Old 07-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #21
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Good points about the scam angle. Also I do know where my boat is at all times. We are onboard right now in Barnegat Bay NJ. Already called the number. No answer. Probably try DNR numbers on their website on Monday. Like the idea of video call right from the boat. We will see. Maybe it’s an abandoned Nordhavn and I should go retrieve my property.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #22
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4855 (1).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	105567 Called the SC DNR today. Spoke to a nice Lady about my case. Here is how it went. I told her our boat was in NJ and not abandoned in SC. She asked me if the boat was in SC in November 2019. Beaufort County to be exact. The dates in question lead me to check out log book. After visiting Beaufort town dock we anchored in Factory Creek. In the afternoon we took the dinghy to Ladys Island Marina and asked to tie there while we when for groceries. Our boat was abandoned for 1.5 hrs that day while we shopped at Publix's. Just so happens the Marine enforcement folks were collecting info on the abandoned boats in Factory Creek at the same time we were ashore. ( there were about a half dozen questionable boats--I guess Venture was included.

The Lady on the phone said the case will be closed- she was sorry it took so long for this case to come up (covid 19 ) issues. Kind of insulting our boat looked like a junk boat, not everybody can have a million dollar boat! Took some pics with a date stamp (home made) this weekend. Not needed they were nice about it.

Thats it I hope.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #23

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Interesting that they have the time and resources to go to that much trouble.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #24
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I'd follow up on this with a SC state representatives office. It raises a serious question about how 'enforcement' of this is being handled in that area. By what gauge are they considering a boat 'questionable'? And how many boats have been assigned this condition erroneously, leading to unjustifiable expense on both the part of the boat owners and the SC state?
Old 07-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #25

City: San Diego
Some states the DNR can and will fine and bill you for disposal costs. Glad you're addressing this odd situation.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #26

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Great story, happy ending. Wonder if they were coming to NJ. to dispose of it......
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:05 AM   #27
Guru

Factory creek is narrow and lined with waterfront homes---It is listed as an anchorage on Active Captain--however maybe a homeowner was tired of some boats being left there and called the cops. We were only off the boat long enough to get groceries and left the anchorage early the next morning. Normally we would have taken a mooring over by the town dock--but they no longer had a courtesy car and we needed supplies. Oh well live and learn.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solly View Post
Great story, happy ending. Wonder if they were coming to NJ. to dispose of it......
Good Question?
Old 07-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #29
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Abandoned clean boat with a in-date valid NJ registration? Somebody was "just following orders".
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
They simply identified a group of boats anchored in an area and having no one aboard at the time they checked. Erroneously, they lumped them all together and sent the information in to be followed up on. It got delayed for 9 months and at least one boat in the group was long gone and was never abandoned. You would have thought they would have identified the boats and then returned some time later to see if still there before calling abandoned. Ultimately, no harm, no foul, and I applaud the lady who so easily resolved the problem.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:42 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
They simply identified a group of boats anchored in an area and having no one aboard at the time they checked. Erroneously, they lumped them all together and sent the information in to be followed up on. It got delayed for 9 months and at least one boat in the group was long gone and was never abandoned. You would have thought they would have identified the boats and then returned some time later to see if still there before calling abandoned. Ultimately, no harm, no foul, and I applaud the lady who so easily resolved the problem.

But you can bet that his boat is part of the tally that they will use when showing how bad their "abandoned boat" problem is . . . . and possibly use it for justification for laws like GA's failed law recently.
slowgoesit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Maybe a different way to look at it.

Many states (Georgia as an example) have a long drawn out process for dealing with derelict, abandoned or squatter boats. While they aren't following normal procedures, they are taking a legal proactive approach to tell the owners of these vessels they're being actively being kept track of. Kind of like the police acknowledging people sitting in a car at 3AM in a residential neighborhood. If you're not behaving appropriately, might be time to move somewhere else.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #33
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
How is it that a boat tied up to the Marina's docks could possibly be determined to be abandoned? Something doesn't add up.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #34
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
How is it that a boat tied up to the Marina's docks could possibly be determined to be abandoned? Something doesn't add up.
He did specifically mention being anchored in the creek.
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...7&postcount=22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
...After visiting Beaufort town dock we anchored in Factory Creek. In the afternoon we took the dinghy to Ladys Island Marina and asked to tie there while we when for groceries. Our boat was abandoned for 1.5 hrs that day while we shopped at Publix's.
I'd still recommend an inquiry to the SC state representative's office.

https://www.beaufortcountysc.gov/leg...entatives.html

Because this is very likely not a one-off mistake. Someone else out there is going to miss this error, and end up with a bureaucratic mess on their hands.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #35
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
I'd put in a claim for salvage rights.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:37 AM   #36
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Remember how the LEO used to enforce the one hour parking restrictions? Cop would come by on a 3-wheel motor cycle and a chalk stick? The cop had a 1 hour path. When he came back by and the car was still there, presto a parking ticket.
Maybe they should be start chalk marking boats too. LOL
Old 07-28-2020, 11:41 AM   #37
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Wait a minute. Wasn’t Ted‘s boat anchored in Factory Creek sometime in November 2019?
It could’ve been an honest mistake!

Imagine yourself as a water cop coming up on an anchorage, blinded by Ted’s gleaming Cherubini parked in the middle. It easy to understand how the surrounding vessels could be mistaken for derelicts.

Lesson: Don’t anchor near Ted!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Wait a minute. Wasn’t Ted‘s boat anchored in Factory Creek sometime in November 2019?
It could’ve been an honest mistake!

Imagine yourself as a water cop coming up on an anchorage, blinded by Ted’s gleaming Cherubini parked in the middle. It easy to understand how the surrounding vessels could be mistaken for derelicts.

Lesson: Don’t anchor near Ted!
Did I tell you I've been house shopping in Longboat Key?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:32 AM   #39
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I tend to agree with the folks who see this as a (relatively) good thing. Some water cop came by a known anchorage for derelicts and wrote down the identifying information for any which had no-one aboard. That information was forwarded up the chain for further action. The next step, albeit delayed by COVID, was to send a letter formally asking the owner to remove the boat or pay removal costs.

I'm not even sure I fault the water cop on scene. Is it his/her job to determine which is a "derelict" and which isn't? I like the "just the facts ma'am" approach.

If every jurisdiction used this process, there would be very little derelict boat problem. I'd rather have states doing this than prohibiting or charging for anchoring.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #40
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I tend to agree with the folks who see this as a (relatively) good thing. Some water cop came by a known anchorage for derelicts and wrote down the identifying information for any which had no-one aboard. That information was forwarded up the chain for further action. The next step, albeit delayed by COVID, was to send a letter formally asking the owner to remove the boat or pay removal costs.

I'm not even sure I fault the water cop on scene. Is it his/her job to determine which is a "derelict" and which isn't? I like the "just the facts ma'am" approach.

If every jurisdiction used this process, there would be very little derelict boat problem. I'd rather have states doing this than prohibiting or charging for anchoring.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote