Old 11-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #1

City: Key Largo
Newbie to trawler world wanting to learn.....

Hey guys,
I posted on the welcome board but figured I would expand here.
My wife and I live in Key Largo and we have been boaters our whole lives. We mainly have owned smaller fishing boats and a Sporty Convertible.
Anyway...as we are nearing retirement we are looking to buying a trawler and doing the Island jaunt thing. Figured this would be a good place to hang and learn.
It's just going to be two of us so we don't need anything too big. Plus we want to be economical....you know...that fixed income and all.
Anyway....as I mentioned, I know about boats and realize many of the expenses with them. I owned Florida Keys Marine Services until I had a stroke in 2009 and had to shut business down. During my time I even worked on some trawlers.
I have spent plenty of time in the Bahamas with my fishing boats but never ventured further because of time constraints. In a few years...Lord willing...I won't have that worry.
What I need to learn from you guys is...well....just about everything. Hopefully as I hang here I will garner what size I need, what style, average fuel economy, range, etc...
Thanks guys and any and all insight will be well received
homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Read this, if you haven't already. http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...1-a-14905.html

The posts may help answer some questions or generate more. I envy you, your living in the Keys...
Old 11-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Some say size does not matter but what you do with it

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Are you planning on a live aboard or just long cruise? It will help determine what size boat you may need.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:05 PM   #5

City: Key Largo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Are you planning on a live aboard or just long cruise? It will help determine what size boat you may need.
We plan on living aboard while we cruise around for about a year but after that...go back home to Key Largo and keep it docked somewhere for cruises whenever we want to get away.
We probably want something that we can take across the ocean if we desire to. Not sure though...definitely want to be able to cruise the Caribbean Islands.
Thanks
homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:39 PM   #6

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
Welcome Aboard

It sounds like you will have time to figure out what will work for you in a trawler or cruising boat.

As boat search 101, and others will tell you, the cost differential between a long range coastal cruiser and an open ocean passagemaker is exponential, not additional.

Coastal cruisers are subject to weather, and change plans accordingly, open ocean passagemakers deal with the weather and move on, and must be strong enough to do so. That costs.

Knowing yourselves and your needs, especially hers, is key to both of you being happy with your decision on a boat.

Try many makes and sizes on to see how they feel snd fit your proposed uses. You may want to shop for your most demanding use first, likely the 1 year cruise, as almost any decent trawler can serve your needs for a weekend or a week.

Have fun, and Good Luck.
JohnS
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote