Old 02-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Why is full displacement a requirement for you? I'm only asking because when I was looking, I too was in the hull-speed-only camp. My theory was that I wanted to go farther and more comfortably, and was willing to go slower to achieve that.

I ended up with what you see on the left, a 36' Prairie. It's technically a semi-displacement. It can go above hull speed, but only at great cost in fuel. I have no intention of doing so very often, and could easily live without it. My point is that I'm glad I didn't limit my search to only FD hulls.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #22
Guru

City: Pensacola
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Hey my first post suggested that us tweeners are so bad....
Lol you're evil. :-)
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
You should be. Good list.

Except for the Sundowner and I don't know about the Prarie.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Old 02-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #25

City: Maumelle, AR
Vessel Name: Missing Link
Vessel Model: 1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
The reason for wanting to consider a FD hull is somewhat technical. The short of it is that a Full Displacement hull speed can be attained with a small engine running at its most efficient speed VS a SD hull, such as the one I have with a 200 HP Perkins, will run at or just over hull speed at a failry low RPM which is not the optimum for that engine. This explanation is simple to say the least.
bikeandboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #26
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandboat View Post
The reason for wanting to consider a FD hull is somewhat technical. The short of it is that a Full Displacement hull speed can be attained with a small engine running at its most efficient speed VS a SD hull, such as the one I have with a 200 HP Perkins, will run at or just over hull speed at a failry low RPM which is not the optimum for that engine. This explanation is simple to say the least.
Most of this crowd is way past that level...that's why some of us are saying a semi at displacement speeds is going to be very economical, very close to a displacement hull economy, but you have way more options.

My 40 is way bigger and heavier than your 34 but only has a 120 instead of 200hp...most of the time I wish it were a 75-80hp engine but even that little diff in economy isn't going to amount to much if the rest of the boat isn't a good fit for me in the long run.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Think out side the box.

Bought my Cherubini in January with a Cummins C 450. Hull is somewhere between SD and SP. Purchased a 4 cylinder John Deere (107-137 HP) and will do the swap this summer. The motor is almost an even dollar swap as the one coming out is low hours, still made, and in demand. Will use same transmission and shaft. Will need to change wheel and plumbing. Lot easier to put a smaller motor where a bigger one was.

Here is my point, you may find a fuel guzzling SD that is a hard sell. Save enough on the purchase to repower.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #28
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
great list.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #29
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Most of this crowd is way past that level...that's why some of us are saying a semi at displacement speeds is going to be very economical, very close to a displacement hull economy, but you have way more options.

My 40 is way bigger and heavier than your 34 but only has a 120 instead of 200hp...most of the time I wish it were a 75-80hp engine but even that little diff in economy isn't going to amount to much if the rest of the boat isn't a good fit for me in the long run.
and that's (only 120 hp) is one of the reasons your boat is so economical at displacement speeds.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
So true. Most mid-sized boats have two engines or at least one engine totaling 160 to 400+ horsepower. Less than 100 is needed for hull speed. I've got 80 and it's plenty to push 14 tons.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #31
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
That is a good reason but a better one is the FD's ability to carry weight (fuel stores) and its superior seakeeping not only in following conditions but in head seas.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #32

City: Maumelle, AR
Vessel Name: Missing Link
Vessel Model: 1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
That is a good reason but a better one is the FD's ability to carry weight (fuel stores) and its superior seakeeping not only in following conditions but in head seas.
I very much agree. When explaining why I wanted a FD in place of the SD I own I tried to keep it more simple than not. Thanks for bring up these points.
bikeandboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: FREEDOM
Vessel Model: 40 BLUEWATER PILOTHOUSE TRAWLER
Here's my 40' Bluewater Pilothouse Trawler. FD 9 knot max with 428 gallons of fuel....it's a long range tank. Currently in full restoration mode with re-power in the future. Looked for a long time until I came across her.
Attached Thumbnails
FREEDOM II.JPG  
Capt. JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 PM   #34
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. JB View Post
Here's my 40' Bluewater Pilothouse Trawler. FD 9 knot max with 428 gallons of fuel....it's a long range tank. Currently in full restoration mode with re-power in the future. Looked for a long time until I came across her.
More pics!!!!!!!!!!Please!!!!!!!!!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I will get some more next week. I've totally changed the layout, started fiber-glassing the decks, and the list goes on...I'll post my progress.

-Josh
Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #36

City: Gig Harbor WA
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Not to be critical of different hull types... but you need to experience the unique feel and motion of a heavy-built FD boat working through head seas or riding on top a following sea. I've owned semi-displacement boats and now a Willard 40 from the seventies. With her tanks full (350 water, 600 fuel) and single Lehman turning at 1500 rpm, Northstar shoulders along at 7+ knots in comfort and considerable economy (1.5gal/hr). For most recreational boating, the difference between SD and FD is academic -- until the wind picks up and seas turn nasty, that is when I'm grateful for the extra heft that comes as "standard equipment" on a full displacement boat.
Willard 40
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #37
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Wow! I am amazed-Healhustler. Awaiting Eric's complete explanation on what a FD and SD hull conforms to. I would guess that the vast majority of the boats you named have the same bottom configuration or very close, to our 27 Marben which Eric has classified as SD. Following his classification, I did in deed acquire a "New Build" Marben production sheet that clearly identified the hull as a SD. confirming Eric. So having said, I would believe that a hull that BikeandBoat seeks has to be modeled on a North Sea hull, Alaska classic Halibut schooner, early Alaskan troller, or a motor sailer sans the mast and gear. or accept a larger boat in a SD and as suggested-slow it down. That is what we do. I can accept being a SD and run it as a FD. Just saying.
Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #38
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. JB View Post
Sure love that Bluewater. And is that a real.Portuguese Bridge? Looks like a heavy vessel. More pics!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Yes, yes (33,000 lb displacement), and I will definitely get more pics...and to comment on what NWboater stated, the stability of a FD is very noticeably on those rough days. The wife and kids feel extremely safe and this is key.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:30 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Great list, thanks