Never had this happen before

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnP

Guru
Vessel Name
V E N T U R E
Vessel Make
1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Today I got a certified letter from The S.C. Dept of Natural Resources--Marine Theft Investigation.

They wanted to know if I was the owner of 36' IG "Venture" They had the hull number the NJ Registration number and year of the boat correct.

They said the boat was abandoned in South Carolina waters and they were going to dispose of it. At my expense.

The only problem is the Venture was only in South Carolina March 30-31 and April 1st 2020. And has been in her home slip in Toms River New Jersey since April 20th 2020.

So on Monday I will call the number they provided and tell them they got the wrong boat. My Venture is not abandoned in South Carolina.

I will let you guys know how this plays out.

John P

Hmmm.... This should be an interesting mystery for us to follow... What a hassle for you!!
My wild theory: Somebody had a 36'-ish something they wanted to dispose of for no cost in SC. They saw your boat, when you were briefly there, and noted the registration and hull numbers and somehow managed to put these numbers on the derelict they were trying to dispose of.

Sounds like maybe a transposed or altered HIN?
You might need a LEO to come and witness the boat and verify your HIN and provide written documentation of it.
I would suggest a courtesy USCG / USPS Vessel Safety Check verifying same but I believe all VSCs have been suspended.

Last edited:
Right, or someone read the HIN incorrectly off the abandoned boat. One digit off and your twin’s boat becomes your boat

i would like to see a picture of the boat in question. Still can't figure how they got my info.

Right, or someone read the HIN incorrectly off the abandoned boat. One digit off and your twin’s boat becomes your boat

I think the "one digit off" theory you and Bacchus have is more plausible than my theory. But then that leaves the fact that both of these boats had/have a presence in SC a remarkable coincidence!!

Last edited:
Hey, contact them, explain the situation, but ask them if you can come down and strip stuff off of it prior to them disposing of it. Might be able to get some useful stuff out of it!:thumb:
Gotta think out of the box!:dance:

Hmmm A spare parts sister ship? Still like to see a picture of it. They did not make many of these boats during the 90's.

Might be a good idea to send a dated picture of your boat in its slip along with the explanation.

KUDOS to the Dept of natural Resources for trying to track down the owners of these derelict vessels. (In typical government fashion, they didn't do it quite right but they are on the right track)

pete

Is your boat documented or state registered? I would guess a simple case of the wrong hull ID number. Probably a simple matter to resolve. Probably a picture and a note from the local USCG affirming the boat with matching serial number is there.

Ted

Original documentation was lapsed by the second owner and I only have a NJ state registration. I don't want to seem difficult but I think the burden of proof is on them. Photographs of the boat in question. HIN Plate-- Transom with Name and hailing port. How about a picture of the nj state registration numbers. Don't see how they could all match. The boat is not there. What is it 750 miles away?

Anyway , I will see how reasonable they are on the phone Monday. Keep you guys posted.

Are you sure it is a valid letter or is it an attempt to get information from you to rip you off? Thieves use some ingenious tricks to steal your personal information.

Are you sure it is a valid letter or is it an attempt to get information from you to rip you off? Thieves use some ingenious tricks to steal your personal information.

Excellent thought!!

Greetings,
Mr.ww. Nigerian Prince perhaps?

iu

I don't want to seem difficult but I think the burden of proof is on them.
It should be, but I wouldn't count on it. We all know that with tax issues, it is often on the citizen to prove that they do not owe the tax, even though the burden of proof OUGHT to be on the government agency trying to assess the tax. That might well be the case here, also.

I will be very interested to find out what you hear on Monday. Good luck!

And you checked after receiving this so that you are 100% sure your boat is in it's slip in NJ?

Scam or someone mistakenly transposed a digit from the hull number or registration on the derelict boat.

I'd get on the phone with them. Even better, get on a live video call with someone there and show them your boat and your hull number.

Today I got a certified letter from The S.C. Dept of Natural Resources--Marine Theft Investigation.

They wanted to know if I was the owner of 36' IG "Venture" They had the hull number the NJ Registration number and year of the boat correct.

They said the boat was abandoned in South Carolina waters and they were going to dispose of it. At my expense.

The only problem is the Venture was only in South Carolina March 30-31 and April 1st 2020. And has been in her home slip in Toms River New Jersey since April 20th 2020.

So on Monday I will call the number they provided and tell them they got the wrong boat. My Venture is not abandoned in South Carolina.

I will let you guys know how this plays out.

John P
Don't call the number provided unless you verify it's really the SC DNR. Could be a scam to get your personal info or they'll tell you you have to pay a fine or an 'administrative fee'. If you have any doubts look them up online and call them on their posted, public number.

Good points about the scam angle. Also I do know where my boat is at all times. We are onboard right now in Barnegat Bay NJ. Already called the number. No answer. Probably try DNR numbers on their website on Monday. Like the idea of video call right from the boat. We will see. Maybe it’s an abandoned Nordhavn and I should go retrieve my property.

IMG_4855 (1).jpg Called the SC DNR today. Spoke to a nice Lady about my case. Here is how it went. I told her our boat was in NJ and not abandoned in SC. She asked me if the boat was in SC in November 2019. Beaufort County to be exact. The dates in question lead me to check out log book. After visiting Beaufort town dock we anchored in Factory Creek. In the afternoon we took the dinghy to Ladys Island Marina and asked to tie there while we when for groceries. Our boat was abandoned for 1.5 hrs that day while we shopped at Publix's. Just so happens the Marine enforcement folks were collecting info on the abandoned boats in Factory Creek at the same time we were ashore. ( there were about a half dozen questionable boats--I guess Venture was included.

The Lady on the phone said the case will be closed- she was sorry it took so long for this case to come up (covid 19 ) issues. Kind of insulting our boat looked like a junk boat, not everybody can have a million dollar boat! Took some pics with a date stamp (home made) this weekend. Not needed they were nice about it.

Thats it I hope.

Interesting that they have the time and resources to go to that much trouble.

I'd follow up on this with a SC state representatives office. It raises a serious question about how 'enforcement' of this is being handled in that area. By what gauge are they considering a boat 'questionable'? And how many boats have been assigned this condition erroneously, leading to unjustifiable expense on both the part of the boat owners and the SC state?

Some states the DNR can and will fine and bill you for disposal costs. Glad you're addressing this odd situation.

Great story, happy ending. Wonder if they were coming to NJ. to dispose of it......

Factory creek is narrow and lined with waterfront homes---It is listed as an anchorage on Active Captain--however maybe a homeowner was tired of some boats being left there and called the cops. We were only off the boat long enough to get groceries and left the anchorage early the next morning. Normally we would have taken a mooring over by the town dock--but they no longer had a courtesy car and we needed supplies. Oh well live and learn.

Abandoned clean boat with a in-date valid NJ registration? Somebody was "just following orders".

They simply identified a group of boats anchored in an area and having no one aboard at the time they checked. Erroneously, they lumped them all together and sent the information in to be followed up on. It got delayed for 9 months and at least one boat in the group was long gone and was never abandoned. You would have thought they would have identified the boats and then returned some time later to see if still there before calling abandoned. Ultimately, no harm, no foul, and I applaud the lady who so easily resolved the problem.

Back
Top Bottom