Old 11-21-2020, 01:08 AM   #1
cdb
Veteran Member

City: Sarasota, FL
Vessel Name: Pearl
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 426 Classico Sedan
Negative experience having boat painted and windows replaced

For the last 15 months I have been living a nightmare after contracting a boat painting company in Florida's west to repaint my boat (Awlcraft) and replace the windows on my 1999 Ocean Alexander 426 Classico sedan. Both the paint job and the window replacement was a disaster. After 10 months and a lot of excuses it still was not finished and my boat was trashed. Finally, I gave up, brought in outside professionals to evaluate the situation. They were horrified at what they found and recommended getting the boat out of the yard fast. We reassembled the boat enough to take it to another yard. The new yard has had to completely strip the boat and start over. Of course this is going to cost a lot more than the original work since we had to remove most of the recent paint, all of the hardware, instruments and electronics. It should be completed sometime in January. I have a detailed accounting of the experience and and a Youtube video showing all the issues. I have posted it so it comes up very close to the businesses website. I have an action pending that I hope gets settled but I am not optimistic it will be. I wish he would just pay me back so I can move on with my life.

I have been boating for 50 years and have never had a boat painted before or a boat yard experience so negative.
My question is, is it appropriate for me to advise my fellow TF members of this experience and publish the details, the video and the name of the company? I wish I knew what I was getting into. I suspect others may like some warning too.

cdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:52 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Were it me, I would first negotiate a settlement. Going public before doing that could put an an outcome satisfactory to you in jeopardy. Even after part or full reimbursement I would still be quite circumspect. Your settlement may include some confidentiality provisions, so "shouting from the rooftops" may not be possible after settlement either.

I think your objective should be to get as much of your money back as you can. If you are using a lawyer to assist in the settlement, take their advice on anything you would like to say about the whole experience in the public domain.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:56 AM   #3
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Were it me, I would first negotiate a settlement. Going public before doing that could put an an outcome satisfactory to you in jeopardy. Even after part or full reimbursement I would still be quite circumspect. Your settlement may include some confidentiality provisions, so "shouting from the rooftops" may not be possible after settlement either.

I think your objective should be to get as much of your money back as you can. If you are using a lawyer to assist in the settlement, take their advice on anything you would like to say about the whole experience in the public domain.
+1.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:03 AM   #4
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post

+1.
+ 2
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:05 AM   #5
cdb
Veteran Member

Immediately after the experts came out and inspected the boat, my attorney had a videographer come out and document the issues on the boat and then interviewed me and the expert.. The resulting detailed video was put into a Youtube and sent privately to the painting company by the attorney along with a complaint in an effort to induce a settlement before going to court. There was no response after 30 days so my attorney posted the Youtube publicly on the net and also on the painting company's Facebook page. The painter still did not respond. He did shut down this review function on his Facebook page, so the video no longer appears there. So it was actually my attorney who created and posted the video Since the video is actually of the condition of the boat and is factual, there is little fear in doing so.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #6
Guru

City: Kentucky
If your attorney already posted the video on Youtube, I see no harm in posting the link here. It is obviously your attorney's plan to get the widest possible dissemination of the information as possible. I can't speak to whether the widest possible dissemination at this time is the best course of action, but your attorney seems to think so. . . . . So, what is the link?
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #7
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
When the yard allowed my boat to fall off the jacks, upon reaching a settlement, I was sworn to secrecy.
The amazing part was, mine was the first boat that was determined to be a "constructive loss"
You want a great paint job, go to a Hinkley yard and bring your check book.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #8
cdb
Veteran Member

Yes. There a lot of great yards on the east coast of FL. They were too far to just drop by on a weekly basis and big money. In retrospect I would probably would have been better off going there, but like I said, this was my first paint job. And probably my last. The best is probably is Luu https://www.luumarine.com. I have seen their work and it is spectacular.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Painting a boat is a HUGE undertaking. Every time I think about it, it gets scary just finding the right people to do the work and keep a reasonable budget in place.

Overall, sure beats gel coat, but it's pretty simple to add gel coat with excellent results.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #10
Guru

That is why I painted our boat. That way if it got screwed up I knew who to blame.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #11
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
That's kinda my though... do it myself, however, I just don't want to spend the time anymore. Too much playing to do.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #12
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
That's kinda my though... do it myself, however, I just don't want to spend the time anymore. Too much playing to do.
I could work on my naturally aspirated Lugger but, my Cummins electronic I know nothing about it other than change the oil, filters and zincs and the impeller and belts. I do carry a spare alternator on board too.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #13
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 28 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Forget the lawyer - $ - depending on how high the small claims court in your area goes. In Canada as of Jan 2020, the top limit is $35,000. Lets say you agreed to $42,000 and the upper limit is $35,000 - forget the remaining $7,000 and go for the $35,000. This will be cheaper than using a lawyer possibly.

You've already done the smart thing bring in the pro, you now have an expert witness. Small Claims might be your answer depending on limits, etc.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:31 PM   #14

City: Here and there
Florida is $8,000 for small claims. Also, in Florida they might be able to recover atty. fees.
Porgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #15
cdb
Veteran Member

Small claims is not an option. $8,000 is the max. By the time I am done, with what I already paid and what I will have to pay to repair and repaint, I will be into 6 figures plus legal fees. Legal fees are not recoverable.

I have decided not to to put the specific information about the painter or the video or the website on TF because I would not be able to remove it like i can now if we settle. If we don't settle, all bets are off and I will post everywhere. If someone needs specific information because they are considering a paint job just PM me.

"Pearl" will be beautiful again, and will probably be my last boat.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #16
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
It’s a puzzle how things could go so wrong, but they do. I was not present during a bottom job in a Florida yard some years ago when they didn’t even sand the surface before clumping on the paint. Two years later, the next bottom job took 100 days on the hard to clean up the consequences of that mess.

I’m really sorry for your pain, but since I’m also on the west coast of FL, I’d rather know who to avoid. Meanwhile, I’ll look for your Youtube video.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:13 PM   #17
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
CDB first, sorry for your problems. This was supposed to be fun and here you are with a massive pita.

Perhaps on a separate thread "lessons learned having a boat painted" or something, would be helpful to describe what you'd do differently. No names, but potholes along the way, etc. I'm having my boat painted top to bottom along with a significant amount of fiberglass repair to restore old holes for electronics and such. Although being woefully behind schedule, it's going pretty well. I've read many threads and see it's a popular topic as many people think about having their boat painted but few do.

Not saying to divulge any sensitive information, just a lessons learned conversation if you're up to it.

Best success.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Working on my boat is my play time. I enjoy the work. Usually when I get it all done I end up selling the boat and starting over. But this one may be the last one since I can’t do as much as I used to be able to do.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #19
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
If your attorney already posted the video on Youtube, I see no harm in posting the link here. It is obviously your attorney's plan to get the widest possible dissemination of the information as possible. I can't speak to whether the widest possible dissemination at this time is the best course of action, but your attorney seems to think so. . . . . So, what is the link?
He probably posted it as private - only those with the link can view it.

Tags
review of paint job