New Boat, Long Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkh8911

Hello all,
I*am in the process of purchasing a trawler in Galveston and I live in Tennessee. Still waiting on a survey so I can get it insured. I'm trying to figure out stopping points and fuel stops along the ICW from Galveston to Mobile. The boat is a Gulfstar 43, MK I with twin Perkins 6.354T engines and I believe it has a 200 gallon fuel tank. Prior Owner reports the boat uses 2.2 GPH at cruise. I've been up the Tenn Tom before so I'm familiar with that leg of the journey.*Any information/insight anyone has would be appreciated.
Thanks!

According to Powerboat Guide you have 300 gallon fuel tank(s) unless they were replaced at some time. Have a great trip.

From Galverston, for fuel, you should easily make Shell/Morgan at Fresh Water Bayou. If not, you can top off in Port Arthur. From FWB to the East side of N.O or on to Gulfport.

Not sure of your speed so not sure how many miles you will do a day for recommending stops,

Comodave, that's part of my conundrum. I have a flyer from Gulfstar that says the tank is 200 gallons and other places and people say 300 gallons. The tank is fiberglass and made into the belly of the hull so I don't think it's been changed. Maybe I'll figure it out along the way.

Dimer2, It's a 9 knot boat but I figure I'll average 6 knots, daylight to dusk around 9-10 hours of daylight. Maybe 60 to 65 miles a day, depending on tow traffic?

Me being the overly cautious type, at first I'll probably top it off every time I see a fuel pump.

I would be really surprised if the tank is only 200 gallons in a 43' boat, particularly a cruiser designed for long distance. It is nice that it is a fiberglass tank. Now you just have to be a mathmagican in order to calculate the capacity... if you can get around it you might be able to get enough measurements to calculate if it is 200 or 300. I know that in the 44' Motor Cruiser you can see the rear of the tank, but I don't think you can see much else in order to get a measurement. The tank probably follows the shape of the hull which makes calculations even more difficult. You might post in the Gulfstar section and see if any other owners of the 43 know what the capacity is.

Comodave, that's part of my conundrum. I have a flyer from Gulfstar that says the tank is 200 gallons and other places and people say 300 gallons. The tank is fiberglass and made into the belly of the hull so I don't think it's been changed. Maybe I'll figure it out along the way.

Dimer2, It's a 9 knot boat but I figure I'll average 6 knots, daylight to dusk around 9-10 hours of daylight. Maybe 60 to 65 miles a day, depending on tow traffic?

Me being the overly cautious type, at first I'll probably top it off every time I see a fuel pump.

I will have a look at my paperwork tomorrow and will be able to give you a very close estimate as I pulled all the fuel out and put back in. So I will have a look in my log book. From memory it is approx. 230g But my memory is ....!

Galverston to Sabine Pass Port Authority is around 70 nm (fuel available)
Texas' Safe Harbor Marina | Sabine Pass Port Authority

From there to an anchorage in Lake Charles is only around 37 miles but the next possible stop is Lake Arthur anchorage (no fuel) which is an additional 52 miles.
Lake Arthur to Fresh water bayou (Fuel available) is 35 miles or you can continue to Morgan city which is an additional 35 miles. From there to Houma Municipal dock (no fuel although there is a fuel dock about a nile away) is 67 miles.

From Houma to the East side of the Mississppi is 69 miles. Seabrook marina is an easy fuel stop. Your next fuel would be Gulfport or any of the many area marinas.

Do not get in a hurry and get stuck in the middle of nowhere as there is simply nowhere to 'pull over' and there are bridges and locks which can really slow you down. Many have curfews and will not open when schools buses are running or during rush hours. The Southern Crusing guide is your bible. An AIS is extremely helpful.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I'll offer my camp/dock at Cypremort Point in Vermilion Bay. Good showers and a bed if you want to get off the boat for a while. Fuel available anytime-message me if you are coming through-I'm an hour away.

Last edited:

Hi MKH definitely 300g for my hull #59. Central fiberglass tank fwd eng room bulkhead.
The meter doesn't even start moving till over half full!
Hope this helps.
Have fun with the voyage.

Attachments

• GS 43 Plan.pdf
    703.6 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom