New 54 "Kadey Krogen"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't call myself a KK purist so maybe my opinion doesn't qualify. I expect the Summit is a top quality boat and see it has KK trying to break into a different area of the market. As such I would not expect it to be popular with KK purists. So it remains to be seen whether KK can summit with their new venture but the Pandemic situation has to make it challenging to market a new boat and brand by a niche builder.

Did i understand him to say 40 gallons an hour in fuel use?

It's a planing hull, fast, coastal cruiser. They have lots of competition, and I hope do better than others trying to get into that market.

Sorry to be negative but this boat has a design feature that I see on many newer boats, and one that would be a deal-breaker for me: it's the forward-facing seating on the after deck. Who wants to cruise to a beautiful spot in the world and then look at the back of your saloon instead of having aft-facing chairs so that you can take in the sights? Am I the only one who feels this way?

Did i understand him to say 40 gallons an hour in fuel use?

Which part is the surprise? That a 55,000 pound boat burns 40 gallons an hour to do @ 23 knots or that it doesn't burn more than that to do that speed?

I guess I’m a KK purist. The Summit is a very nice boat, but it has NONE of the traditional exterior or interior trade mark feature of KK boats. I’m sure that was the plan, so I would not refer to it as as anything other than a Summit Motor Yacht. The fuel burn of about 160 gallons for a 100 mile run is pocket change if you can afford spending what the Summit cost.

Dawdled, I agree about the lack of aft facing seating.

Last edited:
Lots of numbers. The ones that caught my attention were Cummins QSB 6.7 Liter 542 HP. I'm trying to visualize life expectancy of a 6 cylinder "B" block Cummins at 542 HP. Oh well, if you can afford the boat, I guess you can afford to replace the engines periodically.

Ted

Lots of numbers. The ones that caught my attention were Cummins QSB 6.7 Liter 542 HP. I'm trying to visualize life expectancy of a 6 cylinder "B" block Cummins at 542 HP. Oh well, if you cpan afford the boat, I guess you can afford to replace the engines periodically.

Ted

That's the top rating for the 6.7 QSB. The 480hp versions have been around for a while with a decent reputation. The 550 is probably not as durable, but if not pushed too hard it'll probably be ok. The QSB seems surprisingly durable at high outputs.

That's the top rating for the 6.7 QSB. The 480hp versions have been around for a while with a decent reputation. The 550 is probably not as durable, but if not pushed too hard it'll probably be ok. The QSB seems surprisingly durable at high outputs.
That boat wasn't built for displacement. Fully loaded for cruising, those engines are going to be working really hard to keep the boat on plane. A much better choice would have been the QSC, but clearly the weight would have been an issue. As it was, they probably need to limit the fuel to 750 gallons for weight and trim considerations.

Ted

I was aboard one last year in Anacortes. Lots to like about it if a fast cruiser is desired. I'm not sure if it is necessarily a better boat than the Krogen Express which was sold as a brand a decade or so ago.

Heck if you're going to buy one just don't add the aft bench seat with great storage underneath. Throw a few deck chairs around and store the normal cleaning supplies etc in your wife's large cedar lined closet. :D

That boat wasn't built for displacement. Fully loaded for cruising, those engines are going to be working really hard to keep the boat on plane. A much better choice would have been the QSC, but clearly the weight would have been an issue. As it was, they probably need to limit the fuel to 750 gallons for weight and trim considerations.

Ted

Yeah, I expect the QSB was used for weight concerns. Looking at the Cummins datasheet for the QSB 6.7 550hp, it turns 3300 RPM. So based on the Cummins rules, max continuous is 3000. Looks like in the estimated prop curve, that would be just under 400 hp continuously. That's pushing it pretty hard, but they're willing to give an intermittent rating on the 6.7 (2 hours out of 12 at WOT) as high as 480hp.

Realistically, I figure if you back off a couple hundred RPM from max continuous and do 20 kts instead of 23, the engines will probably hold up fine provided they're maintained meticulously.

A bit misleading. It's a Summit 54. Summit is owned by KK, but it's not really a KK. It's like interchanging Bayliner, Searay, Maxum and Meridian because they are all owned and manufactured by Brunswick.

Not everything made by GM is a Chevy.

Both 54’s, I’ll take Grand Bank 54 with Volvo engines !!

Attachments

• 2A44E5C3-237E-4C79-9C28-85E0BF609E4C.jpg
    2A44E5C3-237E-4C79-9C28-85E0BF609E4C.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 97B41C81-EED9-47A3-A772-E7E96B022DD2.jpg
    97B41C81-EED9-47A3-A772-E7E96B022DD2.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
You would think with a boat that costly they would at least hire a better person to do the video.. listening to that guy huff around waiting for his heart attack to happen was just sad.
:iagree:

Hollywood, I also noticed he kind of looked longingly at the covered “ trophy bikini babe” lounge on the bow. I thought he might need to catch his breath and demonstrate it for the video. The bare feet was also a bummer, ok on your boat but not on any I would want to buy !

Back
Top Bottom