New castable Garmin fishfinder/depth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone has had one for over a year now...could have been Garmin.

Never did see any reviews on it to make an informed guess.

Greetings,
I think those have been on the market for at least 5 years. Probably NOT Garmin but old(er) technology AFAIK.

Yes you guys are right...looks like several out there. I had not seen them before. Pretty neat.

Thought the might be handy in a tight anchorage where casting in a semi circle towards the shallows might give a good idea of what is there versus motoring over there.

Thats what I was thinking, could come in handy in a real tight spot vs using a dingy and hand held.
Maybe hang it from a drone and dip it in the water...lol.

Actually the Garmin castable appears to be new. And one feature I just realized is they have the Quickdraw maps with 1’ contours that you create and store. You could use this to draw your own bottom maps in anchorages or areas you traverse often. Not just under the boat but cast all around near the edges to really explore and log the boundaries.

Using the quick draw feature you could deploy the dinghy and draw accurate maps into a particularly trick area. And it also may be a useless toy bobbing in waves...lol. But it is cheap enough and I do get the Garmin Supplier discount (35%).

I just ordered one for the hell of it. Ill try the quick draw maps and see if they are usuable. I have two places in mind I think I will go to in my Waverunners to map out for future travel in the Trawler.

The entrance into Caledesi State Park Marina and the entrance to Mullet Key Bayou near Ft Desoto. I keep hearing that larger boats make it in there. Im going to have to see it to believe it...lol.

The entrance into Caledesi State Park Marina and the entrance to Mullet Key Bayou near Ft Desoto. I keep hearing that larger boats make it in there. Im going to have to see it to believe it...lol.

I've been into Caladesi with my center console and it's is pretty deep in the channel. The key would be staying in the channel. It's marked but not all that well.

Back
Top Bottom