New build - Hampton Endurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, it is fine. I’d prefer to have a treatment system so I would know that my effluent is not harmful, but not practical now with the NDZ in our home waters.

Maybe that is my my wife insists we eat organic?

Hey everyone, I'm in Shanghai on the boat. Having a blast as you can see. The boat is looking amazing. I'll have more pictures and posts when I can.

Hey everyone, I'm in Shanghai on the boat. Having a blast as you can see. The boat is looking amazing. I'll have more pictures and posts when I can.

Curious as to how many boats you see in progress while you're there.

Looking forward to seeing the final lazarette "garage" layout.

Did you enjoy the F1 race?

Here is the picture I meant to include! I'm sitting on the water heater, this is in the lazarette.

I will take more pictures on Thursday, as the boat will be the most cleaned up by then.

Attachments

• poleguy.jpg
    poleguy.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 94
what brand water heater is it?

Looking forward to seeing the final lazarette "garage" layout.

Did you enjoy the F1 race?

Yes I can definitely do pictures to show the whole layout. It came out even better than I would have imagined. The company owner personally really invested time to make it as awesome as possible. And now that we are here, we are making some more.

The race was excellent. If you are a fan, you know this particular one was better than most races (which are often processions). You definitely see some aspects that aren't shown on TV. I had never seen how they just park all the cars at the end of the race, sort of next to Parc Ferme. It's like the world's most expensive parking lot.

Pic attached of our view of the grid, and winner Ricciardo.

Attachments

• f1_grid-4149016.jpg
    f1_grid-4149016.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 97
  • f1_ricciardo3-4149480.jpg
    f1_ricciardo3-4149480.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 96
Here is the picture I meant to include! I'm sitting on the water heater, this is in the lazarette.

I will take more pictures on Thursday, as the boat will be the most cleaned up by then.

That is a very happy man!

Alas I'm unable to update the blog from here in China. I'll post some pictures here...

Here we are doing some real time design on the swim ladder latch. I haven't been happy with latch on their previous builds. I put it in the contract that I require a latch system that can be deployed easily by a person in the water.

We worked through several iterations and came up with one that made everyone happy. One of the cool things about HYG is that all the crafts are in-house. So they can manufacture stainless parts literally in minutes.

In this shot at right is Jeff Chen, owner of the company. Together we have designed many such parts.

Attachments

• swimstep.jpg
    swimstep.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 111
Have you seen the movie Downsized?

Could have saved a lot of money going with this "model?"

Attachments

• model.jpg
    model.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 137
The built a shelf for under the sink. And they made a couple of nice teak custom cutting boards that fit over the sink. But we want to have a waste can under the right side of the sink. No problem! Just redesign on the fly and they make all the cabinetry in an hour or two.

Including custom slots to hold the boards, so we don't lose any shelf space.

We are doing things like this all over the boat.

Attachments

• undersink.jpg
    undersink.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 102
Hurry up and get that beauty over here to the PNW! :thumb:

The built a shelf for under the sink. And they made a couple of nice teak custom cutting boards that fit over the sink. But we want to have a waste can under the right side of the sink. No problem! Just redesign on the fly and they make all the cabinetry in an hour or two.

Including custom slots to hold the boards, so we don't lose any shelf space.

We are doing things like this all over the boat.

These types of details will make a big difference in your day to day enjoyment of the boat.

I am struck by the thought that this is why American Tug has come out with their “budget” 36’ boat. No changes, take it as is. The kind of customer service and customization you get getting from Hampton is exceptional, but comes at a cost, even in China with lower labor costs.

Have you seen the movie Downsized?

Could have saved a lot of money going with this "model?"

Did you see how there is very little to protect the props? Unlike Kadey and many others, you simply have to not find the bottom with the Hampton Boats or you spend a small fortune in props and seatorque repairs.

Aren't those models the ones they use at the boat shows?

Did you see how there is very little to protect the props? Unlike Kadey and many others, you simply have to not find the bottom with the Hampton Boats or you spend a small fortune in props and seatorque repairs.

So bob is nice enough to share his build with us and you have to insult his new boat with this irrelevant comment. In the PNW we don’t find bottom with are running gear, we find it with the bow and then we sink. We do have some extreme currents, all the keel in the world isn’t going to help you push through our tidal currents.

Regional differences. The PNW has deep water and rocks. We also have deadheads. None of these are hit with props, we hit those with our bow and hull. I’ve never boated in the Southeast, but my understanding is that there is a lot of skinny water there and so the concerns are a bit different.

Again, what happened to my boat when the PO found a typical PNW rock. No damage to running gear or rudders. Some minor hull repair on the bottom apparently but can’t find any evident of it.
IMG_0102.jpgIMG_0100.jpg

Regional differences. The PNW has deep water and rocks. We also have deadheads. None of these are hit with props, we hit those with our bow and hull. I’ve never boated in the Southeast, but my understanding is that there is a lot of skinny water there and so the concerns are a bit different.

Again, what happened to my boat when the PO found a typical PNW rock. No damage to running gear or rudders. Some minor hull repair on the bottom apparently but can’t find any evident of it.
View attachment 75329View attachment 75330

OK, did he anchor and falling tide left him on the rock or hit it at speed?

There does not appear to be much bottom damage...

Bob,

I am really enjoying your posts and photos at your blog. Thanks for taking me along on a trip I will never experience...much appreciated.

Now hurry back, we are going to have sun and 60 degrees in a few days.

OK, did he anchor and falling tide left him on the rock or hit it at speed?

There does not appear to be much bottom damage...

Remember that we have large tides in this area. He hit probably at around 8-9 knots (he spent fuel more freely than I do). When he hit the rock it was under water. Then the tide went out.

So bob is nice enough to share his build with us and you have to insult his new boat with this irrelevant comment. In the PNW we don’t find bottom with are running gear, we find it with the bow and then we sink. We do have some extreme currents, all the keel in the world isn’t going to help you push through our tidal currents.

No offense taken. All boats are tradeoffs. To the best of my knowledge, Krogens are full displacement. You won't see semi displacements like the Hampton with full prop protection.

But unlike a Krogen if I have the need I can push the boat to 20 kts. That's my tradeoff.

The boat I have the most experience on, a large full displacement trawler, has the most protected prop you could hope for. Yet he hit a rock on the east coast and it required replacement.

Also, with respect to hitting a dead head etc, although I hope not to find out, the Hamptons has several layers of Kevlar in the layup. Two layers from chine to chine (i.e. front 2/3rds of boat), and three layers in the very front of the bow.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

At trawler speed, hitting a deadhead will generally give time enough to bring the throttles back to rest and bring the gears back to neutral. As well, whatever has been hit will most likely be pushed outboard. So unless you hit a telephone pole in its center (as I have done, twice) chances of it coming anywhere near the props are slim.

At higher speeds, all bets are off.

I'm trying!
C'mon Bob, put your back into it, ha!

Love your sense of humor and I bet you are riding a high being at the factory seeing your dream become reality. Have fun over there!

So here is the deal on the railing stanchions. The pictures tell most of the story. There is a groove that gets adhesive (I didn't ask which one but they use quite a few in the overall process).

There is a backing plate which is glassed into the deck, it has threads which the stanchion screws through. And then a big nut with nylon locking is screwed on as well.

I think they could lift the whole boat with these things! I kept this one as a sample.

I also got a sample of the bolts they use to join the decks. I was kind of surprised how small they are, they are like 1/4 inch and about 5" long. But they place them every 6 inches. And I suppose they are really there to hold the decks in place while the 5200 cures.

Attachments

• stanchion-134005.jpg
    stanchion-134005.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 96
  • stanchion-133935.jpg
    stanchion-133935.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 97
That makes sense! They had no "give" and felt secure.

Thanks for digging that bit of information up for me!

That is a pretty impressive piece of hardware. Having ripped out a stanchion on a prior sailboat, I really like those stanchions of yours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom