New boat - FIRST BOAT - needs some work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wakeybake

I'm purchasing a 1978 36' Universal Trawler - she was surveyed, and I should be closing this week. Presently I'm in Buffalo, NY, while the boat is in Seattle.

When I have the fine details of the survey, I'll add them to this post, and*I'd love suggestions on how best to proceed with some repairs. They are mostly small and cosmetic.

Also, I'll be in Seattle to do the work, and prep her to cruise to Ketchikan, during the week of 6-12 June. If anyone is interested in doing some work, or stopping by (Delta Marine, I think), let me know. I can pay you with food and a cold beverage! And if anyone in the Seattle area has recommendations for reliable professional help, I'd love to hear.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• luisa_maria_11-0408 valuation for financing.jpg
    luisa_maria_11-0408 valuation for financing.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 152
Welcome aboard and congratulations.

She sure looks good. Love the dark hull.

Just curious. What kind of cosmetic work do you have to do.

I can't be of any help other than to give some perhaps usless advise.

SD

Delta Marine is very expensive.* When on Lake Union we pulled at the Ship Canal *Yard?* So where is the boat moored at?* If you need moorage and I will email you a list of marinas.* Let us know what kind of repairs and might be able to recommend.*

The boat is on land right now at Delta Marine. I guess they kind of have me right now - that's where she was for the sale, and that's where she was hauled. They've offered to do the bottom paint, and waive the haulout fee. Is it worth it? Otherwise I have to have her put back in, and I don't have anyone to move her - as I said, I'm in Buffalo right now.

I don't have the surveyor's full list of to-do's, but off the top of my head, I know she needs:
new zincs,
general maint. on the engine (120hp Lehman),
the genset needs won't start (but looks to be in good shape),
replacement of the port/aft window on the main cabin,
some deck repair on fly bridge (might be best to remove entire deck?),
segregation of the propane tanks from guts of upper helm,
new mast,
repair/replace some delaminated teak inside,
replace main panel (which is already purchased).

There is more, but I can't remember. Thanks for your responses.

Delta Marine is a very good yard but I suspect they require all craftsment working on boats in their yard to be vetted by them and probably billed through Delta so you most likely won't be able to "shop around" for lower priced service.

The boat is flying a Duwamish Yacht Club burgee so I would bet she was moored next door to Delta at the Duwamish YC basin.* About ten years ago we had a DeFever 44 that we kept in a sublet slip at the Duwamish YC and we had some bottom work done at Delta.* I would suggest you have the bottom done by them while she is out of the water.* We were very satisfied with their work but they aren't cheap - probably around $75 to $90 an hour plus materials.* They may have a deal on bottom painting at $XX per foot.

You will have a lot of work ahead of you to get the boat ready for a trip up the inside passage in early June.* You will need to find a marina that will allow you to work on your boat in the slip and to bring in outside help.* Another point - the Duwamish YC (if you are allowed to keep the boat there for a month or so) is a long way from the nearest marine stores and suppliers.*

Good luck.

Hello Wakebay,

If you would like to contact me via private msg, I can comment on moorage at the yacht club next door.

You should definately have Delta do the bottom paint and zincs while she is already out. - do you know what brand/type of bottom paint the PO used? You will want to maintain compatibility.

Also, since the boat has been kept in the river(typical haulout is a 3 yr schedule), you may think about where you will be cruising and select appropriate bottom paint.

I agree with the posts you have received concerning Delta- Super great craftsmen, but pricey.

In the boat repair market right now there are lots of hungry shipwrights, so some of the more extensive work you are contemplating may be better done at a different location. Port Townsend is a hotbed for good carpenters.

Window, deck repair, engine maint. can all be done while in the slip.

good luck and congrats on your trawler

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom