Old 09-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #41

City: Florida
Take a look at MOJO: www.mvmojo.com. She'll be well within your budget. PM me if interested. I'm a Louisiana boy too!

MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #42

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
dockage near Baton Rouge

While looking in Madisonville, take a look at Blood River Marina nearby Springfield and Pontchatoula. Nice covered slips. Had my boat there for a while and still have freinds with boats there. Well protected as well.

About choice of boats, think smaller than larger!

CCC
p.s. See you at Steve Willet's

charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:04 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Vessel Name: Miss Adventure
Vessel Model: DeFever 49 CMY
+10 for mentioning your Parin (Parrain), takes me back in time.
Not sure how small (relatively speaking) you want to go but you may want to give DeFever 44's and 49 CMY's (Cockpit Motor Yacht) a look. The engine room will spoil you for most others in that size range and many larger boats too. Full width master. Hard top over huge aft deck and plenty of room on the fly bridge. There are larger and faster DeFevers as well. Full disclosure, I may be a little biased since I own one, but we've been happy with it for the four years we've had it.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #44
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tete Dure View Post
On order. Looking forward to getting it in the mail.

Betrams are nice. Really, if it has a wood interior and a nice galley. I'm happy. It will take me some time to narrow down what I want especially since I haven't been on any of them yet.

We sold our 42 Catalina sailboat last year and started looking fir our perfect Bahamas motor cruiser. We ended up with a Bertram 42 motor yacht that a previous owner had redone the interior of in teak.

The quality of everything in it it and especially exploring the guts, made it an easy choice. One well built boat.
The amount of room in a 42 foot power boat as opposed to a 42 foot sailboat, was dramatic.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Baton Rouge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
You related to Jerry? Thatís nice. Iíll be there.

His dad was my great uncle. Cool, it would be nice meeting you.
Tete Dure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:31 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
When we started looking for a boat I spent a lot of time searching online. My usual suspects were boats.com, boattrader.com, boatingbay.com, powerboatlistings.com, and their FSBO subsite, yachtworld.com, has less low end boats, also search craigslist in boat heavy markets like Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville, Pensacola, etc.
Many searches and further research on possible contenders gave us a long list of boats we did not want, and a shorter one of makes and models to go look at in person to refine our guesses as to what would suit us.
Welcome aboard, and good luck with the learning experience. JohnS

Thanks John. Really good tip on looking at Craigslist. Would have never have thought about that.

I've kind of narrowed it down but, like you said, I need to start getting on boats and getting a feel for them.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
Take a look at MOJO: www.mvmojo.com. She'll be well within your budget. PM me if interested. I'm a Louisiana boy too!

Nice looking boat. Once I find a place to dock, I just might do that.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
While looking in Madisonville, take a look at Blood River Marina nearby Springfield and Pontchatoula. Nice covered slips. Had my boat there for a while and still have freinds with boats there. Well protected as well.

About choice of boats, think smaller than larger!

CCC
p.s. See you at Steve Willet's
I don't mind a smaller boat. Just don't want to be claustrophobic. I had a pretty big room on a drilling rig but after awhile the walls would close in. Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatfever View Post
+10 for mentioning your Parin (Parrain), takes me back in time.
Not sure how small (relatively speaking) you want to go but you may want to give DeFever 44's and 49 CMY's (Cockpit Motor Yacht) a look. The engine room will spoil you for most others in that size range and many larger boats too. Full width master. Hard top over huge aft deck and plenty of room on the fly bridge. There are larger and faster DeFevers as well. Full disclosure, I may be a little biased since I own one, but we've been happy with it for the four years we've had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
We sold our 42 Catalina sailboat last year and started looking fir our perfect Bahamas motor cruiser. We ended up with a Bertram 42 motor yacht that a previous owner had redone the interior of in teak.

The quality of everything in it it and especially exploring the guts, made it an easy choice. One well built boat.
The amount of room in a 42 foot power boat as opposed to a 42 foot sailboat, was dramatic.
I don't mind going smaller. The most room I need is in the galley and closets for hanging clothes.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #49
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Hey hard head...Haven’t been on the site for a while and came across your post while looking around. Have you made any progress? We live in Madisonville and keep our boat at Marina Beau Chene.
My hubby spent his summers in Grand Isle as a kid/teen. He owns a home in Larose (know anybody down there looking to buy a house? It’s for sale! Lol)

I also recommend Pud’n and Jerry Waller. They are good friends of ours and helped us buy both of our boats.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: Cruisers Yachts SS 5000
I second everything she said. ��
StarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Hey hard head...Havenít been on the site for a while and came across your post while looking around. Have you made any progress? We live in Madisonville and keep our boat at Marina Beau Chene.
My hubby spent his summers in Grand Isle as a kid/teen. He owns a home in Larose (know anybody down there looking to buy a house? Itís for sale! Lol)

I also recommend Pudín and Jerry Waller. They are good friends of ours and helped us buy both of our boats.

Man I have been pretty busy at work and when I get home, I don't want to look at any type of screens.

I love Grand Isle. Grew up there in the summers working at my Paw Paw's marina and shrimp shed.

I've thought about Madisonville but I think the commute would kill me. Might have to wait a bit.

Thanks for the tips. Now back to work. My boss (me) is a slave driver.