New Audio System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lghawk

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
48ft Trawler
Hey Everyone!

As part of my new fitout I am needing to install a new audio system - head unit, amp and speakers.

So, question for you all…. Do I need a marine head unit?

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but….

1. The head unit will be inside the wheel house
2. The wheel house is completely sealed and waterproof - no water at all inside
3. I’m not planning on touching the head unit with wet hands
4. No water whatsoever will get on the unit

So if the above is true - why do I need a marine head unit and amp?

I understand I need marine speakers outside - but in the wheelhouse i’m planning on using normal speakers.

Anyone have any suggestions on this??

Cheers!

Lyndon

This may not be universally or near universally true, but most of the "marine" head units I've seen are not water resistant. They require an enclosure for protection from washdowns, if not the rain.

The ones from major manufacturers are UV- and corrosion- resistant and have tinned wires.

So, if you aren't concerned about moisture or salt air or the plastic (especially white) changing colors and becoming brittle from the sun, you don't necessarily need a marine unit.

I've seen plenty of car radios in boats. I'd have to look, but I think my galley radio is ~10+ years old and not marine. It was installed by 2 or 3 owners ago and the wiring all looked good when I relocated it. I've also seen plenty with corroded connections, knobs and buttons not working quite right, or that have given up the ghost, mostly older ones.

When I've replaced them, I've always used marine units. I just try to avoid non-marine stuff in the boat when there is a good marine solution available. But, that is me.

Last edited:
You don't need a "marine" unit. You really don't need "marine" speakers either, you just need to make sure they're not paper cones, and that their connections are well covered.

Back
Top Bottom