Old 02-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Bob, wonderful Blog explaining you, boating, and your boat selection. The Hampton sounds wonderful. It would be great to meet up with you after you take delivery someplace on a weekend. Where are you going to keep her?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #22
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We are SOOOOO jealous! Congrats...

Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #23
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
My all time favorite boat is the Ocean Alexander 64 but last year my wife and I spent quite a bit of time inspecting a Hampton 658. The attention to detail on scores of little things (previously ignored by me) is eye opening! What a beautiful boat! I just may have to move the OA 64 to second place!
That's what happened to us. We had just got off a two hour cruise on another make and then happened upon the Endurance 658 at a Trawlerfest. Moved into first place in about 30 minutes. Seems to happen to everyone
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
JustBob, I love this boat. I also take your point re the desirability of the midships owner stateroom, to minimise slap, other noises, and less movement generally. However, I have always thought that in addition to that, ideally the king or Queen bed should be athwartships, rather than head to bow, and wonder what your plans re this are.

My reasoning is that if one ends up in an anchorage with some swell rocking the boat, the movement is then just a gentle head to toe, (rock you to sleep), instead of rolly-polly sideways, which means uncomfortable sleep with frequent involuntary muscle responses, in attempts to stop the roll...
Hi Peter, thanks for the thoughts. My own experience, and it's the same speaking with other PNW boaters, is that our anchorages are seldom "rolly."

For example, I have a friend that has the zero speed stabilizers, but in several years he has never had the need to use them at anchor.

Given that it is a king size bed though, they are practically square. So if I find the scenario you describe, I think we can just rotate our bodies 90 degrees and we'll be good!

JustBob
M/V Mahalo - Blog
Old 02-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Bob, wonderful Blog explaining you, boating, and your boat selection. The Hampton sounds wonderful. It would be great to meet up with you after you take delivery someplace on a weekend. Where are you going to keep her?
Bainbridge Island!
Old 02-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #26
Guru

Hi everyone, there are nine new blog posts since I first posted here. Thank you for viewing and any comments...

M/V Mahalo - Blog

Bob Towery
Old 02-22-2018, 08:48 PM   #27

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
Beautiful boat, Bob. Great idea with the turtles inset in the granite floor. I had a look at the boattest video. Stunning boat. Congrats.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:45 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
One question and a few observations.

The question is what is the air draft of the boat?

Just a few random observations.
-Having the boat's seaworthiness but still a decent cruising speed is great for those wanting trawler capabilities and cruiser capabilities in the same boat.
-5'2" draft is great. On boats this size built for seakeeping, it's so common for draft to creep up and that so lessens the normal usability of the boat.
-We did the loop in a boat basically the same length. Now we had more speed. However, the use of the space in the Endurance 658 is incredible. I love the Portuguese Bridge for a boat like it. The flybridge is a good size too, not like many smaller ones. Love the dual helms, love the galley and the outdoor kitchen on the bridge.
-Sleeping quarters. Even the third stateroom is still very comfortable. Even more, like the crew cabin. Even for a boat not with a crew, there are just those rare times everyone comes and you have comfortable space. Many European boats in this and larger sizes have crew cabins that are unfit for anyone to actually have to spend several nights in.
-So many smart little things. Look at the stairs to the flybridge. Very nice. Good doors to both side decks.

I just think it's an extremely well designed boat.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Hi everyone, there are nine new blog posts since I first posted here. Thank you for viewing and any comments...

M/V Mahalo - Blog

Bob Towery
Nice thanks for sharing Bob.

Question: Saw the toasty floors. Why cooper and not Pex?
Old 02-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego
Quote:
Thanks, Bob! I have read every word on your blog and am really impressed with the build quality. The Hampton 658 has just replaced my all time favorite, the Ocean Alexander 64.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
One question and a few observations.

The question is what is the air draft of the boat?

-Sleeping quarters. Even the third stateroom is still very comfortable. Even more, like the crew cabin. Even for a boat not with a crew, there are just those rare times everyone comes and you have comfortable space. Many European boats in this and larger sizes have crew cabins that are unfit for anyone to actually have to spend several nights in.

-So many smart little things. Look at the stairs to the flybridge. Very nice. Good doors to both side decks.

I just think it's an extremely well designed boat.
B - addressing your question/thoughts:

Airdraft is 19' to top of hardtop, then the antenna mast is another 6' or so with the domes. We don't have many bridges to contend with here in the PNW.

Crew quarters/Laz. On all of the boats I have seen of theirs, this aft section is built out in crew quarters. Quite luxurious as you pointed out. I'd certainly have no problem staying there. We don't have, don't anticipate a load of grandkids. While I'm sure there will be a few times where we could take advantage of the crew qtrs, I opted to build the space out as a working lazarette. I wanted a nice tool bench, lots of storage, nice access to items like the watermaker, and so on. The laz also has a wet locker that we can store fishing items/traps, etc. Can you say Nautical Man Cave?

Stairs/Well designed. In the "Meet Mahalo" section of the blog I mentioned the stairs, how all of them are very much "house like." This became a main selling feature for us. And it seems like every day on various forums I read another instance of a boater being injured on his or her stairs.

If you watched the video, you may have noticed that there are internal stairs from the salon to the crew quarters/engine room. We have that too, but of course leading into the laz. So one doesn't have to go outside the boat in order to do engine checks, fetch items from the laz and so on.

Previous boats have a somewhat cumbersome method of closing off the crew qtrs from the salon, at the top of the stairs. HYG worked with us to instead do a door at the bottom of the stairs which we feel will be great.

Very much appreciate your thoughts/interest! JustBob.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #32

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
Many thanks for letting us follow along on your build. We saw the 658 at the recent Seattle show and were thoroughly impressed, not in the position to afford it yet, but one day...

Also, Scott is a top notch agent!
w8n4sun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #33
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Bob,
It gets better every new blog entry. She’s a beaut!!

Cheers
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Nice thanks for sharing Bob.

Question: Saw the toasty floors. Why cooper and not Pex?
No idea, never thought to ask. Perhaps that is just the way they do it there? Issues?

JustBob
M/V Mahalo - Blog
Old 02-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #35

City: New York
Quote:
No idea, never thought to ask. Perhaps that is just the way they do it there? Issues?

JustBob
M/V Mahalo - Blog
There are different grades of copper, being a builder on Long Island for many years I have come across radiant of all types. During the 50’s 60’ Levittown was born, the houses had radiant copper throughout the first floor, something in the concrete ; probably lime caused across the board failure, over the years most every home had to abandon the radiant in exchange for baseboard etc..
As soon as Pex became available it is the only product that is currently in use for floor heating..
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #36
Guru

I agree with Genecop. The builder should be using Pex through out the vessel for water plumbing. Pex is also better during freezing as it will not break.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #37
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Copper is a better thermal conductor and would be better to transmit the heat to 5e flooring than a plastic thermal insulator like pex.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #38
Guru

City: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Copper is a better thermal conductor and would be better to transmit the heat to 5e flooring than a plastic thermal insulator like pex.
It would be interesting to know what they're using (cement?) to to hold the tubing in place.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:53 PM   #39
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
I love the turtles!!!
Such a neat idea.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:48 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
If that was the case most Alaskans would be using cooper and not Pex. Cooper seems to be yesterday's technology and more expensive.