Old 12-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #1

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Need bottom paint?

Just a heads up for those doing their bottom soon.

Defender has Pettit Unepoxy Plus on sale right now ridiculously cheap at $65.00 a gallon. (that's a gallon, not quart) I've paid more for house paint. I do have my preferences in antifouling and while I had not considered this one before, it's too good of a deal to pass up.

Its not Pettit's top of the line paint but add a bit of extra copper to this stuff and I'm sure it would stand up to their best. In the Practical Sailor 2008 tests it was one of the top ranked on the market.

I bought 6 gallons, note that Defender Web Site says it is limited supply.

It REALLY pis___ me off the haul out will cost more than the bloody paint. I just don't understand this, I wish I could haul in Canada, it's quarter to half the price of anywhere in Florida.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Maybe true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
Just a heads up for those doing their bottom soon.

Defender has Pettit Unepoxy Plus on sale right now ridiculously cheap at $65.00 a gallon. (that's a gallon, not quart) I've paid more for house paint. I do have my preferences in antifouling and while I had not considered this one before, it's too good of a deal to pass up.

Its not Pettit's top of the line paint but add a bit of extra copper to this stuff and I'm sure it would stand up to their best. In the Practical Sailor 2008 tests it was one of the top ranked on the market.

I bought 6 gallons, note that Defender Web Site says it is limited supply.

It REALLY pis___ me off the haul out will cost more than the bloody paint. I just don't understand this, I wish I could haul in Canada, it's quarter to half the price of anywhere in Florida.
Would you want to haul your boat in Canada and work on it right now? It's the price of admission for all that nice weather your down there for.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Something we may be facing here in Washington too. Our half wits in the Legislature have outlawed copper bottom paint for boats under 60', to take affect in a couple of years. I tried their copper free antifouling paint last haul out and it was terrible.

I'm sure the Oregon and Canadian boat yards will be busy painting the bottoms of Washington boat!!

PS: I like the Pettit line of paints. I painted with Pettit Ultra 60 this time and it should be good for at least 4 years.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #4

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Would you want to haul your boat in Canada and work on it right now? It's the price of admission for all that nice weather your down there for.

Scary, Doesn't say anything on the can about not painting in snow storms

Price of Admission eh? In that case I want a deduction for the inconvenience of having to put up with all these pesky hurricanes and typhoons.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote