usual a few screw up the works for the rest of us.

Yup, really hoping they aren't stroking us before they screw us.

Ted

>Eliminate the derilect boats and the need for all of this goes away.<

Who decides ?

From the video it is readily apparent where this will end up. Very little about anchoring rights, but much about negatives. I do not like participating in activities with predetermined outcomes. The only way to stop this crap is law suits. That is expensive, and the FWC knows it.This appears to be a charade.:banghead:

>Eliminate the derilect boats and the need for all of this goes away.<

Who decides ?

I did the survey. I think the definition of derelict boats was well defined, but as FF says not defined as to who would remove the boat or how it would be funded. Though those issues wouldn't be part of a survey.

In my opinion the state should approve and regulate proposal 1-4 as defined in the survey. No local government should be able to impose or even be able to ask the FWC for further anchoring restrictions. The 60 day anchoring limitation and derelict boat restrictions if enforced will protect waterfront homeowners especially in light of the fact that most underwater land belongs to the public.

From the video it is readily apparent where this will end up. Very little about anchoring rights, but much about negatives. I do not like participating in activities with predetermined outcomes. The only way to stop this crap is law suits. That is expensive, and the FWC knows it.This appears to be a charade.:banghead:

Don, I agree with you, the video was not pro boaters. However I thought the survey was fair as proposed and didn't reflect the tone of the video.

Anyone know BoatUS's stance on the Florida anchoring debate?

I have seen articles where they are passing info, but haven't seen anything where they are lobbying one way or the other.

Last edited:
Florida has been trying for several years to accommodate the wishes of both boaters and homeowners as it concerns anchoring. Local governments have bent to the wishes of some influential waterfront home owners and unilaterally imposed locally created anchoring regulations. Those restrictions were challenged in court and initially found unlawful.

However there has been much pressure from some waterfront landowners and their local governments to put some form of regulations on the books.

I spent 2 months anchoring at 19 different spots on the east and west coast of FL this summer. Spots included open areas where many boats were anchored and small areas around upscale homes where we were the only boat anchored. I was never challenged by anyone at any of these spots.

If anyone has been challenged about their anchoring spot in FL, please post your experience.

Anyone know BoatUS's stance on the Florida anchoring debate?

I have seen articles where they are passing info, but haven't seen anything where they are lobbying one way or the other.

BoatUS is an advocate for boaters and boating rights. They are in general agreement to open anchoring rights, but to my knowledge have not proposed or supported legislation either way.

However most legislation proposed, probably all, have been restrictive.

Done. We just got back from a trip from Key West to Ft. Pierce. We anchored out the whole way. I agree with other post. Remove the derelicts and the problem goes away. I couldnt believe the amount of derelicts we saw. Some even sunk and not touched in years. The mangroves are full of them. I bet nobody is complaining about them. However, they are concerned about blocking views of rich homeowners as well as not being able to water ski. Thats crazy talk. Also if cities would limit anchoring out, then they can impose a mooring system and take in money for their city. Its all about the rich homeowners views.

:thumb::thumb: it's all about the view of the "rich" homeowners. I got my house and you can't be in my view. It's like on ICW no wake signs on the docks with the wakeboard boats. YOU better not make a wake! MY KIDs only like to jump the wakes I make.

Imagine letting local authorities come up with their own anchoring laws. How would one be able to keep up with all of them and know when you are within that municipalities limits. Just Crazy!

If states have to petition the feds for no-discharge zones, the should have to do the same for no anchoring. Fair is fair.

If states have to petition the feds for no-discharge zones, the should have to do the same for no anchoring. Fair is fair.

Very good point. Let's think about that. States petitioned for their entire coasts, or large sections, to be NDZ's. They offered one-time grants to install pump-outs so that they could claim there were sufficient stations. Once the law was passed, those stations fell into disrepair, and many were never fully embraced by the marine facilities that agreed to take one.

The only effect was that boaters can't legally discharge treated waste. There's already a federal law against discharging untreated waste.

Meanwhile, towns and cities dump thousands of tons of untreated sewage and storm water runoff whenever there's a rainstorm, and runoff from agriculture and industry continue to pollute as before.

The politicians claimed victory over those "evil" boaters who were fouling up our coasts, and the real problems were never addressed.

Yeah. Let's do THAT again.

Remove the derelicts and the problem goes away.Also if cities would limit anchoring out, then they can impose a mooring system and take in money for their city. Its all about the rich homeowners views.

Well that's not quite right. Many of the complaints from waterfront home owners may include that as an argument in their favor but my bet is that for most waterfront home owners there never has been a derelict in front of their house and they've never had a view of one from their house. So removing the derelicts will not stop those advocating anchorage restrictions.

The real problem with derelicts in FL is finding the money to enforce and remove derelict boats. Laws are already well established making it illegal to stow a derelict boat in FL waters: Derelict, Abandoned & At Risk Vessels

Very good point. Let's think about that. States petitioned for their entire coasts, or large sections, to be NDZ's. They offered one-time grants to install pump-outs so that they could claim there were sufficient stations. Once the law was passed, those stations fell into disrepair, and many were never fully embraced by the marine facilities that agreed to take one.

The only effect was that boaters can't legally discharge treated waste. There's already a federal law against discharging untreated waste.

Meanwhile, towns and cities dump thousands of tons of untreated sewage and storm water runoff whenever there's a rainstorm, and runoff from agriculture and industry continue to pollute as before.

The politicians claimed victory over those "evil" boaters who were fouling up our coasts, and the real problems were never addressed.

Yeah. Let's do THAT again.
yet very little of the total water area is actually NDZs.

Plus the compromises proposed in the anchoring law suggest a different outcome than that of an "on" or "off" solution like NDZs.

the point is if at a federal level, it is less likely local governments will wrangle their own positions.

Do you have a link or anything g that shows where states asked for their entire coasts to be NDZs? Like many requests in government...ask for all if you want half.

Last edited:
The issues concerning maintaining certain distances from homes/land bordering existing anchorage areas are hardly the same in Miami as they are in Sarasota or Destin. In our little cove in Key Biscayne (did you hear me say "our"), the occasional very-loud party boat blasting Latin music all day was miserable, true. Our boat was also struck by a run-away sailboat during a nighttime storm (apparently lost its anchor). When more than a half dozen or so large boats were anchored, swing room was limited, as was scope. Racing PWC's sometimes abused the Idle-Only areas, and actually struck a surfacing manatee while I watched. In spite of this, I enjoyed the view of the varied boats off our dock. It was usually a peaceful cove with responsible boaters. If the Police patrol had been more often than weekly, they had plenty of laws on the books to keep it that way. I'll take a well anchored vessel 100 ft. off my dock anytime ILO a badly anchored vessel 300 ft. away. It's been said many times......we have the laws to do what is needed. Enforcement is another question.

Here are some shots of Smuggler's Cove in Key Biscayne, including one day that three other Krogen's kept me company. It's a place surrounded by high-buck homes, and could be a candidate for some wealthy owners that may be trying to get control of their view. I figure the cove is probably less than 600 ft. wide, so if the proximity limit were extended to say, 300 ft., it would eliminate this cove as an anchorage altogether.

Attachments

• DSCN5171.jpg
    DSCN5171.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN5153.jpg
    DSCN5153.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Three Krogens in cove.jpg
    Three Krogens in cove.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
My final comments to them were essentially this: as a frequent cruising visitor to Florida and a one time Florida waterside resident, it is completely unacceptable to essentially cede ownership of the water adjacent to homes and businesses to those self-same owners, beyond riparian rights already titled.

Actually I understand the FWC guy's perspective, he is under pressure from full time residents and tax payers, who far outnumber boaters.

Back
Top Bottom