Need WA suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both Portland and Washington are also on our radar for possible retirement spots in the next couple of years.

I always hear that's it hard to get a slip in the PWN. Is this true for all size boats or just slips above a certain size?

While not a trawler, or even a powerboat, LOL, this month I see myself lusting over a 22' Marshall catboat (LOA 22'2", 10'2" beam, 20 h.p. Yanmar). :blush:

Kinda little, but lots of fun.

15492-albums680-picture5928.jpg

Jim

Take a look at Quartermaster marina or Quartermaster Yacht club. They take liveaboards and you can shop there at mid sound. Vashon Island is close to Tacoma, Gig Harbor, Des Moinse and quite a few others. In any case you will find it pricey, but a number of deals are to be had, you just need to be here to get it quickly.
my 2 cents.

Second Port Orchard, moorage is available and cheap. A water view home will be affordable by California standards. It is, though, in the shadow of the Naval Shipyard, and you will always know when its starting and quitting time. And then there's the town clock, which will keep you aware of the time all day long. Anyhow, there are a lot of places along the peninsula that might be suitable. ... Costco and Trader Joe's are in Silverdale...

Hi,
Lots of thought provoking suggestions in locale, weather, facilities and destinations.
Opens up the entire area. BTW, I am not looking for a "liberal" area, I just want to be left alone.
For the time being, sticking around the SF Bay and may take a trip up without the boat to sniff around, from the Columbia River up to Blaine and the little US point of land, Point Roberts? Sequim, liveaboard, keep boat on trailer or elsewhere from mu casita, lots of ideas presented about boating and living, many thanks for the input!
Cheers
Stuart

Well, I come to the story of the batter in the World Series, bottom ninth inning, bases loaded, tie score, 7th game. Ball, strike, strike, ball, ball. Full count. The guy had not even swung the bat. Last pitch a ball, guy from third walked in, game over, no swings.
Point being the guy did nothing and everything. Ditto me. Decided to stay where I am.
This has been a wonderful journey with all of you, looked at maybe 1000 houses online from Portland floating homes to Canadian border. Fantastic area and many thanks and so much appreciation for contributing life and nautical considerations.
One factor was the climate, 100 more days of rain than where I live, 100 fewer days of sun. I love the rain and mist, but not sure how I would adjust. Lots of friends here and activities, so decided to stay put.

Boat about to go into my Sausalito slip for the first time since purchase in Aug, (don't ask), so looking forward to clear warm winter days on SF Bay. Winter is possibly the best time for powerboats, between the storms, so it is a delight. Maybe a trailer trip w the boat to PNW during the summer for a month, who knows.
Thank you all for what has been a great trip, and thanks to the forum for the terrific participants who shared so kindly
Good health and happiness, Stuart

Stuart, what a great why to close your request thread. A decision well considered and a genuine thank you to the forum!

Now, if I may, toss out a suggestion. The PNW is such a fantastic cruising ground. Your boat is trailerable and you have the experience. Consider trailering her to Anacortes or Bellingham. Launch and cruise to SE Ak. Put her on the hard for the winter then reverse course. Between say Anacortes and Kethcikan two cruising season will only scratch the surface.

I'm not sure the weather in Sausalito is any better than much of the PNW :). If you want sun, go across the bay to Alameda.

I live in Santa Rosa, boat in Sausalito, so I know what you mean, Sausalito in the summer its own world, that's why I head to Angel Island. BTW, once did a New Year's Day cruise around Alameda and stopped at all the little cool Yacht Clubs, loved them. But, we drank at each one too, I was a passenger, had to wait before driving home, but what a tour around the island, pretty cool..
And, now Portage Bay has me going to Alaska! Who knows, might find a first mate up for an adventure and head north! :)

Even,

Learn from the whales.

They go south for the winter, then north for the summer.

Learn from the whales.

That's what I've been doing for the last 14 years.

Saludos, Gone in Baja (for the winter!)

I live in Napa, about like Santa Rosa. Mark Twain famously said, "the coldest winter I ever spent was the summer in San Francisco" - which could have included Sausalito. I used to keep the sailboat in Alameda, after a cold days sailing you'd head downwind and it would get warmer all the way up the estuary, you were dry and smiling by the time you tied up!

I have come to enjoy the coolness of the summer in Anacortes and Victoria though. Trouble up there is, when it gets into the upper 70s it is quite humid and starts feeling a little like the SE in winter. There is nothing like the SE in summer.

Used to spend 4 mos winters in Baja, Juncalito, next to Puerto Escondido, and, yes, visited the whales. And the islands without anyone on them....
For a powerboat in SF Bay, I like the winters between the storms, and April and Oct a delight....

Landed! Returning to this thread, which reads live a novel with unexpected turns, so I continue with the Epilogue of this story and will start others.

I am selling my house in Santa Rosa, CA, and buying a house in Agnew, WA, half way between Sequim and Port Angeles. John Wayne Marina about 10 miles away.

Sold my boat, getting packed and prepared to move, will be looking for another, may have found it in WA. My view is Straits of Juan de Fuca, and shimmering lights of Victoria at night. Hope to run across some of you, as I will be putting around the area. Cheers
Stuart

Attachments

• IMG_8710.JPG
    IMG_8710.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8712.JPG
    IMG_8712.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8753.JPG
    IMG_8753.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 36
We were just at Sequim Bay State Park last week and stopped at John Wayne Marina for fuel ($1.71/gallon plus tax). It's a great area, with the Olympic trail nearby if you like hiking and biking. Protection Island - National Wildlife Refuge is also nearby. We were lucky to spot a Golden Eagle on the beach when we drifted by.

Congrats!

I look forward to all the activities and beauty, and cheap fuel, wow! And maybe meeting some of you all in my travels as this will be my home port....
Cheers
Stuart

I live in Napa, about like Santa Rosa. Mark Twain famously said, "the coldest winter I ever spent was the summer in San Francisco" - which could have included Sausalito.

Widely believed, but completely apocryphal. One of many things he never said.
Bill Butler
Tamalpais HS
Class of 61

Just realized this was an old thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom