New 65' Coastal Craft Launch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C lectric

Guru
Vessel Name
Island Pride
Vessel Make
Palmer 32'
I got to watch them launch the new, 2nd, 65 ftr. the other day. The last shot shows where it will stay for the next little while as they finish all the interior details and do sea trials.
That frees the shed to get working on #3.

#1 did not have the flybridge enclosure but other wise looks the same.

The tide this time was higher for #2 so less excitement. On the first, #1, the trailer high centred on the too abrupt change from parking lot to the actual ramp. They had to call in another tractor to push it in.
Then as the stern lifted the bow dropped into the gap between the gooseneck frames and put two little dings in the BEAUOOOOTIFUL bow. Not so this time. You can see where the fender is secured this time to hopefully prevent that happening. It did not.

The dings were fixed in due course but I did not get to see the work as , by then I was out playing on my wee vessel.

I get to watch much of the goings on with these boats since my boat is moored opposite them.

Attachments

• IMG_7814.jpg
    IMG_7814.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_7815.jpg
    IMG_7815.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_7816.jpg
    IMG_7816.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_7821.jpg
    IMG_7821.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_7831.jpg
    IMG_7831.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_7832.jpg
    IMG_7832.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_7834.jpg
    IMG_7834.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_7835.jpg
    IMG_7835.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_7842.jpg
    IMG_7842.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_7845.jpg
    IMG_7845.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 158
I got to watch them launch the new, 2nd, 65 ftr...The tide this time was higher for #2 so less excitement.

Though the Mallards don't seem too impressed, it is a nice looking trawler.

Always fun to watch the first splash.
I've seen lots and hardly remember the many that went without a hitch.

My two favorite "NOOOOOOO!!!" moments came courtesy of the same builder on the Fraser River; both 70+ footers.

Episode 1;
Successful launch, moore, cork popping, back slapping, and on shore clapping, then time to cast off for a short move.
Bow away from the dock, move a few feet, boat shudders, lurches and shudders again as a still attached line pulls out an onboard cleat that won't fit through the hawse hole then snaps the line.
The span of time was seconds but the groan-clatter-bang seemed an eternity.

Episode 2;
Successful launch as above.
Fuel truck rolls hose to the boat and begins the big fill.
Time goes by, the smell of diesel spreads, a pump starts and begins transferring diesel from the bilge to the river.

Seems the connection from fill tube to tank wasn't as successful as the launch.

Coastal Craft makes some sweet vessels. Trawlers? No. But certainly would be on the short list if I won a lottery.

Note to self: buy lottery tickets next time you buy fuel.

Friend of mine was involved in the first order of a 65, then dropped out of that to get involved with the second, then...
At first the power was to be 3 Volvo IPS, to get the speed he wanted. Settled on 2 IPS and some weight reduction. Sounded like the design process is pretty complex, with the NA involved in every shift of gear, to keep the weight balanced. Looks like a very pretty boat once all those hurdles overcome.

Beautiful boat but years ago I told my wife "If I EVER start drooling over a boat with a dark color hull, just shoot my dumb arse."

They have used other colours so you may be safe[er].

Beautiful boat but years ago I told my wife "If I EVER start drooling over a boat with a dark color hull, just shoot my dumb arse."
How can you not like this?

Attachments

• Okisollo.jpg
    Okisollo.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 136

True, although the person buying this one will probably be able to afford a humanized polishing rag.

These boats are great for the Northwest. All year boats. Lots of interior space with 360 degree views. Fast.

At 65' boats with a sky bridge, I wonder about stability from a comfort standpoint. The boat is intended to be light without ballast. With all that high weight, I would imagine it would be a bit of a roller coaster.

Does the dinghy store in the back deck area. Northwest boats need a dinghy if you really intend to enjoy the area.

I'm a huge fan of Greg Marshall, the Naval Architect and designer. He's a protege of Bill Garden. I think Coastal Craft's designs are very nice. I can't comment on their build, having never seen one. I hope they have lots of success.

Does the dinghy store in the back deck area. Northwest boats need a dinghy if you really intend to enjoy the area.

The dinghy is "supposed" to go behind the enclosed flybridge, but probably not on this boat since it has no crane installed but does have railing that will get in the way. I agree about the necessity of a dinghy in the PNW (or really all of the pacific coast).

The dinghy is "supposed" to go behind the enclosed flybridge, but probably not on this boat since it has no crane installed but does have railing that will get in the way. I agree about the necessity of a dinghy in the PNW (or really all of the pacific coast).

The design is for it to go on the bridge. If you notice the one on their website, it has a crane there. Otherwise you'd have to go to the swim platform. We totally agree on the dinghy need in the PNW, on the Pacific Coast, and everywhere else. We wouldn't travel without one. Too much fun to be had.

At 65' boats with a sky bridge, I wonder about stability from a comfort standpoint. The boat is intended to be light without ballast. With all that high weight, I would imagine it would be a bit of a roller coaster.

I would share your concerns, especially since it has a relatively narrow beam.

Definitely a nice looking boat though!

I would expect it to have stabilizers and be quite fine with the height.

In terms of design, it carries some similar features to the Pacific Mariner/Westport 65', which is no longer manufactured. Both have a lot of utility for their size and are relatively narrow and designed for good performance. Very similar speeds. Obviously the IPS is a significant departure.

I don't think the CC is a Trawler whatever that is and if it is how does IPS grab the trawler folks? This is not the first boat I have come across with IPS designated as or referred to as a trawler. I don't think the builders consider it a trawler. It is most likely a very nice power craft and will fit in with the multitude of competition at its price tag. The defining issue is probably the aluminum build.

I don't think the CC is a Trawler whatever that is and if it is how does IPS grab the trawler folks? This is not the first boat I have come across with IPS designated as or referred to as a trawler. I don't think the builders consider it a trawler. It is most likely a very nice power craft and will fit in with the multitude of competition at its price tag. The defining issue is probably the aluminum build.

No, the builders do not think of it as a trawler. However, it could be used as many use trawler type boats. As to the IPS the market has accepted in on many boats such as Sabre and Tiara. Sunseeker offers it on their 65' Manhattan.

The Coastal Craft is a very nice boat. I see their sales potential as very limited. However, they don't need huge sales, just one or two here and there. Being distinctive might help in that.

That one I like. The dark hulled ones (blue, black, etc.) show water spots too much.

Spraying the hull with fresh water eliminates water spots. Besides, they won't show up in most photographs, and dark hulls show up better in fog than white ones.

Coastal Craft are quality boats,,, and very expensive, but probably worth it.
A niche market for sure. I considered one of their 40 footers a few years ago when we were immersed in the PNW. Nice boat! But that also coincided with the time when I was looking into Trawlers for the first time. Around that time, IPS was making it's presence known. I'm not a fan. So, ultimately we chose a different path. But I will always reconsider a Coastal Craft when we settle back into Vancouver.

The builders have never, to my knowledge, referred to any of their vessels as a trawler. They are a fast planing boat, in the 25-30 knot range.
I was simply showing an extremely nice boat and its launch. Beautifully and painstakingly finished. And to boot for me, locally built.

They are a semi custom to custom boat.

I don't think I would go for an IPS either. Too much wood experience but there are a lot of the C.C. out there now and people like them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom