New Bern, NC to Crisfield, MD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea, and at them 2 landings you step off in Portsmouth.... fine during the day, good luck at night. As stated, its a no wake and fairly protected. People anchor there all the time.

I'm thinking there is some sort of hidden message in this post but I'm not getting it. If it's an inside joke, fine. Otherwise, tell it so outsiders will understand it.

I have stopped at both free places in Portsmouth numerous times...both are fine....yes in the city...if you don't like noise...run up to the Hampton anchorages.

Boating season can bring extra activity as well as weekends...off season we have enjoyed both of Portsmouth's free city docks.

Smith Island is a long way north....lots of stops on the western shore...less so to the east but I have more experience on the western shore.

I think the joke is that at high tide, the free docks can be covered a bit...if you have stayed there more than once or twice you would know that.

A quote from active Captain......

"The dock can be under water by a couple of inches when tides are unusually high."

Last edited:
Yes, the docks will be under some water, but the actual city sucks. Good restaurants and bars, but at night there's too much rift raft. Drunk kids and drunk bums make it very uncomfortable for a lot of people.

The landings in Portsmouth are free, I was asking about the one in Norfolk beside Waterside Marina.

Yes, the docks will be under some water, but the actual city sucks. Good restaurants and bars, but at night there's too much rift raft. Drunk kids and drunk bums make it very uncomfortable for a lot of people.

The landings in Portsmouth are free, I was asking about the one in Norfolk beside Waterside Marina.

Don't know about the Norfolk side... so far the locals and homeless have been harmless in Portsmouth.

A lot of places we stop seem to have a homeless population...especially throughout Florida...and the next door park where we are in Ft Pierce for a month. They are usually very polite and friendly. Though people do often say I look like a retired cop so maybe that helps with the friendly atmosphere..:D

We found Portsmouth to be a pleasant enough city except for the noise from the shipyard. There's even a Dollar store with groceries and stuff.

I think you have to realize when cruising that you might find people you find "undesirable" along the way, especially in downtown areas of big cities. For the most part, if you treat them with respect, they will show you the same.

The alternative choice is to only stay at marinas with security gates. Mostly though, if you are visiting, rather than just passing through, the downtown docks and marinas provide a better and more interesting experience.

Another option while traveling Northbound is the Salt Ponds located in Hampton midway between Ft. Monroe and the Back River. There are 2 marinas in the Salt Ponds, both of which have pretty good amenities and these is also a small anchorage just South of the Southall Landings Marina that can hold about 2 boats. (I once saw 3 small boats but it was tight.) the Salt Ponds Marina has fuel available as well.

I have done that trip (at least from Oriental, NC and passing by Crisfield) almost a dozen times. How fast are you planning to cruise? Here is an itinerary if you cruise at 7 kts:

New Bern to Belhavn area- Lots of marinas. Dowry Creek is most popular. Or anchor at beginning of Alligator Pungo Canal.

Belhavn to Coinjock or Elizabeth City to do the Dismal Swamp. I like the Dismal Swamp route and the free docks at Belhavn are welcoming.

Elizabeth City or Coinjock to Portsmouth. Time your passage through the DS locks (check Active Captain for schedule) as well as the Gilmerton Bridge openings. There is an anchorage off of Hospital Point as well as free side ties at one of two pocket harbors in Portsmouth. Lots of marinas as well.

Portsmouth to Crisfield. A rather long leg at 75 NM, but doable at 7 kts. Other stops will take you quite a bit off track.

There are lots of other nice stops and side trips along the way: Oriental, Bath/Washington, Edenton, Deltaville, Reedville.

So you can do it in four days if the weather holds, but a week would let you make some of these additional stops.

David

On the Active Captain site they offer several apps, do you recommend one over another?
I'll be using an iPhone

On the Active Captain site they offer several apps, do you recommend one over another?
I'll be using an iPhone

Might want to consider something with a larger screen if you plan to use it while underway.

Ted

Might want to consider something with a larger screen if you plan to use it while underway.

Ted
I can't imagine navigating by looking at a chart on a telephone. If you can afford a boat you can afford a real chart plotter. The bigger screen, the better.

I can't imagine navigating by looking at a chart on a telephone. If you can afford a boat you can afford a real chart plotter. The bigger screen, the better.

One day, I had my Garmin 740, iPhone AND mini iPad all rolling and it was then I wondered if there was a connection for a 19" monitor so I could see the damn thing

I'll be using an iPhone

Thank you

Maybe borrow a 7" or even better, 10" tablet from somebody for the trip? Maybe to augment whatever might be built in and working on the boat? And/or to augment paper charts or a chart book? So you can decide, later and at your leisure, about built-in electronics?

-Chris

I'll be using an iPhone

I use Navimatics Charts and Tides for iOS. An iPhone can work, but it will be tedious, much better on an iPad. But an iPhone will let you view the Active Captain marina, anchorage and feature data. It will just be tough to find it on that small screen.

David

We have a Raymarine C120 listed on the list of electronics along with a Furuno Radar and GPS
Sea trail and Survey is Wednesday

Low Water in New Bern,NC
Boat survey postponed [emoji19]
Probably for the best,going to be a bit chilly.

You must have been going to Duck Creek :)

Don't miss the LOC hotdog cookout at Northwest Creek Marina this weekend. [emoji41]

You must have been going to Duck Creek :)

Don't miss the LOC hotdog cookout at Northwest Creek Marina this weekend. [emoji41]

LOL! Thank you for the hotdog invite
Not sure when we are going to have the survey probably next week

We are going to need a slip for her for a month or so, do you recommend Northwest Creek?

New Bern,NC to Crisfield,MD

It depends on what you want. If you want quiet, friendly, and cheap, NWCM is for you. It is pretty remote to downtown. However, if you want to be near town, bars, and dining, the two downtown marinas are good too.

NWCM is a great marina filled with great people. You would find a lot of free advice on your upcoming trip because everyone there, just about, has made it before. Still, not knowing any more about your situation and your needs for your time there, I would hate to reco a specific marina for you. TBH, as much as I LOVE NWCM, you might be better off at The New Bern Grand or Bridgepoint since you can partake in all the awesomeness of downtown New Bern on foot until you head out.

(Oh, and tell Rob Eberly I said , HI!)

We've stayed at the New Bern Grand twice and loved it and the city. It was only for a few days each time though.

We checked out the marina that's right on the river (I forget the name) and were not impressed. We didn't stay there, we just walked over to it.

New Bern,NC to Crisfield,MD

We've stayed at the New Bern Grand twice and loved it and the city. It was only for a few days each time though.

We checked out the marina that's right on the river (I forget the name) and were not impressed. We didn't stay there, we just walked over to it.

On the same side of the river is The Galley Store. We have not stayed there, but it has a nice store attached to it and has fuel. It is right out there in the river and could be a rockin night with any wind other than west. Across the Trent River bridge is Bridgepoint. Also, not stayed there, but looks like an okay place. We opted, when we were there, to stay at the Grand. Close to everything, but they have changed ownership, gone condo on some slips, and we don't have a lot of amenities, per se. Great location though.

I would suggest New Bern to Oriental, Oriental to Ocracoke, Ocracoke to Manteo, Manteo to Great Bridge, Great Bridge to Onancock, Onancock to Chrisfield.

I would suggest New Bern to Oriental, Oriental to Ocracoke, Ocracoke to Manteo, Manteo to Great Bridge, Great Bridge to Onancock, Onancock to Chrisfield.

Th SCENIC route. I like it!

Those legs are a max of 60 NM each some 40 so about 9 hrs max some less. Oriental, Ocracoke and Manteo are nice stops. More of a leisure cruise than a delivery. But if you have the time....

David

Heading to New Bern for our survey and sea trail in the morning. We so much appreciate all of the wisdom provided by ya'll!
The boat has been moved to the New Bern Yacht club.
Armed with hours of reading and watching information about systems and all that jazz.
Sure hope she is ready to purchase.

Hey, it's a boat, what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Ted

Back
Top Bottom