New boat to us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill V

Vessel Name
Joint Venture
Vessel Make
1978 GlasPly 2800 mid cabin
My BIL (wife's brother) and his wife who we are very close to and have spent a lot of time together have an opportunity to sell their home. Since they know we have considered selling ours as well asked if we would be interested in buying a boat that the 4 of us can live on full time. All of us love boating and have owned boats for years, granted their's have always been boats under 30' in length. What I am looking for are suggestions for boats that have at least two very nice staterooms and room for visiting family members. We are looking at cruising from Alaska to Mexico. Twin engines, and very sea worthy are prime considerations. I particularly like the Tollycrafts and found a 61 I could be interested in but other then that one I am wide open to suggestions. We want to stay at $700k max price. Suggestions?

Welcome!

If you four go Tollycraft you'll have a fine original build boat. Hope the previous owner will have taken good care of her for you. Of course... there are other great brands such as Hatts, Bertram, and the like that also are great builds.

Enjoy your search and have fun!

Art

The big Tollys are nice if you want to go faster. I like the big Hatteras LRCs if you want to go slower.

A $700k budget should be more than adequate. A few brands to consider would be Hatteras, Northern Marine, ocean Alexander or Hatteras. Many others as well.. Suggest you go to the Ft Lauderdale show in Oct and you can see a lot of boats in one place. Consider buying the VIP lounge pass.

I dont have any suggestion for a boat but you might consider starting a youtube channel. I would find it interesting to see how two couples survive living full time on a boat

I dont have any suggestion for a boat but you might consider starting a youtube channel. I would find it interesting to see how two couples survive living full time on a boat

Maybe it could be maned "Cozy"

Just some observations and maybe some recommendations. My wife and I lived aboard a 52' trawler for about three years. Any guests longer than a weekend took up WAY TOO much space on our boat (and some of them were relatives). Any two stateroom boat has one adequate stateroom and one smaller stateroom. The quest head is always tiny. Galleys really only accommodate one person cooking at a time. Four people in the pilothouse while underway is really distracting to the skipper. Moving two households and their clothes and "stuff" onto a two stateroom boat would be a challenge.

Some suggestions:

1. Before jumping into a co-ownership situation talk with a lawyer and think about drafting a LLC or partnership agreement. Investing with relatives can get real sticky when issues come to a boil. Spell out the individual responsibilities and financial obligations. Make sure you have an exit strategy from the partnership when the time comes, at some point in your ownership one of you could be facing a crisis that necessitates quickly moving off the boat. A buy/sell agreement would spell out how one party could leave the agreement and the other party would not necessarily be left hanging.

2. I note you are in the PNW. Moorage for boats up here is generally not transferable to new owners, especially at public marinas. There is virtually no moorage available for boats over 50 feet. You could be on a wait list for years.

3. There are even more restrictions on "live aboard" moorage. Another wait list, of course. Restrictions on how many adults can permanently reside on the boat. Restrictions on the number of cars allowed in the parking lot and the number and type of pets. Some private or condo marinas also restrict live aboards.

Before you jump into a boat make sure you thoroughly investigate how you will share ownership, financial matters, decisions and where you are going to keep the boat when not cruising. Good luck.

I have never consciously looked for a boat with two master staterooms, but from what I recall, until you get past 70 - 80 feet, the two nicest staterooms will be an owner's and a VIP. The owner's is almost always better in every respect: bigger room, bigger bed, bigger head compartment and better located. Unless you plan to periodically swap, someone is going to get the short end of that stick. Unless you are REALLY close, that inequity could become a source of major resentment.

I have never consciously looked for a boat with two master staterooms, but from what I recall, until you get past 70 - 80 feet, the two nicest staterooms will be an owner's and a VIP. The owner's is almost always better in every respect: bigger room, bigger bed, bigger head compartment and better located. Unless you plan to periodically swap, someone is going to get the short end of that stick. Unless you are REALLY close, that inequity could become a source of major resentment.

"Swap" may be the operative word here! LOL I used the term "Cozy" in post #6!! :thumb:

This is not my first day at the party - of life... :lol: :dance:

Hmmm, your budget sounds very realistic for the boat you describe. The problem is that I don't think you are considering a big enough boat.

Two couples, full-time, living, working, cooking, bath and bathing will require much more than 60 feet. Then there are the occasional guest or two to accommodate.

I think you should add about 20 feet to your boat plans and probably double your budget.Or at least expand it to closer to a million.

Good Luck though, keep us posted

pete

Sounds fun!

I posted this link once before -- it's to the blog of a pair of couples who spent over a year doing the Great Loop together on one boat. They had a gas, and stayed friends too :)

They had been friends for 20 years and had sailed together on one couple's boat in the past; but had not shared a boat or done so for anywhere near as much time. In their case the plan was to sell the big boat after the loop trip, which they did. (They had a Cruisers 4450, but obvs that specific choice doesn't apply to you.)

Both couples were "retirement age" so it's not like they were college kids willing to rough it and put up with anything.

Each couple did take trips home, etc. a few times, but the four of them were on the boat the majority of the time. Once nice thing was that one couple could leave (to visit new grandchild, etc.) and the boat was not unattended because the other couple stayed aboard.

Even though you will be in different waters, I thought you might like to take a look. I thought it looked quite congenial.

https://www.captainfatherjohn.com/g...icas-great-loop-adventure-begins-september-21

PS: IIRC at least one of the couples sold their house before leaving (and then moved to a new area upon return).

PPS: I think they did swap cabins (pre-planned) halfway through the trip, just to keep things fair. I had forgotten about that until I read it mentioned above.

Last edited:
Buy 2 boats for $300k each, follow each other around for a few years...

We lived aboard for 3 years. For all the excellent advice in the 10 replies, I think number 12 is the best advice.

I also agree with #12. I have a colleague who rented a 70' houseboat with their best friends for a week. They were all miserable by the end of it. Before for you leap consider renting a boat and living on it for a month to make sure its the right decision.

The four of us had dinner together and discussed the boat idea in length. I read all the responses while we enjoyed a fine dinner and was amazed at many of comments from both my wife and my BIL/SIL's. We have now decided we will charter a 55' boat and spend 2 weeks together to see how it feels for us in general. I'm starting to feel its not a good idea to live together for a year or two on a boat. I had looked at a 61 Tollycraft that did have 2 very nice staterooms and a 3rd for guests but felt some intimidation in operating a boat that long. Between my BIL and myself i would be doing all the docking, anchoring and operation wherever boat skills were needed. Somewhat feel there should be 2 skillful operators on a boat this size.

I think you made a wise decision.

A rental trial sounds like a wise decision. Even then think long and hard about how it will work and what could go wrong for an extended basis.
If you do proceed my observation and experience is many people spend time considering how to form the partnership and how it will work. Don't forget to plan how the partnership dissolves when one or the other wants or needs to get out... thats the hard part that often destroys friendships.

Last edited:
Life is simpler with overnight accommodations just for two (owner and companion) with up to four more not staying overnight just for beverages and meal. ... Can't imagine having five-filled berths overnight with one toilet. ... That's life in a 35-foot boat.

Great idea. I fully endorse companion boating.

You know..It's nice when an original poster gets the drift. You are smart to give it a try before you stick a Ton of money into the venture.

My prediction is that you will end up buddy boating with two nice 35 or 40 footers.

pete

My prediction is that you will end up buddy boating with two nice 35 or 40 footers.

pete

Excellent approach that could add many positives short and long term. Probably able to actually save $ in the process as well as adding a degree of independence. Biggest plus is you now do as much together as desired while maintaining ability to do some on your own.

Excellent approach that could add many positives short and long term. Probably able to actually save $ in the process as well as adding a degree of independence. Biggest plus is you now do as much together as desired while maintaining ability to do some on your own.

And... talk about redundancy; safety X 2 + 2! :speed boat: :speed boat:

If I had your requirements I would look for a 70 - 85 foot trawler/motor yacht and expect to pay $1.4 to $3.0 million.

Top drawer idea. We need more minds like yours.

I would suggest taking a Bare Boat Charter class with all people taking the class together. That way everyone can learn more about what it takes to run a vessel like you are interested in owning. We did this several years ago with Anacortes Yacht Charters in Anacortes and it was invaluable to our success as boaters. Bellingham has some charter companies as well and the GB charter fleet is there too. Having one person being the informed go to on board is potentially leading to dangerous situations. Everyone needs to know how to do the jobs associated with running this vessel. Our class was a great weekend cruise through the San Juan Islands practicing the skill sets needed to be a team on these journeys. Co-ownership is very complicated and fraught with many emotional and financial challenges.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom