Old 05-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Glendinning Synchronizer users

Will a Glendinning Synchronizer allow you to have both throttles at idle, engage the synchronizer, and control the throttles with just the master or must you advance the throttles before engaging the synchronizer? Ideally, I would like to set it up so the slave throttle does not have to be touched at all after leaving the dock. The master would control both through the entire range from idle on up. Can it be set up that way?

Thanks.

John
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #2

City: Northern Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Carver 440, 6CTA8.3's
My manual says advance both throttles slightly above idle.
Engage sync.
Advance slave to full throttle.
Control rpm with master.

Manuals can be found on their web site
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Ursa Major
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54
As bluebyu says you should advance the slave throttle once the solenoid is activated. The slave engine will follow whatever speed the lead engine sets. So yes the lead or master engine can control the revs. To work the engines in docking I always die gage and then use both engines traditionally as I find I need to have the revs set differently dependent upon the outside factors. The Glendinning Drive is a remarkable device and some of the best money I have spent.

Paul
Sangraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
As I am heading out of the marina I advance both throttles to 720 rpm. Then I turn on the Glendenning, push the slave throttle to full and control both engines with the master until I am back in a marina. It’s one of those devices that make you wonder how you ever boated with out it.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
My GS (1976 version) won't engage until 8-900 rpm. Likewise, it drops out at about the same rpm coming down. Works like a champ. I want individual throttle control at low (idle) speed for maneuvering.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I never have advanced my slave to full - any idea why they suggest you do that? Can't imagine what would happen if you accidentally hit the sync button to turn it off.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #7
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Nothing, actually. Until (at least on my setup) the slave is returned to fully to the low stop, that throttle is still slaved to the master. After hitting the low stop, the slave functions independently regardless of switch position. I had the same reservations. Test it at low rpm
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
Guru

City: gulf coast
i always wanted maximum control so never engaged the sync until i was away from the dock.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
My GS (1976 version) won't engage until 8-900 rpm. Likewise, it drops out at about the same rpm coming down. Works like a champ. I want individual throttle control at low (idle) speed for maneuvering.
That explains it. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #10
Guru

When my slave is at a higher throttle than the master and I turn off the sync, the slave side throttles up. Now this is usually a hundred RPM or two, so not sure if there is a fail safe that stops it from doing that at a bigger gap.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
If your sych drops out at low RPM you may have a low voltage problem. The solenoid won't stay engaged at low voltage. Check your batteries/alternator output.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #12

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Name: Previous owner GB 42 Classic
Vessel Model: Currently running a 23' CC
I'm trouble shooting a Glendinning issue at this time. Call the plant. They have been immensely helpful. There are preset cutouts at low speed.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #13

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
Will a Glendinning Synchronizer allow you to have both throttles at idle, engage the synchronizer, and control the throttles with just the master or must you advance the throttles before engaging the synchronizer? Ideally, I would like to set it up so the slave throttle does not have to be touched at all after leaving the dock. The master would control both through the entire range from idle on up. Can it be set up that way?

Thanks.

John
According to my manual you are supposed to advance both throttles just past idle (for me that is about 900-1000 RPM), engage synchronizer and then advance the slave all the way to the stop. I was not originally doing that, I engaged at idle, and I had an issue. Initially it worked as expected but after a bit the slave would start "hunting", meaning that it would speed up and then slow down. I re-read the section of the manual on operation and discovered the "advance both throttles past idle" part. Once I started doing that everything worked exactly as expected.

As to having to touch the slave throttle, once you engage the synchronizer and advance it to the stop you don't need to touch it again until you plan to disengage the synchronizer. The master throttle is the only one you need to move to control both engines.

Marty......................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #14
Guru

I upgraded my Glendinnings at the start of last year, so 2017 models. I will have to get the manual out to see about this - mine work absolutely fine with the slave in whatever position I have it in when I turn on the sync.

Something else I do. When moving from the FB to the PH or vice versa, I CAN leave the throttles in gear as they were and set the throttles at the next station where I want them and then push the active button.

However I am never comfortable doing that. So I always put the station I am leaving into neutral, move to the next station and make sure that that station is in neutral and take control in neutral, before moving the throttles and resetting the sync.

I just feel more in control doing that.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySchwartz View Post
According to my manual you are supposed to advance both throttles just past idle (for me that is about 900-1000 RPM), engage synchronizer and then advance the slave all the way to the stop. I was not originally doing that, I engaged at idle, and I had an issue. Initially it worked as expected but after a bit the slave would start "hunting", meaning that it would speed up and then slow down. I re-read the section of the manual on operation and discovered the "advance both throttles past idle" part. Once I started doing that everything worked exactly as expected.
Thanks, Marty. That’s what I was looking for.